Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good Morning ALL !! And a big hearty hello from Western New York ! looks lke we have the vvery western end of Hannah here . A bit of rain falling down. Jim a Scummer is a fine Sahlens Hot Dog on a bun loaded with , relish , onions , meatsauce and Frank's Hot Sauce . A real gastic treat for the stomach . Well have to go take care of my litttle buddy so hope you all have a nice day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve sounds like your weather is pretty bad also . Hope you dry out soon !!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We just got a good soaking while out at the scarecrow festival,
I could eat one of those Sahlens right now Paul ;)
 
Mornin'! It is still morning I guess.

I slept in this morning. Woke up around 10:25. Guess I needed to catch up on some shuteye.

Paul looking at the northeast on Weather.com, I think you are more probably getting what is left over from Gustav drifting to the east. Hanna's Northwestern bands are nearing central New York right now. We are also getting some rain today and will continue with showers today and tonight. The main part of Hanna should pass well to the East of us though.

My thoughts are with all of you waiting for Ike to visit. Hope he cools off a bit more before he makes landfall.

Steve you guys aren't supposed to have that much rain over there. Your better known for fog! :rolleyes: ;) ;)

Have a great day everyone!
 


Good morning folks

It is 79 F on its way to 80 F. We are still waiting for the other shoe to drop. So far, Hanna has missed us. The heavy rain has been to the south and west. We got a little bit last night, just enough to get the pavement wet but not the overnight deluge predicated. Right now, the pavement is dry and it is overcast. We are still under the Flood Watch and Tropical Storm Wind Warning. If Hanna tracks as predicated and the center goes through South Jersey then later this afternoon we will get the heavy rain. They are still calling for 3 to 6 inches. Of course, it looks like the heavy rain will come during my son’s game.

No modeling last night. We were getting ready for Hanna. I had to mow the grass and put away the lawn furniture and anything else that could blow over or away.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Hi gang,

Hanna's outer bands have been passing thru my state since early this morning, the eye is moving across the Bay to the Eastern Shore. So far no real damage to speak of, just lots of rain. My town is just outside the area marked for "possible" power outages - but it seems like we ALWAYS lose power here anyway, even when the winds aren't that high. Just to be on the safe side, I fueled up and test-started my generator last night and rounded up a half-dozen working flashlights. Best way to prevent a power outage is to be fully prepared for one :rolleyes: Frankly I'm more worried about what Ike may do to the Gulf Coast than I am about this storm.

I'm debating whether or not to drive to M B Klein's and pick up some B&O position light signal masts, they're currently on sale. I'll see what Vicky has to say about local roads when she gets home from work.

I do believe I'll indulge in one of Paul's hot dogs...
 
Chris, you managed to do all that without getting attacked by a gator or rattlesnakes? Good job! I think I would have died of sunstroke before I got done.

Ken, it looks like Hanna is going to be a good girl, with just rain and a little wind. She never had a lot of punch to begin with and she's getting torn up pretty good as she moves further north.

Paul, that scummer sounds like something even worse for your health than what we've dreamed up down here. :eek: I'll take two though. :)

Ray, you're right, you're getting the last gasps of Gustav there. Luckily, Gustav and Hanna stay far enough apart that they didn't merge, would could have caused some big problems. It's amazing how much moisture these tropical systems can carry so far north.

Corey, I hate blizzards, snow, or any form of frozen precipitation. The first snow was always pretty and then it was just five months of hard shoveling after that. I really hated it when my hand got frozen to the door handle of my car. Hurricanes are no fun either but at least I don't have to shovel rain. :D

Steve, that rain really should be moving over the continent now so I hope you dry out. That surname profiler does not work right. My late wife's maiden name was Srpan. She was from Slovenia and, even there, it's a very rare name. Every single Srpan I've tracked down is related to her, yet the profiler shows people with that name in India! I can assure there are no Srpan's in India.

Another hot and dry day here in the Southland as we all wait to see what Ike will do. The only thing I know for sure is that the Turks and Caicos Islands are going to get him full force. It's ramped back up to a cat 4 with 130 mph sustained winds and 160 mph gusts. The central pressure fell from 28.38 inches to 28.01 inches in three hours, the sign of a rapidly intensifying storm. It's about three hours away from the east Bahamas and eight hours away form Grand Turk Island, packing a 9 to 12 foot storm surge. I can't see any way that the Turks and Caicos and the southern Bahamas will escape devastating damage from this hit.

