Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good morning.

It's 55 and clear. The high today should be in the mid 80's. It will be clear with lots of sunshine.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 10/2/2008

Wind Chill: 55°F
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 51°F

So Far Today
High: 60°F
Low: 55°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 85 Sunny. Highs in the mid 80s. West winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 55 Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 50s. Northwest winds around 5 mph in the evening becoming northeast after midnight.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010119.jpg
 
Good morning folks

It was 53 F as I headed out this morning. High today will be around 67 F with sun. I need to mow the lawn but I can’t until it dries out from the storms the last few days.

No modeling. We had Cub Scouts last night. We did popcorn fundraising training and I worked with our Tiger Cubs on their Bobcat requirements.

Today my daughter has a volleyball game. This one is supposed to be a benchmark for them as they are taking on one of the powerhouses in local High School volleyball. Supposedly the Middle School teams are very good also, so we will see how Drexel Hill Middle School 7th grade does against Garnet Valley Middle School 7th grade.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Morning from FLORIDA!

Hey GUYS!

Sorry for being away:( I've been tired lately and the will to type my life's adventures weren't on the priority list, rest was!:D I'm Back now well rested and ready to whine:DLOL's

So what have I been up to lately:confused: Hmmmmm:rolleyes: Lets see.....
Go to the park to layout fields and do general Maint. The Kid's are worse this season with messes and unneed damage. So our fixing and repairs have increased. Then I head to the school to watch my son pratice Footyball for 2 1/2 hours then head home with my son and cook dinner and do some chores!

My son Ryan's football career is of and running after a shakey start. Two words that should never be used together or in the same sentence is, "Organized & Sports"!:mad: I my 41 years I have never witnessed any sports program that was ORGANIZED!:mad:

My son is new at the sport and after this past tuesdays game where they actually played him, he came off the field saying, "he loved it, more fun than vidio games, and he want's to be a football player when he grows up!":) Now this is after losing to a team 62-0!:eek: The other team was huge 200+ pounds each and everyone of them:eek: now this is 6-8 grade kids?:confused: his opener game the week before was a sloder at 42-0. His school is new and this is a new team of kids most of them weighing at the most 140 lbs .going against kids of other schools with kids averaging 200+ lbs.
I seen kid (so called 8th graders:confused:) 6' tall 300lbs if not more on the field:eek: Most of the other teams are made up of 2/3rds 8 graders and a third 7th and 6th graders mixed in. Ryans team is 2/3rd 6th graders with 1/3 of them 7th and 8th graders mixed in.......= losing season!:( The teams coach really trys but I'm not sure if he truely knows what he is doing:confused::( But long as my son likes it and he is happy playing and doesn't get dicouraged then I'm happy:D "GO BOBCATS!"

As for my Lawn service the Wet Season has ended way sooner than it should normally and fall weather is setting in quick. with that said the cutting is slowing down some and coupled with the high gas prices and sagging economy......People are holding on to what they got more tightly than ever! so we'll see what's next!

Well got to go..........:)
 


Mornin' all!

Sorry, I've been AWOL too!

Been busy being a full time pastor, full time phone company guy (that'll end soon) and a full time student.

Been praying for you all though.
 
Mornin' everyone!

Philip life does that from time to time. Personally full time retirement is way to busy for me at times..........

Sun is trying to peek through here in the Finger Lakes this morning. The high has already arrived. It is 54°F outside. The weather people predicted a high of 52°. I am glad they are wrong for a change. I have a chimney sweep coming to clean and check my wood stove chimney this afternoon and if the sun holds in there I may start the Fall trimming of shrubbery. Couple of hedges that have really grown with the warm, wet summer. I often keep putting it off and then they are covered in white stuff so i can't do them. Did that last year, so I think I best clip them this year.

Hopefully I will get to do some work on the layout as well today./ I also have to prepare a presentation for our local NMRA Meet in a couple of weeks. The presentation is called "The Care and Feeding of the Tortoise". Paul the meet will be not too far from you. It is in Oakfield, NY - my old stomping grounds when I taught in Elba way back when. More info: http://www.lsdnmra.org/

I did enjoy the dinner and lecture last night. Every now and then it is great to be in the company of people whose minds are way beyond your own. Most of the people who were at the dinner/reception were college students and professors. Only 3 people from The MLK Committee were there. Two of us are local retired teachers and one is a secretary at the college. It is nice to be included in events like this, it keeps my mind sharper and makes me give thought to some deep subjects.

Have a great day!

(edit) Chimney Sweep was just here. Says the chimney is safe and sound. I should be able to stay warm this Winter.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey, you should be good for NASCAR if you can drive like you did with no shoes!

