Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Chris, if I had to flee south, Rex would be following my RV down. We could get a nice tailgate party going. :) I have the three cats so I think I'd probably have to keep them in the RV unless the dogs wanted a snack. :eek: Not much to pressure wash on my house since it's 95% brick although I did paint the front door and the wood surrounding the entrance because it had faded so badly.


Rex, it's nice Bama got another win but it really was a sloppy game. They are going to have to turn it up a notch to keep a a national rating although they went from 13 to 11 in the Coach's Poll. OTOH, Ohio State really sucked too. I would have really liked to have been there to see that P-51 since that's what my uncle flew in WWII. Having that scanner is fun, especially on game day, when I'll bet it never stops talking. Did you see if any of my railroad frequencies worked for you yet?

Ray, nice to know that some of your past work is being respected. Sounds like a wonderful day in the garden. Even with a little rain. All I would have would be withered tomatoes and shriveled up beans between the heat and lack of rain. :(

All breakfasts are on me...tomorrow. :D

Ike is ashore in eastern Cuba and weakening slightly as he gets more over land. As long as he stays over land, he should drop to a cat 1 by Monday night. Ike really tore up the Turks and Caicos with Grand Turk suffering damage to 85% of the structures and about 50% of them are totally destroyed. No one was killed thanks to the excellent system of hurricane shelters built by the Turks and Caicos government. The maximum gust measured on Grand Turk Island was 122 mph before the anemometer blew away. Ike is one mean guy.

Now we watch what Ike does over Cuba. More time over land should lead to a more westerly course in the Gulf while less time on land should swing him more northward. Jeffrey, I share you concern about how the track is looking. Remembering that landfall is still at least five days out and the models are subject to large errors, the most likely land fall is now a cone between Galveston and Lake Charles, LA. Not only will this strike a densely populated area but it will also target a large number of oil refineries. If you think gas went up after Katrina, get ready for a really wallop if Ike follows this path.

Once again, no one from the west coast of Florida west to the Texas/Mexico border should assume the they won't be hit by Ike. Hurricanes in the Gulf do strange and unpredictable things for reason we don't understand. Just keep watching the official forecasts and I'll give you my totally unofficial guesses when I feel I have something to hang my hat on.
 


09-08-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
 
Morning Guys,

"Flo, I'll have the all you can eat breakfast bar!"

Well Ike is not Hitting Florida! JMO It's going to get Texas or New Orleans as a Cat 3. Our Weather man hasn't missed guessed yet! Jim/Rex you might want to Gas up the RV's and ready them, Looks to be a good day for a road trip! I'll let Marys fishing camp know your comming;) Bring your boats and fishing poles for some fishing! We might have some rain during your visit, but rain don't stop the fish from biteing. well got to gotowork and mow the grass...........See Ya!

Jim, even brick needs to be washed, the fugus and mould on the walls is still there! Trust me hit a small spot on the north wall with a pressure washer and bleach........you'll be suprised on the stuff living on your walls you don't see!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks

It was 70 F on the way in to the office. High today will be 85 F.

This was a busy weekend. We got a little over 2 inches of rain from Hanna. The only damage we had was the winds blew down a bunch of small branches. We were able to get the grocery shopping done since my son’s football game was rescheduled for Sunday. In the game his team lost 12-0. Again it was a poorly played and coached game. Given those facts, the disorganized practices and my son is no longer having any fun I am about ready to pull the plug on the season. There have also been a few incidents during practices that have not been sitting well with me.

No modeling or train running got done this weekend.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning.

It's 74 and mostly cloudy here. The high is expected to be around the upper 80's and there's a chance of thunderstorms.

According to the 5 day forecast Ike will make landfall close to the Texas/Louisiana line west of the Sabine Pass as a cat4 hurricane. (Click link for map)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/at200809_5day.gif

I put together a couple more of my creations yesterday. A Bachmann GP40 shell on an Athearn GP60 frame and a Bachmann GP50 on an Athearn GP50 frame. There wasn't anything 'simple' about either one. Both are quiet runners with premium motors, hex shaft drive and nickel silver wheels. They're both in line for DCC decoders.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/8/2008


Heat Index: 78°F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 69°F

So Far Today
High: 75°F
Low: 73°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 90 Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 90. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 72 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. East winds around 5 mph.

Modified Bachmann GP40 shell on Athearn GP60 frame. It's now my long haul GP40.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010061.jpg
 
Good Morning ! It's a beautiful Morning here in Buffalo .Nice Sunny warm day and the Bills defeated the Seahawks . What more can you ask for. Hope all of you can enjoy a nice day like this also . Also hoping Ike runs out of fuel before he does too much more damage
 
Mornin' everyone!

Currently 69°F here in the Finger Lakes with a predicted high of 74°. Lots of sunshine and winds WSW at 10 to 15 MPH. May have to get the Lawn Mower out and trim the hay field surrounding my house. Luckily I will probably have to mow it one more time this fall. I also should get out the trimmer and do my hedges before snow falls this year.........