Things get much more murky after the next 12 hours. It looks like the Bermuda high will continue to push Ike further south in the short term, which means poor Haiti is going to get yet more killer flooding. The models are split on how close he will get to Cuba and how much time he will spend over land. The more time he spends over Cuba, the better for the Keys. If he just skirts Cuba, he will be at least a strong cat 2 or cat 3 when he should make a northward turn in response to the low pressure trough left behind by Hanna. A slight change in the track north or south has important implications for the Keys.

Now things really start to get hazy. The models are split between wanting to take Ike right over the Keys and then up the west coast of Florida, just offshore, and moving him further west before he makes his northward turn, with minimal effects on the Keys. There's even one model that wants to take it up the west coast of Florida and have it make a hard right into Tampa Bay. :eek: I think that's very unlikely but not impossible.

Once Ike is in the Gulf, we are right back to where we were with Gustav. He could make landfall anywhere from Houston to the Big Bend of Florida. My main concern is that he is a much more powerful and better organized storm than Gustav. He has already gone through two rapid intensification cycles and is likely to do the same again at some point. The forecaster's nightmare is that he approaches landfall as cat 2 and then rapidly intensifies to a cat 4 or cat 5 with only 10 or 12 hours warning. I hope this doesn't happen but the emergency management agencies should assume it will.

We have almost zero ability to predict track or intensity five days out so all I can do is urge everyone in Florida and the Gulf Coast to stock up on supplies in anticipation that a major hurricane is headed your way and evacuate early if that looks like the safest option. Closely monitor the forecasts and be prepared to take action immediately. This is a not a time to panic but it's also not a time to assume that Ike will just be another Gustav.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Managed to do all that, plus Mow the customers lawn, put down 320lb of 16-4-8, trim two trees and chop up the old tree on the bank of the lake! as for Ike we need more rain, I welcome Ike. Where he hits nobody really knows. I really could have used Larrys Kubota! sad thing is on my way to pick up the fertilizer We seen a guy hauling a BX to parts unknown.........he was lucky i was buzzy! or his bx would have turned up missing!LOL's
 


My son's football game was rescheduled to tomorrow. The heavy rain started dropping on us around noon. We showed up for the game at 2:30 PM just as they were announcing it was off. It been raining heavily since. According to the Upper Darby High School weather station we have got 2 inches of rain. Wind has picked up. It blowing at 14 MPH with gusts near 40 mph. There have been reports of a tornado near Allentown. They say it will be out of here in a few more hours.
 
Evenin all!

Had my Granddaughter over for dinner tonight. Of course Mom and Dad tagged along as well......... Both my cats have decided they are afraid of her (she can get a bit rough) so they come out and say hi and then disappear for a while. She had a great time exploring the house. This is the first time she has been here since she started walking a few weeks ago. I had corn on the cob for dinner and she ate half an ear. I was amazed as I have never seen a kid her age be able to do that. It was her favorite after all the grapes in the fruit salad. Olivia is not quite 15 months old.

I spent most of the evening after they left working on the photos of my FILs 95 Birthday Party. He is still a sketch and I think really enjoyed the day. Some of his old airplane buddies were there and he really enjoyed seeing and talking with them as well as several relatives he hasn't seen in a while. just a couple for you folks.

B-DayCake1w.png


BarneyAt9510w.png
 
Chris, I need you to come up here and clean up my yard. I've got some trees that really need to be trimmed and it's just too danged hot for a Yankee to do it right now. We do need the rain, that's for sure. I'll take anything that doesn't knock anyone's house down or kill anyone.

Tom, the game should be fine for tomorrow. The remnants of Hanna are flying out of there at 28 mph and it will be just be a memory by game time.

Ray, cool cake and nice picture of a guy with a lot of years and wisdom under his belt. Olivia must already have quite a set of teeth to finish off half an ear of corn at her age.

Ike is still a cat 4 and is picking up forward speed again. He's now rearranging the real estate in the Turks and Caicos. I hope the folks down there are hunkered down in their hurricane shelters. The 11:00 pm update wants to pull Ike even further west once he get by Cuba and in the Gulf. This would tend to make a hit on the Keys and the west coast of Florida less likely and landfall in west Louisiana or east Texas more likely. As I said before, the forecast track is subject to large errors more than two days out and it's likely to change several more times over the next five days. The thing to watch for is where Ike goes in relation to Cuba. If he spends more time over land in Cuba, the westerly track becomes more likely. If he just skirts Cuba and spends more time over water, a northerly track becomes a better possibility. It will be interesting to see which scenario plays out.
 
