Plan Draft for Chimmike

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
Click to Enlarge

mike02.gif


Staging will require reworking a little. At 2% grade you will be at -5" at the staging yard level. Now that I think about there's no reason that could not be a reverse loop under there so you don't have to back in or out.

In the Rockies Area, wind around a little and make use of tunnels.

I probably should have used a tunnel on the outside track lower right.

This is an operational layout that has continuous running and some big landscaping if you want it. Lots to do. Staging increases your operational abilities tenfold. Don be too light to dismiss because it would be too easy to do so.
 
Nice track plan Chip. You've got a great eye for it.

Those two back to back switches near the grain elevator look odd to me. I think I'd put a single crossover there to preserve the illusion of double track. Though I love double track mains, so my thoughts are a little bias :D
 


Chip, I really like that one.

Could you email the xtrcad file to me? I'll PM you my email address.

I figure I could raise the table height in order to fit the staging underneath, and like you said, reverse loop it back out to the Rockies area and do tunnels and stuff for the main.

I think what I'll do for now is cut off the foam that I have, make the staging level to rise up to the foam level, and build up on top of there.

This works well for me!
 
So, Chip, I've decided to lower the level of the staging below my table so that my hands have room to move cars around and what not. I'm planning on running a 3 or 4 spiral helix.

Any pointers on building the helix?

Thanks
 
I've never built one but have one planned. XtrkCAD has a helix designer. I'm going to loosly follow that. I plan on have pretty fine adjusments using all-thread.
 
sounds good, I'll go in there and see if I can plan it out okay. I'll still have the decreasing grade on the bottom of the layout, so that it can transition into the helix. I figure a nice 3-4 loops will give it plenty of room to traverse down to a nice open staging yard.
 
Hi, Im new to this board, been reading it for awhile though. After 10 years living in apartments Ive finally bought a house and am finally able to get back into model railroading. Ive had a layout similar to that one in my mind for awhile now. I have space for 9' long and can come out 7' on one side and 8' on the other side. Will your design fit on this space in HO scale? I hoping to get started on the benchwork right after deer season.
 
Hi, Im new to this board, been reading it for awhile though. After 10 years living in apartments Ive finally bought a house and am finally able to get back into model railroading. Ive had a layout similar to that one in my mind for awhile now. I have space for 9' long and can come out 7' on one side and 8' on the other side. Will your design fit on this space in HO scale? I hoping to get started on the benchwork right after deer season.

Welcome,

To answer your question, it will fit with some modification--but, your design should be for you and not co-opt of someone else's givens and druthers. I'd suggest two things.

1) Start a new thread so everyone can meet and greet you and add their two cents--Moderators maybe you could just break this one.

2) Read my beginner's guide below in my signature. Takes about 5 minutes to read. You'll get plenty of help with your design here.
 
Thanks chip.
Your layout is similar to the ideas I have for my future layout.
I have read your guide a couple of times, It has been a help.
 


Jake-

Welcome!

I'll start off by telling you that layout won't fit in a space smaller than 12'x4', especially in N scale.

However, you're going larger, via HO scale, so you're going to require some reworking of the plan.

First and foremost, decide on the locomotives you want to use. This can determine your minimum track radius, which will really help you in planning your layout.

Make that a given.

Your druthers can be all the features you want: elevation changes, sidings, dual mains, yards, spurs, wyes, etc., whatever you want, even if it's just loops.

need any help? I'd be happy to give opinions (I'm no pro though!)
 
Ooops. I did not see you wanted to change scales. HO scale takes 3.6 times more space than N scale, so no, you will not be able to use that plan.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top