Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Afternoon gents,,,
ray Sorry to hear about your BIL, the wife see's the effects of liver failure every shift at the hospital, it never get's any easier to deal with no matter how many times you do it, it's a very sad way to end up.

Falling apart or not this better not upset the chances of emigrating or i'll be a tiny bit mad, but if it does there are other options we can take

Jim the mad thing is nobody in my family has had anything like it, the consultant did say it can pop up from nowhere though ??? very strange indead, ever since i turned 40 things have gone totally pear shaped, i must end very soon :) :) :)
 
Mornin' everyone!

Thank you for your thoughts for my BIL. Bernie took to drinking heavily after the death of his 6 year old son from a congenital disorder. That was well over 20 years ago. I was clued in by my SIL at the party for Barney (FIL) that Bernie was not well. Unfortunately Bernie hasn't really been to a doctor in about 20 years and told me he had a new Dr., the same one that was treating his father at the nursing home. By the looks of his pot belly last week I was thinking he has some liver problems. Sometimes I hate being right.....

I am finishing up the (hopefully) final draft for a CD that just hasn't gone together easily. The teacher in charge of it e-mailed me yesterday that 2 of the pieces had skips and garbled sounds........ Probably from burning them on the failing Superdrive on my G5. It has been replaced and (knock on wood) appears to be working fine. However........... The 200 CDs I just delivered to the same school were all done on the old drive. So they may be defective as well. There goes the profit from that account!

Its a cloudy, damp, and generally yucky day here in the Finger Lakes. currently at the high for the day of 64°F. Just started raining again. We had a thunderstorm in the middle of the night with some lightning strikes very close by. The type that make you jump about 5 feet straight up in the air when you have been fast asleep. My cat was sleeping next to me in bed and he was up and gone!!!!!! About 3 more hit nearby and then it quieted down. This the first rain of any consequence we have had this month and the air conditioners are silent (as in off!) so I guess I will finish up a bunch of odds and ends I need to get finished. Then find some time to work on the trains!
 
Evening!

Well another depressing day at the park! they did it again, they made me work for money:mad: I told them that the deal was I show up eat my lunch they hand me a check for ungodly amount of cash and I return home!:)

It's Simple thing to under stand:confused:

Then why can't they get it:confused: :mad:

I see guys on the side of the road do the same thing.....They get money?:confused: at least i'm honest about it, "I want money and not have to work for it cause I'm LAZY!:D "

O'well, I guess I'll return to the park tomarrow may be I can convince them of their error!:D :rolleyes: ;)


Ken, Have you thought of doing your daughters braces yourself:) You might be able to fasion some braces from left over rail, wire and super glue laying around your train room! That would save you tons of money.:D
 


Evenin' folks!

I managed to get 7 pints of string beans canned today and still found time to finish the inserts and label for the CD, check out the CD for errors, and put together the demo CD for the customer. I also printed out some materials for a committee I am on in the community for a Mission Fair at my church on Peacemaking Sunday. And..... I installed another Tortoise on the layout. Hope to get another one done tonight.

See you all later.
 
Greetings folks. Sorry to hear about the health problems out there. It makes me want to go get a physical.

I mounted the back drop this afternoon. I am currently waiting for vinyl Spackle to dry, how exciting! I am pleased with the color I picked out. It almost looked white in the garage while drying. Now that it's up, it's almost perfect.

I've also decided to scale back the yard area on my layout. What looks good in xtrkcad doesn't look in person. It would be way too crowded. I may need to rethink the yard area. I had a sneaking suspicion that this was the case. It's why I haven't really commited to a track plan for that area. I think I'll just have to wing it.

It's nice to continue to see progress on the layout. It's really starting to come together. Now all I need to do is start!

I hope everyone has a good evening.
 
Well Chris now that you mention it, I have used a dremel with a flex-shaft to do some of my own dental work...;)

Ken, you can get some dental wire bending/shaping pliers from Micro-Mark. They work great!:rolleyes: :D
Don't forget the miracle..."SUPER GLUE" taa daa!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
09-10-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
 
Good morning.

It's 75 and cloudy. The high today should be around 90 and there's a chance of thunderstorms.