Chris, good to see you again. Grade school football is always sort of an unorganized mess but the important thing is that your son still likes it. If he makes it on the high school team, he'll start learning some fundamentals that are escaping him now. The kids playing now are sure way bigger than when I played. I'm 5'8" and was about 135 when I was playing (offense, of course, not defense) and I can remember some pretty big kids chasing me when I had the ball but nothing like you describe. No rain here at all so even the trees are dropping their leaves. If the economy continues the way it is, I will have to reevaluate having lawn service next year too. I'm sure hoping things get better before I have to make that decision.

Phillip, nice to see you too and I'm glad to hear you're keeping busy. As Ray always says, retirement is a full-time job too so I expect you'll still be just as busy even without a "real" job.

Ray, I've got a bunch of pruning to do also that I've been putting off until the cooler weather. It's finally just warm here instead of unbearably hot so I need to spend some time this weekend with the hedge trimmers and chain saw. I have some Mimosa trees that have gotten so big that they are almost up to the house from the woods. Those things grow like weeds so I'm going to cut them all back this year.

Looks like the market is nervous about the "bailout" bill with the market down 376 right now. I can't believe the Senate would take a $700 billion bill, pile on another $200 billion in pork barrel spending, and then send it back to the House. I called my congressman and asked him to vote against it. Almost all the things that will really help, like increasing FDIC insurance and changing the mark to market accounting rules, can be done by just a signature from the head of the FDIC and the SEC. Almost all the rest will reward bad decisions. We are going to suffer no matter what we do and I'd like to see us all suffer equally.

The "cold" front is now gone somewhere up by Ray's house since it's 89 degrees again after a high of 88 yesterday. It did get down to 54 last night and actually felt a little chilly in my shorts. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
10-03-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
 
Jeffrey, you should be good for NASCAR if you can drive like you did with no shoes!
The walking braces are like very heavy boots but with no toes. The bottoms of them are over 2 inches thick. The right one is thicker than that because my right leg is an inch and a half shorter than the left.


Good morning.

It's 62 and clear. The high is expected to be in the mid 80's and it'll be clear with plenty of sunshine.

I made the decision yesterday on the upgrade of my DCC system. Today I'm ordering a Digitrax DCS50 and having it sent overnight mail. The Bachmann system will be going into mothballs should it be needed again. Speaking of which, I have a brand new Bachmann EZ-Command system that's still in it original plastic packaging. It's the transformer, controller, documentation and DVD. Anybody need one? I'll also be stripping the decoders from a couple of Bachmann locos today. I have a couple of Athearn locos waiting for cheap decoders.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 10/3/2008

Wind Chill: 62°F
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 55°F

So Far Today
High: 65°F
Low: 62°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 85 Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s. Southwest winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds around 5 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010108-2.jpg
 
Good morning folks. The traintastic week continues! I am off to Duluth for our 'anniversary' trip! We will be riding behind a restored Soo Pacific while we admire what nature has to offer in Fall. We are also going to the railroad museum. I know my wife will be bored out of her mind, but it's a small price for her to pay for my happiness. ;) This is payback for all of the Nascar races we've been to. I'll have to make sure it isn't ALL about trains. Maybe we'll have to go shopping or something!

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I know I will!
 
Good morning folks

It was 53 F this morning on its way to 70 F.

No trains last night. My daughter’s volleyball game was exciting. Things started off with a change in time. Her game was scheduled for 4:30 PM but it was moved up to 3:30 PM. I did not find out until 3:15 PM so I was late getting there. Apparently the bus bringing the other school’s 8th grade team got lost and was late getting to her school. The other team was very good and well coached. My daughter’s team won the first game 25-23. They got whopped in the second 25-13. The sudden death game was exciting and ended with my daughter’s school winning 17-15. My daughter played all three games. She scored several points on volleys and had a few saves. Next game is Tuesday against Beverly Hills Middle School which is Drexel Hill Middle School’s cross town rival and the other middle school in our school district.

This weekend is nuts. Tomorrow and Sunday we have Cub Scout Popcorn Show and Sells at a local hardware store. My son is working both days. My FIL wants to take my daughter out shopping for her birthday. He has been trying all week since her birthday on Monday but volleyball games and practices, music lessons, and school stuff have prevented it. We also need to do the grocery shopping.

I will be happy if I get a chance to look at the trains this weekend.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Mornin' everyone!

So far it has been sunny here in the Finger Lakes this morning..... Currently 48°F with a predicted high of 52°F. Fall is definitely here.

I will be spending a good chunk of the day trimming a hedge, raking up the left overs, bringing in fall veggies (winter squash, peppers, and a some late string beans) from the garden, and cutting up a few smallish tree limbs that have been dropped off for my wood pile. If I get that all done today, I plan to spend the rest of the day playing with the trains.

