Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good Morning ALL ! Another nice day here in our part of the good old USA . A bit cold this morning but going up to 72 with plenty of sun . Not much Else going on . Jim here's hoping the market turns up soon . It galls me that we have to bail out these idiots and the government let them do it to begin with . Sure wish they would bail us out when we make stupid decisions . Well enough of a rant .Hope you all have a nice day !!!!
 
Mornin' everyone!

Paul absolutely agree! I don't want to get started..............

Another crisp Fall day here in the Finger Lakes. Currently 59°F under sunny skies with a high of 69°F later in the day. I have to start the truck up and take her downtown to be inspected today. I may cruise the city a bit and glean some firewood that is setting at the curb as well.

See everyone later!
 
Apples

Ray too bad you don't live by me. There's a lumber yard right up the street and they leave pallets out for pick up all the time .Here's the fruits of our labor . My wife Gloria picking apples and Buddy all tired out after a day of apple picking ;) ;)
 


Got the visit to the doc out of the way for now. The fitting wasn't scheduled for today. It was mainly getting the paperwork out of the way. Somewhere along the line there was a foul-up in communications. The dos got the message that I needed diabetic shoes. What I need are custom molded shoes. Big, big difference there. I go back next Tuesday (30th) for measurements and to have castings made.
 
Frosty start them wham,,, 70+ degrees ???,
the children have all got a nasty tummy bugs and were sent home from school today,,, Y-U-K. The wife saw the consultant, she say's it was nothing, no problems on the scans, he wants her to wear a recording machine for 24 hours to be sure but i'd say it'll be fine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Steve that is sure good news on the wife! I have been wondering how she has been doing. Hope your kids are feeling better. I had something disagree with me last night just about the time I was heading out the door to a pack committee meeting. Came back in the house and went to the "reading" room. Then I called them and said they wouldn't want me around. Then went back to the little room some more. I am much better today, must have been somethin' I et....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey, I don't mind helping to pay for your shoes. This is why we have things like Medicare and SSDI - to help out people who really need it.

Now, when it comes to this idiodic $700 billion bailout, that's another whole story. The taxpayer should not be the one absorbing the losses from bad business decisions. The fallout from the economy unwinding is going to be painful for the worlwide economy but we need to let the weak fail so the strong can take over their poorly managed assets. It's going to be painful in the short run but we'll be much better off in the long run. Things are still going to fail, the only difference is the taxpayer will have another few trillion in debt piled on them while they still lose their jobs and houses. Trying to manage a worldwide economy is like trying to control a hurricane.

Paul, that's a might fine looking orchard you have there. Are all those trees yours? Looks like you could open a nice fruit stand.

Steve, that's good news that the scans turned out fine on your wife. She'll wear a Holter monitor that will pick up any unusual, short-lived heart rythym disturbances but I think the results from that will be fine too. I'll still keep her in my prayers. Sorry about the kids but they'll be fine once the bug goes away.

Ray, funny you should mention it but I had some kind of short-lived GI upset yesterday too. I don't know if it was something I ate or a bug but I got some extra reading done in the library too. :eek:

Only got down to 67 so our promised cool down didn't quite happen. It's 89 now but still nice with the low humidity. We really need rain again, with no rain for the past three weeks and nothing on the horizion for at least a week. Plenty of rain in the Caribbean though, and that disturbance still looks like it has hurricane possibilities although it's starting to behave a little strange. I'm still betting you guys on the east coast have some wild weather for the weekend.
 
Well, looks like Al is back again over across the street impersonating Jeffrey again.......... Doing a very bad job of it as well.... LOL Poor guy needs help big time!

I have spent most of the evening finishing a batch of CDs for a school customer. Got them all burned, packed, and ready to be delivered. Didn't find time to scavenge for wood around town, but did start cleaning out the second driveway of sawdust and wood chips so my son can put his trasiler back in it and let my lawn recover (not to mention get mowed...).