Waiting for some final directions on a school CD I did last June. Hopefully they will accept the album and I get the production run done for them. They have been slow getting materials to me and I can't do much until they tell me what their needs are.

Paul the Bills look they have put together a fine young team this year. It would be nice for them to make a strong showing this season.

I will keep all of you living in and near the Gulf in my prayers with the coming of Ike. He looks like he may be a whopper!

Stay safe!
 
Afternoon all

Wifes had another scan today, this was a resting scan for comparison, just got to wait for the consultant to tell her whats what now.

and talking about consultants mine told me i had Marfan's syndrome today, after reviewing my constantly bursting blood vessels, x-rays and bloods, now i have to go for an ECG and then to a specialist clinic in Manchester for more tests on the blood vessels and heart, mainly the Aorta which gets enlarged,,, what a bloody pain in the rear end this year is proving to be, and it is hereditary so we'll have to get kids the tested for the dodgy gene to see if they have it.
 


Dang, Steve, if it's not one thing, it's another. :( Marfan's is not an easy disease to live with but they are making a lot of progress in controlling the symptoms. It's not always hereditary but it's classed as "hereditable" so it's a good idea to have the kids checked since early diagnosis really helps. Well, shoot, I hope your wife's tests come out good at least.

Ray, 69 there now, huh? The low here was 71 and it's 96 now. This is really getting to be a long summer.

Paul and Ray, looks like the Bills have a better team than they've had in many years. The Browns, of course, look like crap again this year. Rats!

Tom, sounds like a decent day in your neck of the woods. Too bad about your son's football team. I really hate it when adults make it so kids can't have fun playing sports.

Chris, I think you misunderstood about breakfast. I'm buying tomorrow. Each day, I'll always be buying for tomorrow...but not today. I hope you bought some extra money for Flo. :) You're probably right about the bricks. They do have a bit of mold and crud on them. I just tell myself it's weathering. :D

Ike came ashore in Cuba last night and is now just off the southern coast of central Cuba. The damage on Great Inauga, one of the southernmost islands in the Bahamas, was almost total, with 95% of the structures destroyed and the entire road and electrical system ruined by the storm surge. Once again, no lives were lost because everyone was in hurricane shelters. The US and British Navies are sending relief ships to help.

It's hard to get much information out of Cuba but Ike is still a cat 2 hurricane and will pass very close to Havana as a strong cat 1 or weak cat 2 tonight. Havana will suffer a lot of damage because the structures are so poorly built and maintained. The Cubans do have an excellent civil defense agency, which should help limit the loss of life.

After Ike gets into the Gulf, the results are still far from certain. The models have made a dramatic shifts in the last few hours. The Keys and Florida now appear to have a very low probability of being affected by Ike. The models now take Ike into Galveston as a cat 3 hurricane. If this model shift proves to be accurate, it would be an unmitigated disaster for Galveston and Houston. This is also a huge problem for Texas EMA authorities since they will have to make evacuation decisions within the the next day or two at most since Ike should be near landfall by Friday night. There are about two million people that will have to be evacuated, a monumental task to perform in just three days. As usual, these models will probably shift again but landfall somewhere between Corpus Christi and the Texas/Louisiana border appears to be increasingly likely. Everyone in these areas should review their plans and be prepared to evacuate no later than early Thursday.

The only thing I know for sure is that some place along the Gulf Coast is going to get a visit from Ike. How strong he will be and exactly where he will hit is still uncertain but those affected should assume he will be a major hurricane with a large storm surge and act accordingly.
 
Evening everyone!

I had another one of those days at work again!:mad: When will they learn I'm only there to do lunch and collect my pay check?:confused: Not to have to work my way to lunch then work after lunch then have to wait till friday to pick up what they call a pay check?:mad: Man, Wish I was rich instead of being so dang good looking!:D

Jim, no beating around the bush. Your going to have to wash the house like the rest of us;) :D Weathering:confused: Don't think it will fly with the wife:)

Steve, I turn my back and you fall apart! Get well buddy:)


Ray, good Lord man! Hay field:eek: scratch the mower and get a goat!:D
 
Ray, good Lord man! Hay field:eek: scratch the mower and get a goat!:D

Actually it wasn't that bad. Growth has finally slowed down for the rest of the season and I should probably only have to mow it one more time before winter. Mowed close to half of it today, then split and stacked the rest of some wood a neighbor gave me so my son and I could pull the splitter around back where it will spend the winter (under a tarp). If it doesn't rain too much tomorrow I will get the rest of it done. About the only other property work I have to do is trim the hedges this fall. That usually ties up a day and a half (with ample railroad room breaks...).