I received a package in the mail yesterday from Euclid, Ohio. I was expecting it so no big surprise there. In it I found two gondola bodies, three hopper bodies and one caboose, all without trucks and couplers. Again this was expected. I have every intention of rebuilding all of these and putting them into service. Yesterday I rebuilt two of the hoppers which evidently had Talgo trucks originally. I installed Bachmann trucks and body mounted Kadee #5 couplers and immediately pressed them into service. The roadnames and numbers will be left as is as an honor to the modeler who gave them to me. The only change I'll make will be to add the logo of the MGRy below the cars numbers.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/10/2008


Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 70°F

So Far Today
High: 73°F
Low: 71°F
Rain: N/A"
Rain Rate: N/A"/h
Gust: 6mph NE

Today High: 92 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 75 Partly cloudy until late night then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. East winds around 5 mph.

Here's one of the rebuilt hoppers.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010089.jpg
 


Good morning folks

It was 64 F as I rolled out of the driveway. Our high will be 74 F under sunny skies.

No modeling last night. I went to Cub Scout Roundtable. Also I spoke with some folks regarding my son’s football team his situation. I am going to be speaking with his coach and requesting that he be transferred to the JV squad. He is barely playing and since the coaching staff seems to only be working with the starters in practice he is standing around doing nothing. He can’t learn anything by standing around and it is obvious they feel he does not know enough he would be better off on JV squad where he can learn.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning folks. Do you want to here my wife's idea for our anniversary? We are going to Duluth MN to see the railroad museum again, and........we are going to go on a fall colors tour on a train! If I can get the time off, we may be able to ride behind a steam engine! I don't know if last year was a one shot deal for them or not. It's a restored Soo Pacific that is on loan to the Duluth Railroad museum. If we can't ride behind that, there is an older diesel to do the job. I think she loves me! I wonder what she is up to?

Have a good day!
 
Ken, I'm actually very afraid!:D I think it's payback for all of the races we've been to. We've gone to Las Vegas, Milwaukee, Michigan, and other places for Nascar races. Don't ask me how she became a Nascar fan. With her being a fan, I therefore, am a part-time race fan! The North Shore is beautiful this time of year as well. I may need to fill my whole memory card for my camera. I think it holds two thousand pictures!
 
Good Morning All ! from the Niagara Frontier ! not much going on . It's a nice late summer's day here with a high temp. around 68 with plenty of sun . Look out Texas but I think Ike is going to collide with you pretty soon. Hope everyone stays out of harm's way . Hoping evryone has a real nice day !!!!! Corey sounds like you will have a grand time !
 
Mornin' everyone!

Another nice "looking forward to Fall" day here in the Finger Lakes. Currently 61°F with a high of 64° later this afternoon. Sun is shining most of the time and it looks like a good day to catch up on some errands i have to do.

Catch you all later!
 
Darn Corey, that sounds great. If my wife came up with something like that, I would also be suspicious and knowing she was going to expect re-pay. It sounds like you and she have a fun time getting out and doing things together.;)

Steve: I am so sorry for all of your worries and wish you the very best. Hopefully, none of it will upset your wonderful plans to resettle in New Zealand.

KenL: I meant to ask if you saw the Mercedes plant outside of T-town when you were returning to Pell City? Also, do your remember my automatically ran passenger trains:D ? I now have them blowing the horn on arrival and departure from stations and have successfully integrated a manual controlled freight while they are making their routes. :cool:

The only report I have on my layout is: ballast, ballast, and more ballast. I need ownership in a quarry :D . No, its not that there is so-much new track, just that I haven't done any ballasting in over a year: just track remove, install, remove again,...:D

Hope all you East Texans are getting prepared. My Daughter and family are not sure of what to do being in the north Houston area (Spring), but will probably ride it out. I hope we at least get some rain on the curl of Ike; its like summer here with an heat index of 98 deg right now.

Oh, I meant to tell you that my Grandson just completed Army boot camp at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. He wasn't in the right frame of mind for college and bravely chose the military to serve his country and to get a better sense of direction in life. We are very proud of his wise decision and accomplishment.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

I spent the day at a friend's mining operation in central Alabama. It's quite a deal he has going. I can't say much about what the mine is producing but let's just say it's a profitable metal and one that has never been mined in Alabama before.

