Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good morning.

It's 64 and clear. The high is expected to be in the mid 80's and it will be partly cloudy.

Yesterday I mowed my parents yard (if you could see it you'd know what a job that is, even with their huge mower) then did a few odd jobs around the property. Afterwards my mother and I went to El Giro's restaurant in town. It's good that she's able to get around again and we want her to get out of the house some. After that I came home and worked on the layout a bit and puzzled over the mystery drive in my GP35/S6 (chop-cut-rebuild) to try and determine where the parts came from in case I need to get replacements. I'm 95% certain the frame is Kato. The motor may be Roco. It was made in Austria. The trucks are the big mystery. They look ALMOST like the trucks in my Kato RSC2 but there are differences. All I can find on them is 'China'. I'm fairly certain the flywheels are Athearn. I can't complain about it's operation. It runs smooth as silk and I certainly have no complaint about it's price (FREE).

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/28/2008


Wind Chill: 66°F
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 55°F

So Far Today
High: 68°F
Low: 64°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph NE

Today High: 85 Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 80s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s. North winds around 5 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010097-1.jpg
 
Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Jeffrey!

"Its another rainy day
Just a rainy, rainy day
Its another rainy day
Just a rainy, rainy day"

That was the weather forecast for the Finger Lakes today. Hope you enjoyed it. I am going to drink another cup of hot coffee, take my shower, and spend some time in the layout rooms. Last night I got the turnout replaced and a large piece of fascia put in place.

Have a great day!
 
Hi fellows! Hope all are having a good weekend.
Of course my weekend has been grand with BAMA destroying Georgia last night. Bama is still curiously lacking in the 2nd half! But wow, they are awesome in the first.:D

Time to shut down the layout, computers, etc., and concentrate on the packing and go ahead with the hookup to the truck. Guess we will head out early in the morning with a great weather forecast (H mid 80's L upper 50's). Ken: The travel trailer is a luxury suite to us compared to the discount store tent we used when we first started camping 40+ years ago :D. Thanks all for the good wishes and see you toward the end of the week.:)
 


09-29-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
 
Good morning.

It's 68 and clear. The high should be in the mid 80's and it will be partly cloudy.

Cable problems continue to plague me so I probably won't be on much today.
I've been doing research on different DCC systems and have narrowed it down to two (in terms of price). The Digitrax Zephyr ($179.98 - Walther's) and the MRC Prodigy Express ($118.54 - Amazon). I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the Zephyr about locos just suddenly stopping and about uncontrolled runaways. I certainly wouldn't want a parked loco on a siding to suddenly start up and charge into the middle of a passing freight, though Gomez Addams would probably love it. This has me leaning more toward the MRC system. The 1.6 amp power doesn't bother me. I already have a 5 amp booster that should work well with the system plus I'll only be running 4 locos at a time - max.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/29/2008

Wind Chill: 67°F
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 59°F

So Far Today
High: 68°F
Low: 66°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph NNE

Today High: 85 Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s. North winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 60 Mostly clear. Lows near 60. North winds around 5 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010058.jpg
 
Good morning folks

It was 65 F this morning. Our high today will be 77 F without rain. All it seemed to do this weekend was rain. We did have times of sun but they were short.

It was a busy and somewhat nutty weekend. Friday we took delivery of our Cub Scout’s pack popcorn so I was running around like crazy. By the time we got done dealing with that it was time for my son’s guitar lesson. The rest of the weekend was spent housecleaning and decorating the house for Halloween. We are pretty much done the inside. Due to the wet weather we have not started the outside. We also managed to get my son his Halloween costume. It is a zombie and since zombies are not politically correct he will have to come up with something else for his school Halloween parade.

Sunday was our 17th wedding anniversary. We did not do anything special. We did go to dinner to a sandwich type place that we like. We were not interested in anything fancy. We just wanted a good meal for a reasonable price. Today is my daughter’s 13th birthday. We will have a little family celebration tonight. She and her mother are in the process of planning her party for next month. Something about a mall shopping party.

Football, where do I begin? I pulled my son out last week after they decided to move him back to varsity. He was doing well with JV. He was learning and enjoying the game again. Under no circumstances did he want to go back to varsity. After my conversation with one of the coaches I realized that they were bigger jerks than I had thought. I always love when a coach says that they don’t need another parent telling them what to do. Of course when I responded with a question as to why so many kids want off his team he did not have a response. Then he tried the old why don’t you coach to which I told him that I have done my years as coaching and then I asked him if I was a coach would he listen to me and follow my recommendations and why is being coach any more important than a concerned parent. Basically all I got was a blank stare and silence. My son is both relieved and upset. He is upset because he wants to play football and knows he will have to wait to next year. (We will go to another organization). He is relieved because he no longer has to deal with these horrible coaches any longer.