Found out late this afternoon that my Brother in Law is in ICU at a hospital nearby. He has now been diagnosed as having cirrhosis of the liver with about 80% of his liver being scar tissue. Blood can no longer flow through parts of the liver and he had two ruptured veins. Started vomiting blood yesterday evening. His chances for long term survival are probably not the best but every hour without a recurrence is to his favor for now.
 
Ray, what your BIL has does have a really bad prognosis. He's probably vomiting blood due to esophageal varices. This is where veins in his esophagus rupture due to the high venous pressure produced by his failing liver. Most patients with his problems don't live more than a week so I hope you have some time to see him before passes on. :(

Chris, I used to hate the idea of working just to get paid too. Now I get to sit around and watch the stock market take all my money. I'll take a closer look at those bricks. I know that certain molds can have really bad effects on the grout.

Ike is now hugging the south coast of Cuba as a strong cat 1 hurricane. He's about 140 miles southest of Havana and should make a second landfall in Cuba early this morning and pass very near Havana before getting back out into the Gulf. There's nothing adverse in the atmosphere that should prevent him from getting up to a cat 3 or 4 by late Wednesday. All the models continue to shift south and west with the entire Gulf Coast of Texas being within the cone of error for landfall now. We should have a slightly better picture of Ike's likely course by tomorrow. If the models continue this southern track, it will likely be the area from Corpus Christi to Brownsville that will come under more risk. If you live on the Texas Gulf coast, pay close attention the forecasts from the National Hurricane Center since Ike has shown the ability to rapidly intensify and may do so again before landfall.
 
Morning everyone

Flo, sign me up for the breakfast maga bar! and Jims taking care of the tab;)

My wife said I have to go back to work!:mad: I'll try again to just show up and do lunch and go home! Work is way over rated and not very fun:( Now the lunch part and going home part of it is fun and enjoyable:p

Jim, try putting some 50%bleach 50%water in a spray bottle and spray a small area! wait 10 min and hose the area off, you'll see right off the bat if you need to wash it!
 
Good morning crew -

Everything's a blur of activity around here, with all the kids back in school, mandatory back-to-school evenings, soccer, 'helping' with homework [coaxing is a more fitting word] and both of us parents now working nearly full-time. As if the school tuition bills weren't bad enough, now we've been told that my 13yr-old daughter needs brace$ to avoid permanent malformation of her teeth. "Don't spend more than you earn." Yeah...uh-huh! :mad:

Ray, that's a major bummer about your BIL. I've always known cirrhosis (sp?) is nasty stuff, we'll keep him in our thoughts...

Jim - Even though I'm not in the endangered area, I've been following the movement of Ike as much as possible via the Weather Channel. Ever since Katrina, these storms have always filled me with a sense of Apocalyptic dread. At least it appears NOLA will be spared another hit, they need more time to finish those levee repairs.

Steve - sorry to hear about that Marfins diagnosis, it just never seems to end does it :(

Ciao!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning ALL ! Sure looks like a crappy day here ,high of 64 and plenty of rain. Not much else going on around here . Ray my prayers go out to your BIL hope his pain and suffering will some how get better . Steve looks like you and your family are having a bit of a time there. Hope you get well soon also . I have a Hereditary desease also it's called Berger's and I'm the only one of my siblings who has contracted it . Chances of my children getting it are slim but they have to be aware of it .Anyhow hope you feel better soon, well hope all of you have a good day !!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning.

It's 73 and clear but it stay that way. As somebody has said, if you don't like the weather here, wait 15 minutes, it'll change. The high should be around 90 and there's a possibility of thunderstorms.

Yesterday was devoted mostly to working on my Bachmann/Athearn GP40 as I stripped it of it's bogus SF paint job and repainted it in the black and white colors of the Midland Gulf Railway freight scheme. After a light weathering the unit awaits it's new number and will go on the waiting list for a decoder. A photo of it in it's present form is at the bottom of this post.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/9/2008


Heat Index: 79°F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 71°F

So Far Today
High: 76°F
Low: 73°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 90 Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 90. East winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 72 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010079-1.jpg
 


Good morning folks

It was 74 F and looking like a storm was brewing on the way in this morning. High will be 81 F with severe thunderstorms later in the day.

No modeling last night.

Tonight is one of the busy ones. We have football practice if it is not canceled due to the thunderstorms. I have to attend a Cub Scout Roundtable and my daughter has flute lesson. My son’s school has what they call Grade Level Meetings tonight. Of course all this stuff is going on at the same time. Since we have been through the Grade Level meetings before with my daughter and know my son’s teachers we most likely will not attend them. Also I do not like the way these meetings are conducted since there is almost no one on one contact with the teacher unlike the old Open House they used to hold.

I am not looking forward to football practice as I am not sure what my reaction to the coaches will be after Sunday’s debacle. For the time being my son has chosen to play. I have given him the option and he says he wants to see what happens at the next couple of practices. I will still be speaking with the Assistant Director of Football to discuss available options.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top