Jim if you had a GI upset, I had a GI upset, and Steve's kids have it, maybe it's something Flo has been using here!?! Sure hope she doesn't get her milk and cream from China! :eek: :eek: :mad: Over there at least the person from the ministry of silly walks in charge of milk safety will probably get the firing squad. The CEOs of all our financial institutions screwing over the poor will end up getting a bonus! (I don't believe I just wrote that...:o )
 
The trash men are going to love me in the morning. I have two very large containers of Walnuts sitting by the roadside. After they dump those two I will refill them when they come back down the other side of the street they will be filled again and ready for re dumping. I have never seen so many nuts off of that tree before and now I will never see another nut from that tree again thank the Lord and pass the chainsaw. All that is left in the yard is the 24" by 8' log that I hope to take to the saw mill and make it into project wood. I miss the shade already but another tree will be planted next year and maybe I can find a rapid growing variety that will not leave a mess for me to clean up.
 


Ray, I haven't checked in across the street but I'll have to see what Al is up to now. He can be a real hoot once gets a roll on. Maybe you're right about Flo...time to check here health inspection certificate. :)

Larry, sounds like quite a productive tree. Too bad it wasn't in an orchard some place instead of littering up your yard. I never will understand hwat makes people plant trees like walnuts in yards. Sounds like you have some nice walnut lumber once it's cut up and dried though, so I guess that's one good thing. Good walnut ain't cheap no more.

If you're looking for a fast growing, nice looking replacement, check out the Royal Empress tree at http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/EmpressTree.htm. Has beautiful flowers in the spring, nice big leaves for summer, and they are easy to clean up in the fall. It should grow fine in Indiana. We had one in Ohio and it was a really nice tree.
 
09-24-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
 
Good morning.

It's 72 and clear. The high will be in the upper 80's and it will be partly cloudy.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/24/2008


Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 67°F

So Far Today
High: 74°F
Low: 72°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph ENE

Today High: 88 Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 60s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

L&A 2273 leads two MGRy F7's through the south circle.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010023.jpg
 
Good morning folks

It was 62 F as I finally headed to the office this morning. High today will be 75 F and sunny. According to the guessers this will be the last time we see the sun until Sunday as rain is moving in.

I am late today because I had to drop the van off for state inspection. Hopefully it won’t cost an arm and a leg. The only thing I am worried about is the brakes.

No modeling last night.

We had a scare last night at football practice. One of my son’s friends went down during a blocking drill and could not move. He lay on the ground for about 20 minutes while we waited for the ambulance. Just before the ambulance arrived he was able to get and stand with assistance. He did go to the hospital. My son was a little upset over it. I did not see what happened because my son was working with the quarterbacks and running backs at the time and I was watching him centering.

Tonight is our Cub Scout Recruitment Night. We are hoping to pick up about 8 to 10 new scouts. I am currently aware of new boys who will be showing and potentially a third boy. We hope to get our numbers up to 30 which will give us half the number of boys that were in the pack four years ago when my incompetent predecessors took over and almost killed the pack.

My daughter also has her first school volleyball game today.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good Morning ALL ! Another beautiful day here on the Niagara Frontier . Wish I could bottle it up and use it this winter ! Sunny and 74 can't be beat . Jim that is an orchard that we pick apples at every year . I don't own it but it's really nicely kept. Tom football is a brutal sport . I played it in high school and some college and I would not let my son play when he was growing up . Sorry it's just my opinion . Last year we had a member of the Buffalo Bills who was hurt and through the graces of God and a good team of doctors he can walk again . Well have to get going . Hope you all have a nice day !!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning, everyone.

Tom, I sure hope that player is OK today. As Paul said, football can be a brutal sport at times. I was lucky never to have a serious injury when I played but I have friends who did and it was the luck of the draw, I guess. Neither of my two boys were interested in playing, which was OK with me.

Paul, that does look like a really nice orchard. We have some peach orchards down here where you can pick your own and we always enjoy that.

Morning, Jeffrey, looks like you're getting our sunny, warm weather too.

Wonder where Chris is? Must be our cutting even more lawns. :) And how about Chip (Spacemouse)? I haven't seen him for a while either.

It's breezy today but should get into the upper 80's. That tropical disturbance off the Dominican Republic is trring to get tis act together but it is under a lot of wind shear and I'm not sure it will make it to hurricane status. I still expect to see whatever it becomes join with the low that will develiop offshore from North Carolina and give the east coast fits this weekend so start tying things down now.