I cleaned up the layout and the workbench over the weekend. I put a lot of things away that were just laying around. I helped my son replace couplers on a couple of his cars and we ran trains for a while.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good Morning ! From Dreary Lake Erie ~ A little overcast and sprinkles with a high of 65 . Not much to cheer about . Happy Anniversary Tom and your wife and m,any more. Also a Happy Birthday for your daughter , Well the Mets lost on the last day of the season . So what else is new. AT least I can watch there prospects here in Buffalo now that they signed a minor league agreement with our local team . And the Buffalo Bills stand in first place in the AFC Eastern Division undefeated . last week on SF-FI station The GHosthunters did their show from the old Buffalo Central Terminal . They found some paranormal activity there . It's quite a place to see. Their trying to renovate but it's a big project so we will have to see. I will post some pics. of the grand old place that I took awhile ago . Well have to get going so hope you all have a terrific day !!!!
 
Mornin' everyone!

Tom congrats on 17 years of marriage. I think you did the right thing with your son....... Maybe if enough peole pull their kids from their program, they will wise up.

We have a day of partly here in the Finger Lakes. Very overcast right now but the sun is supposed to peek through from time to time. Currently 58° with a high later of 64°F. Another nice day to work on the layout.

Hope you all have a great day!
 
Good afternoon to all,
The forcast here was for possible rain last night and that didn't happen, but it said rain this morning and that didn't happen either. Then I see where they are now forcasting Thunder Showers later this afternoon or evening and I do see some clouds starting to build-up so hopefully I'll get some much needed rain!?

I see Rex headed out on a trip and, Jeffery is researching DCC units and Ray is getting more work done on his layout. I think I'm the only one that needs to get going onmy layout and that's what I'm going to do.

Well I just added some new informaion to my supplies listing about now being able to accept electronic deposits to my account when ordering. If interested take a look at my last listing on page 2 for the details.

Hope everyone has a good day and hope Rex has a good trip and hope you get the DCC unit of your desires. Jefery, you also need to be concerned with the cost of the decoder
boards for the unit you choose as well as the decoder quality and price.

Take care, David
 
Well I got the last pc of big wood out of the yard today. I loaded the 8 foot tree trunk by myself and it was 21 inches in dia. No big deal I just went to the True Value and borrowed the engine lift. Hooked a chain around the middle, started jacking the hydraulic cylinder and backed the truck under it. The log is at the saw mill being made into 1 1/8th" planks. That Walnut should make some very nice stuff after it has dried and then run thru the kiln. I almost got the yard mowed today but I had to get my grand son at day care at 3PM because his daddy had to work late. That took about two hours out of my work time but he is well worth it. He is gramps train buddy. He loves to go into the train room and look but now he has started to want to play with the good engines so I have to keep an eye on him. I need to get the Digitrax Super Empire Builder system hooked up so WE can run trains. Come on GRAMPS get with the program.
 


Good morning.

It's 64 and clear. The high should be in the mid 80's and it will be partly cloudy.

I didn't get much done on the layout yesterday as I've been busy with other things. Have an appointment to get castings made of my feet today so the work on my shoes can start. Once they're finished I'll be able to get around a bit better.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/30/2008

Wind Chill: 64°F
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 58°F

So Far Today
High: 66°F
Low: 64°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph N

Today High: 88 Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 58 Partly cloudy until late night then becoming mostly clear. Lows in the upper 50s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010107-1.jpg
 
Good morning folks

It was a chilly 54 F as I hit the pavement. High will be 76 F.

We had a little family celebration for my daughter’s birthday last night. Not much else happened. I didn’t get any modeling done. I just kind of hung out with the kids.

Today will be busy. My daughter has a volleyball game after school and flute lesson in the evening.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
G'morning,

Haven't been online much lately since I've been working on that WKW turntable kit. Every time I think the 'hard part' is over, I encounter another challenge. The most recent one was trying to solder wires to the rails and still have them fit (line up) properly, while holding a hot soldering iron ~1/2 inch from the styrene TT bridge. One thing's for sure: if I were to do stuff like this every few days, I'd never have to worry about going senile, LOL!

Have a good'un
 
Mornin' everyone!

The weather prognostication for the Finger Lakes is: "A few showers early then thundershowers by the afternoon. High 67F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%." Just another beautiful day here. Actually a good reason to spend the day near the layout. I have to go to the dentist for my 6 month cleaning and checkup this afternoon, but not much else going on.

