"POLL" What DCC System do you prefer?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Which DCC Set Do You USE/Prefer

  • Atlas Commander

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bachmann E-Z Command Walk Around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bachmann Dynamis

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CVP EasyDCC

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lenz LV101

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lenz LV102

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lenz Set-90

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NCE Power One

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NCE PH-10

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uhlenbrock

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESU

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roco

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zimo

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    48
  • Poll closed .
There are a number of limitations to the EZ Command system. It is what I currently have, but is a decent way to start out until you have a better grasp on what you want to live with for years.

You are limited to single digit addresses for locos, and a total of 10 locos max.
You cannot modify any CV's
You cannot access all functions
You can use multiple throttles
You can add a booster for more power
You can add a sort of walk around

All in all it is a very basic system, but does work well and allow you to learn some DCC fundamentals.

It is a nice inexpensive start, I considered just jumping into a Digitrax, but I need to buy too much right now since I am just starting out. So this fit the bill, I bought Digital Diesel Commander off of Ebay, it should get here next week.
 
Now that I have been learning a bunch the last couple months, a big question I have is why is Lenz not more popular? From the reviews I have read and feedback from people who own the system, just seems like it should be a leader.

I just ordered my first DCC decoders for 3 of my engines. Going to try out the EZ Command. Still trying to decide the system I will get that I will live with for a long time. I am actually leaning toward the Lenz Set-100.
 


Now that I have been learning a bunch the last couple months, a big question I have is why is Lenz not more popular? From the reviews I have read and feedback from people who own the system, just seems like it should be a leader.

I don't know if this applies to other towns, but around here there's no knowledge base for Lenz. The only guy who was selling it 10 years ago when I got my system was someone I could never get a straight answer from in all the years he sold analog systems. When Debbie Ames asked me why I didn't consider Lenz, I said because the only rep was this guy. She refers me to a hobby shop - one I knew well. But... their "expertise" was... yep, same guy.

Andy
 
I don't know if this applies to other towns, but around here there's no knowledge base for Lenz. ...
Andy

Same situation here Andy. No knowledge base at all. I don't care how good a system is, it seems that without some kind of local knowledge base, the numbers of that system in use will be few and far between.

Remember the discussion several months ago about the guy who couldn't get his NCE system up and working here? Well there is another NCE user in town now. He uses the NCE Powercab on his test bench and a Digitrax system for his layout.
 
Same situation here Andy. No knowledge base at all. I don't care how good a system is, it seems that without some kind of local knowledge base, the numbers of that system in use will be few and far between.

At the time I bought my first system - Wangrow Sys-1 in 1997 - not very many people around here were using DCC at all, and the ones I knew were all Digitrax. I later bought a Radio Chief in 2000. I switched back and forth between the two systems. The Sys-1 was preferable in every way except for the lack of wireless. After I moved in 2003, I set up my Kato Karpet Route and put the Sys-1 on it, and put the Digitrax on the bench. That lasted until NCE put out the Powercab - I immediately got one for the bench, and ebayed all my brand D except for one DT400R which I use when I'm visiting D layouts. And in December 06, I got an NCE Pro-R, in March 08 I upgraded the radio throttles. And here in March 09, I have sold off all my Sys-1 stuff. So I'm all NCE now except for that DT400R, a few brand D decoders that will stay put for now, and some TCS decoders here and there.

Andy
 
ESU ECoS

ESU's system is seamless. I won't forget the day I ran it up at their HQ in St. Cloud.

Hi BNSF Dude!

Do you own the ESU system, or use it at a club layout? I ask, because I've been debating with myself - for a couple of years now - whether to upgrade to it. So I wanted to get feedback from someone who has used it extensively or has plucked down their own hard-earned cash.

I currently use the older Marklin Digital system (Motorola-based), which is completely compatible with the new Marklin Central Station (developed by ESU) or the ESU ECoS (which also has backwards compatibility with the Marklin Digital system).

The debate has gotten more interesting with Marklin going into the German equivalent of bankruptcy protection. And there is the advantage of the ECoS being able to handle Marklin Digital (Motorola) protocols as well as DCC; the Marklin Central Station does not handle DCC. But the Marklin has a color display which is rather nice.

So any impressions that you have would be appreciated.

David
 
I don't own the ECoS, but I did operate some trains on it at ESU's USA headquarters just north of me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Well. Now that I have tried out the EZ Command, it just will not do. Only having a 28 speed step and not being able to program is a big detriment for me. My first decoder install went well, but the default speed stepping makes the Kato F7A I have perform poorly IMO.

So now I am looking now at getting an NCE Powercab or Digitrax Zephyr. I lean toward the Powercab because of the hammer throttle, but I need to research more about LocoNet. Most of my research (reading reviews and opinions across the net) leads me toward Digitrax, but for some reason many of the people I follow use NCE including Joe Fugate...LOL.
 
NCE PH Pro at the club, NCE Powercab at home. Digitraxx stuff is currently boxed up & probably will be for sale soon!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top