Good morning.

It's 70 and mostly clear. The high today will be around 90 and it will be partly cloudy.

Still tracking Ike and still not liking what I'm seeing. Mowed the grass yesterday morning then laid down to rest and woke up six hours later.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/7/2008


Heat Index: 70°F
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 64°F

So Far Today
High: 72°F
Low: 70°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph NNE

Today High: 90 Partly cloudy. Highs around 90. East winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. East winds around 5 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010056.jpg
 
Morning

Nice sunny and hot morning here in Florida! I have no work lined up so I figured I'll run to Tractor Supply Co. and pick up a tire for my FIL trailer he lent me:rolleyes: Spend some time fixing it up some....Next weekend my work schedule is full up:D 6 yards plus mine, should keep me buzzy till 1pm!

Jim, Wish, I was close to ya! Could use the extra work.......I do work for trains too;) LOL's I get a few yard clean up's and pressure washing job's, i generaly schedule them for the winter down here when the mowing slows down! That way the money doesn't stop flowing:D Washing your house once or twice a year keeps the house looking like it's freshly painted! I'm fixing to do my house soon before the holidays!
 
Time for lunch and Chris is buying. (that will teach you about disappearing without a trace:p ).

Chris, I doubt if we will need to pay you a visit, but if Ike decides to turn our direction, we will be arriving soon. Don't worry about beds; we will pull the RV down, spend $300 on gas, and have two (23 and 24 pound) "puppies". We might as well take in the sights while there, so count on us staying about 3 weeks:rolleyes: . Oh, I might need to borrow gas money to get back or our stay may be longer:D :D .

Bama won, but good grief...what a sloppy game. Tulane may be the only team we could have beaten yesterday. The fans were treated to a fly over during the National Anthem. First was a P51 Mustang, followed about 5 seconds later by a pair of F16's. We could see them from the house coming in and making their pass, then into a steep climb and to the clouds. BEAUTIFUL!

I got my new scanner out and tuned to the control tower and ATC freq to hear all the football fans' planes coming in. I waited and waited to see them on approach...guess what...they all landed from the other directions for the two runways (Dang it!). The police freq was non-stopping for fender benders, fights, drunks, a stray cat under a woman's bed, one homicide, you name it...it was going on. Scary what goes on in the DARK!:eek: As Jim has pointed out, none of this was in the paper.

Hope your weekend is going well and that you just may get to play trains:) .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon everyone!

Another fairly nice day here in the Finger Lakes. High of only 70°F so it is comfortable both inside and outside.

We had "Rally Day" at church this morning which is the official start of Sunday School for the year. As a Guide for one of our Communicants Class youth again this year I had to show up for the pre-church festivities and to say hi to the young man I am working with this time. I was his brother's guide 2 years ago and found out that I was specifically asked for by the kid. Nice feeling.........

I spent part of the afternoon playing with the new lens down cellar. The results of the session can be seen in the WPF thread.

Got to run as that band of rain I have been looking at on the radar map is getting close and I have to pick some vegies from the garden.

Later!

Edit: Rain has started falling. First as a fine mist, now small drops. I did pick a full gallon bag worth of string beans, a couple zucchini, and three large Green/red peppers though. I have another bag almost full of string beans from a couple days ago, so I guess I'll get the canner out tomorrow and have a few meals next winter.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Time for lunch and Chris is buying. (that will teach you about disappearing without a trace:p ).

Chris, I doubt if we will need to pay you a visit, but if Ike decides to turn our direction, we will be arriving soon. Don't worry about beds; we will pull the RV down, spend $300 on gas, and have two (23 and 24 pound) "puppies". We might as well take in the sights while there, so count on us staying about 3 weeks:rolleyes: . Oh, I might need to borrow gas money to get back or our stay may be longer:D :D .

.

LOL's O.K. glad you have an RV, We have some great RV parks down here can't throw a rock with out hitting one! My house is only 850sqft. not much room for us to turn around in! But your pups are more than welcome to share Jacob and Jerrys dog run! Our 3yr old 85+ pound puppy from hell would love to play with the bama boys! Sight's we have those, as well as some good salt water and fresh water fishing! As for gas muney you might get stuck down here:rolleyes: !

Best time to come to florida, is from Nov 1st- Feb 31st! the weather is at it's best! Got to love florida winters..........:D

As for lunch/ dinner Eat up guys Jims buying!;) :D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top