Ken I have the 90' WKW turntable, and I remember very well the "fun" of getting all that done.

Tom I remember the many years where kids and family had to come before anything I wanted to do..... They were the best years of my life! Enjoy them.

Jeffrey I bet you are looking forward to getting those new shoes. Hope they work well for you and can be made quickly.

Have a great day all!
 
Good Morning ! From Western New York ! Weather hasn't ;t changed since yesterday , same overcast and rain ,Not much else gong on so I guess it's a good day to spend on the layout . Jeffrey hope you get a good fit on your shoes. you just reminded me I need to get y=to the podiatrist for some new diabetic shoes . Well gonna get going so hope you all enjoy the day !
 
Morning, everyone.

Been a little busy with the stock market. Whew, what a wild ride!I was afraid the "bailout" bill wouldn't pass and my fears came true. I don't believe it will work anyway but the Congress will scrape together some kind of bill by the end of the week to try and restore confidence. It won't work either. The stock market is almost a secondary player now since most people who wanted to sell are already out and all we'll see is some cherry picking. We'll have some recovery today but that will only last until the next big bank failure or money market implosion. The ultimate outcome of this is going to be a deep and prolonged recession and the only thing the government can do is stop the immediate bleeding.

Jeffrey, I'm sure it will be nice to have some comfortable shoes again. I was looking at your locomotive picture and I think it's another Frankenstein. :) Looks like an Atlas frame to me with a Roco motor. The flywheels look like Athearn and the trucks look like Tyco. No idea though except that someone assembled them out of pieces-parts.

Rex, enjoy your camping trip, couldn't ask for any nicer weather this late in the year. Bama is now rated 2, 3, or 4, depending on which poll you believe. I think it's the first time we've been this high in the rankings this early since 1994 so everyone will be gunning for us. I hope they can start playing two halves of football instead of just one. Ohio State and Auburn also won so it was a good day for football.

Tom, getting your boy out of that dysfunctional football program was a good idea. He'll be disappointed for a while but he'll be a lot happier next year if he can get on a real team. Happy Anniversary to your wife and you and Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Ray and Paul, no worries about clouds and drizzle around here. It's still summer, with nothing but sunny skies and highs in the mid-90's the last 5 days. We will have our driest September on record with a lousy 1.06 inches of rain. All those hurricanes around us and we got squat from any of them. My lawn is dying again and I can't afford to water it. :(

BTW, Jeffrey, the runaway problems I've heard of are with MRC decoders, not with the Digitraxx Zephyr. Where have you been reading these reports?

Larry, I guess you weren't kidding when you said you had a LOG to move. :eek: Good job getting it out of there without killing yourself. Maybe you can end up with a walnut paneled train room. It's nice that you have train buddy in your grandson. I'm hoping for the same thing some day.

Ken, everyone who has built one of those 90' Walthers turntables is full of horror stories. I think the only thing they have going for them is that they're cheap.

Like I said, it's sunny and hot down here so I'm going to see if I can spend some time in the basement working on my crossing gates. I have one that I glued in place and I think the glue must have made it down the same hole as the wire gate actuator. Now the gate moves but the wire doesn't. I wonder if brushing some acetone up the shaft would help before I start yanking on it? It is, of course, plastic glue, nothing simple like white glue. Oops. :)
 
Jim and everyone else,,, the economy is in deep do do,,, gold is good though, whats nickel silver rail going to be worth Mmmm could be used as currency if the dollar dies a death :) fingers crossed it won't come to that
 
Ken
Haven't been online much lately since I've been working on that WKW turntable kit. Every time I think the 'hard part' is over, I encounter another challenge.
Way to go Ken, these things are not problems but "Challenges" :) thats what i get told,,, it's not a problem, it's a challenge

Anyway thanks to the fool's who screwed up the economy we have to say goodbye to 164 staff, as we are a US owned company we are in a tight spot you could say
 


Good Moriing All,
It's another sunny day here in Coarssgold with the current temp being 72* & High of 92*,
too hot for me.

Bill, I just happen to remember, looking at your dinner picture, that when I was back in Mass they had several of those around, very unique indeed and in most cases the food was pretty good too. The one I remember the most was the Orchid dinner on Huddlestone and Rockdale, you could hardly get a seat it was so busy.

Ray, you sure seem to get the rain in that area, things sure must be fairly lush and green
and it does help of the water bill of keeping the yard watered.

Ken, hope you have a good vacation ad trip going and comming back.

Jeffery hope things are going well for you too.

Jim, Keep up the good work of helping the forum members.

Take care and Keep em Rolling!

Ps: Electronic payment is now available when purchasing supplies through Foothill Station.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top