The market is up 8 whole points this morning. Maybe everything will turn out to be just fine. :rolleyes:
 
Football is what screwed my right knee up. In a game I was in while in high school an player on the opposing team lunged for me and caught me right at the knees, folding my right knee backwards and breaking the shin bone three inches below the knee. Ever since then that leg has never been right and has always caused me problems.
 
Afternoon all, great day today with loads of sun, pity all three kids are sick,,,
Ray i have the pick of three reading rooms to choose from :) glad your better
 
Afternoon everyone!

I have had a busy morning today. My son and my granddaughter showed up just as I finished my coffee. He has been busy finishing painting the hull on the old sailboat i got for him several years ago. I got to watch Livy while he finished up the primer. She wasn't happy as she thought Dada was going to leave her here and go someplace without him. She is daddy's little girl! She was fine playing with me once she found out Dada wasn't leaving. Then I went to get a haircut and got there to find 4 people ahead off me. On the way home I picked up another sheet of tempered Masonite for the fascia on the layout. My son is back this afternoon (minus Livy) to put on the final coat of paint on the boat. Hopefully this weekend we will be able to get it back on the trailer and out of the yard (into my driveway).

My father played town team football back in the 1930's before padds and face guards. He was knocked out by a collision with another players knee directly on his nose. Of course back then "real" men didn't go to a doctor for m inor little injuries like that. He waited 3 or 4 days and then went to doc. He was lucky, if he had been hit from a slightly different angle the blow could have killed him. Needless to say I wasn't allowed to play Football in HS. I did play soccer though. Only intramural as they didn't have interscholastic soccer around here back then. My sons were both runners and were in track and cross country. Running 8 to 10 miles was nothing for them...... Took after their mom I think.

I have been wondering what has happened to Chris as well.... Hope he is OK. Spacemouse hasn't been around over here in quite a while. I think his business and family have been keeping him very busy.

Have a great day everyone!
 


Good afternoon to all from Coarsegold, Ca.
I see everyone has been busy in one form or another as have I. More brush cutting of at least a couple hundred Tarr Weed plants divided between two locations. Thank God for the MTD/Yardman 4 cycle Weedeater and brush blade. It's a detachable shaft, splits in half, to attach differend attachments
and head. The great thing about it is that it's very quiet operating in compareson to many so it very enjoyable to use and plenty of power.

As far as working on the C & S West Short line I've come to the conclusion that my hold up is the fact I put down butcher paper on the section that I photographed earlier and I've been debating on what to do next as I'm used to working with Celotex which has an White suface that I would draw my track work on and then begin to glue the ties directly to the celotex in areas
where the track is at ground level as the main line is at this section but the buthcer paper [BP] which has the trackplan drawn on it is not secured to the insulation board beneath it and I've come to the conclusion I'd better take the BP off and paint the surface of the Sound board a light to medium tan so I can transfer the track plan on it directly and work as usual. The loose paper
was a bad idea although cheap as I already had it on hand. Oh well, live and learn.

Jim, You said" David, I forgot to include in my previous post that you were reading too much into my question about you taking paypal. I meant in no way to question your honesty or reliability. If you did take paypal, I could pay with my credit card, whcih gives me airline miles. Nothing more than that. I can pay you with an electronic check just as easily.

I'll have to check with my bank to see how that works as that would solve a lot of problems an possibly make folks feel more secure, and provide me with a positive way to know the items have been paid for in advance just like using a credit card only cheaper I imagine if there is any charge at all?
Thanks for the thought!

I'll let everyone know under my advertisment once I find out for sure.


Hope everyone has a good day!

Remember, Freight damage occurs due to a heavy hand on the Johnson Bar or Throttle when coupling so don't ge too agressive. I learned this first hand at an SP yard when an engin friend let me run the 1500? Diesel he was assigned. You could hear the Oil canning for quite a lond distance I was told!
Oh, I gave him back the throttle after that. That was my second time to couple, the first wasn't too bad, too cofident and wham.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top