Steve, the maddening thing with Marfan's is that it does skip generations, so you probably have some relative two or three generations back that had it. That's a hope thing for your children since there's a better than even chance they won't have it. If it makes you feel any better, I've been slowly falling apart since I was 40 too and I've made to 62 so there's still hope.

Chris, I dealt with a lot of people that showed up at work and just wanted to get paid. They were called burglars. :) There's always a second career opportunity there. The lawn mower makes a perfect cover story.

Rex, congratulations to your grandson and I hope he stays safe. It takes some guts to go into the Army now. It looks like Houston will be fine except for some tropical storm force winds and some rain. We actually has .25 inches of rain here yesterday from a solitary thunderstorm. Ike may give us some blow-off moisture depending on his exact course but I'm not counting on much right now.

Corey, if my wife ever suggests riding a tourist train for fun, I'll know something is seriously wrong. :eek: OTOH, she doesn't like NASCAR either. Her hobby is shopping for shoes and purses. I have exactly three pairs of shoes. She's working on beating the Imelda Marcos record.

Ray, you must have gotten the same line of thunderstorms that went through Cleveland. My brother said it was the loudest thunder he's ever heard. It looks like an early dose of fall for you guys. Sorry about those CD's. It seems like every CD I ever make has something wrong with it. CD's and me don't get along.

Jeffrey, I saw the pics of the hoppers. They look like nice models.

Ken, just make sure you use the medical grade super glue. :) There really is such a thing and it's about $70 an ounce. I have no idea what makes it any different than the normal stuff we always use.

Ike is now out in the Gulf and has reached cat 2 status again. There's some dry air in front of him but he's now becoming so large that he should suck that in with very little effect on intensity. By this time tomorrow, he should become a cat 3 as he passes over a warm loop current in the Gulf. He'll be passing over some cooler water and come under some wind shear before landfall so I don't think he'll get to more than cat 3, which is bad enough. The central pressure is dropping rapidly and he is expanding in coverage. Almost the entire Texas coast will experience tropical storm force winds, with areas as far inland as Dallas also feeling these wind effects. The cone of error is getting smaller and landfall should take place early Saturday morning. It looks like an area 50 miles on either side of Corpus Christi is the most likely site for landfall. My guess is either a direct hit on Corpus or just slightly east. The storm surge will be between 18 and 22 feet, which will wipe out some of the barrier islands on the coast. I'm hoping everyone within 10 miles of the coast around Corpus up to Galveston is getting out now. Ike is going to do major damage to the power system infrastructure and much of coastal and central Texas is going to a miserable place to be next week. If I lived in Texas and had some vacation time, this would be good period to visit Colorado.

Rain and flooding are also going to be big stories as Ike moves north through Texas and then hangs a right into Oklahoma and Arkansas, still as a tropical depression. Should be interesting after that as some models now want to take the remnants of Ike straight east over Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and then back out into the Atlantic. It's way to early to give any credence to these models but I think Ike will still be a story for the next 10 days.
 


Evening all!

Been a long day.... I took the finished CD (Draft copy) down to the school this morning. The Band teacher in charge of the project and her Middle School Band went nuts! At least they loved the artwork. If the Cd itself has no more tweaks that need to be made, it should be good to go to production. Got home and finished mowing the lawn. Nice cool day to do that. Got an e-mail from my Sister in Law that her brother had been moved out of ICU to a regular room. So far he has responded well to the treatment.... this time. He thinks he will just go back to his ussual life style when he gets home.

Then for the last 2 hours I have been in conference with a very close friend in Scouting who is also who I report to (or turn too when I need help) as a commissioner. We were discussing the problems with my old Boy Scout Troop and their lack of following safety practices at camp outs. He has copies of the letter I sent the leaders and will be taking it to the District executive tomorrow. I feel very bad as I know what the outcome could be for some leaders. I'm hoping that there will be a good conclusion for all involved. I really hate when I have a position of leadership where I have to be the heavy! I have found myself in that position many times and I never get used to it. On the other hand, I have also had to call parents and tell them their son is on his way to the emergency room from camp....... Not much fun. Lucky it was never a really serious accident. Well, I am glad I have some friends in Scouting who will do part of the "dirty work" for me.

Sorry for the rant!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top