ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
To answer the questions above...
The Bachmann Nickel Silver EZ Track is far and away superior to the Life Like Steel. I can let this thing sit for months and then just wipe the dust off the rails and go. With the life like it was a constant battle with corrosion, bad contacts, derails, etc.
That being said, we are getting ready for version 3 (or 4? who knows) and I have purchased some 2" foam board in preparation of laying out flex track and #4 and #6 turnouts, and doing some real landscaping. But the Bachmann EZ Track is great, no complaints whatsoever.
Here is a screenshot of the track plan is xTrkCad. I will also attach the actual file to load in the editor.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have learned so much reading through your progress.
I have a question though. I know you have moved on from using the Power Loc track but when you were, how were you able to isolate power to your sidings without the use of a rerailer in each siding? Was there some soldering involved?
I am pretty new to this hobby and am still using the Power Loc track. Down the road I am sure I will upgrade as you have, but for now I am happy with it.
Just revisiting this thread. We have evolved quite far. Transitioned to N scale, a couple different hollow core door layouts. My darling little girl has lost that enthusiasm she once had for the silly choo choo trains, but alas, the great lord above has since blessed us with a son, who may have more of an obsession with these little trains than daddy does! I swear sometimes I have to sneak into the train room just to get 10 minutes of real "work" done (soldering, something else otherwise potentially detrimental to the well being of a 3 year old lol).
And that brings me to my point. The 4X8 HO layout in the corner of the master bedroom has been broken down, and daddy has a 11 X 7 finished walk-in attic to use as a train room. Been running an 36" X 80" hollow core door layout in there for a couple years (as well as sometimes just hiding from reality lol) but it's time for a big boy layout. I started a thread which I will keep updated on our new adventures, here it is:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...le-11-X-7-Looking-for-inspiration-and-advice/
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)