Have a great day everyone!
 
Morning All ! Cool and brisk 47 going up to 53 with a mix of rain and sun here on the Niagara Frontier Have to get going and help a crying beagel so hope you all have a nice day !!!
 
Sunny here but a cold wind is a blowing.

got to work and a work mate collapsed in front of me, had to go to hospital poor lad, not a clue what happened but he was out for 20 min's vomiting.

And tonight it's Fireworks,,, the biggest firework comp in the UK at southport, six teams are after the title over the next three nights, 8pm and 9.15pm.

Chris Hang in there, the grass will be back
 
Jeffry, maybe those NASCAR driver should try your boot. :) I have the Digitraxx DCS 50 also and it was a nice improvement over the Bachmann E-Z Command. Not overly complicated but enough to do all those neat CV adjustments to locomotives you can't do with the Bachmann. The only problem is that there are so many adjustments you can make, especially with sound equipped locos, you can sit there and fool around for an hour with one locomotive.

Steve, I hope your colleague is OK. It kind of sound like my Meniere's attacks. I can get spinning vertigo and be on the floor barfing in a minute. Luckily, I don't have these too often but they are not a lot of fun when I do get them. :( I assume the riot police are suitably equipped for the football matches. :eek:

Ray and Paul, it sure sounds like the cold and miserable days I remember from Cleveland in the fall. At least there's the hope of Indian Summer to look forward to before things really go down hill.

Corey, have a great time on the train ride and at the museum. If I was you, I'd find something a little more...exciting...to do with your wife other than just shop if you want to see her on a train again. :D

Tom, congrats on your daughter's team win. You have three time the energy I ever had though.

Still like summer down here in the Heart of Dixie. 88 degrees with a few cumulus clouds but at least the humidity is low. The downside is that it's sucking the moisture out of all the plants and we're getting brush fires breaking out all over the place. I think our arsonist from two years ago is back at work.

The House passed the bailout bill and now the market is starting to fall again after a rally before they passed the bill. Somehow I don't think we've come up with the final answer to our economic problems.
 
The House passed the bailout bill and now the market is starting to fall again after a rally before they passed the bill. Somehow I don't think we've come up with the final answer to our economic problems.


I'm starting to really not trust the fed. government!:mad: JMO, we're leaning way to much towards Socialism/Robinhoodism it's scary:mad: Jim, if the government/special intrest groups would just stand back and let our economy will fix it's self. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
 
doomsday is approaching i fear

just read this :)
The USGovt swallowed two really big ugly hairy hungry tapeworms, that will possibly each cost an extra $1 trillion in unplanned expenses. Actually, my guess is the figure might be conservative. A year ago, when clowns like Bernanke and harlots on Wall Street were estimating the entire mortgage fiasco would result in $100 to $200 billion losses, my figure was $1.5 to $2.0 trillion. As the time bombs go off, they will do so in dribs & drabs, actually giant dribs & giant drabs.
 
Good Afternoon Fellows!
I'm back from roughing it in the wilds. Ken, I actually had to start the campfire by hand (well sort-of, fireplace starter:o:rolleyes:). The weather was excellent and the park was quiet with only four other campers there. I got the pups swimming and they had a ball...didn't want to come out of the water. We took them on a nature trail walk and it was stop, smell, go 5 feet, stop, smell... They tree'd bears and tigers and lions and ...:D

Jim/Chris/Steve/Jeff: I think we need a bailout to refurbish our layouts. Dang, if California can ask for $7 billion, why can't we.

Remember the pups up in my arms. Can't do that now!:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Just think, if the bailout bill hadn't passed, the market might have closed down 157 points! Chris, you are absolutely right. If the government just got out of the way and let the weak fail so the strong could make the weak assets productive, we'd have more pain in the short run but a lot stronger economy in the long run. Imagine going to dentist and having the choice of getting the Novocaine 1 mm at a time or getting the needle in and out as quickly as possible. I'll take the short amount of pain any day.

I agree with Rex. We should start a model railroad trust and then apply to the Treasury Department for grants since all of us buying some nice, new locomotives would help the national economy. Wait, that won't help, they're all made in China. :) Those pups hardly deserve that name any longer, Rex. Glad you had a good time. Except for the lack of rain, it's hard to ask for nicer weather than we've had down here.

Steve, the next shoe to drop is the credit card market. When that occurs, your source will have hugely underestimated the exposure. If just 10% of Americans don't pay their credit card debt, someone's going to lose about $5 trillion, which is on top of all the other "toxic" debt we have. I don't know that doomsday is coming but the economy as we have understood it since 1933 is going to undergo some drastic changes.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top