Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Tom, we used to provide patrol cars to slow down traffic when there was a lot of worker occupancy of traffic lanes. The red and blue lights work a lot better than the amber road crew lights to slow down traffic. You ought to talk to your department about getting the county or state police to give you a hand in situations like you were in.

We have done that but in this case it would have involved the City of Philadelphia Police. The previous mayor in one of his many rash actions disbanded the Highway Patrol so we would have had to have ordinary patrol cars and to be quite honest they are busy enough patrolling and fighting crime. The part of the road we were on is not part of the Interstate system and therefore out of State Police jurisdiction. (Just a note: The new Mayor of Philadelphia is in the process of reforming the Highway Patrol and the Mounted Patrol).

Where we were what we had is what I would wanted. Two two-rear axle dump trucks with flashing panels and crash cushions. When these guys stopped there was no way any was going around them. If someone ran into them the trucks were going to win.
 


Paul, I sure hope your battered old kidney holds up until another top quality on shows up on the list for you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Josh, I don't get that one. I thought ghoti was one of those New York crime families. :)

Tom, those big dumps with the crash barriers are nice to have but we used to sit about a half-mile out from the contruction scene with our lightbars going to slow down traffic so they at least hit the construction truck slower. Too bad the mayor there is such a nitwit.

Jeffrey, I think all of us down here in the southeast have been under a little stress the last couple of days. :( Get some rest.

Speaking of stress, Tropical Storm Ike blew up into a category four hurricane in less than 8 hours, a new record to go from a TS to a Cat 4. I just don't like the way Ike looks or the way the steering currents are setting up. In addition to pounding Haiti again, which has already had its share of misery, Ike may be the one that puts Miami in the bullseye. It's still seven days out but storms like Ike just give me the willies. :eek:
 
09-04-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
 
Good morning.

It's 71 and mostly clear. The high will be in the mid 80's and it will be partly cloudy.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/4/2008


Heat Index: 76°F
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 66°F

So Far Today
High: 75°F
Low: 71°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph W

Today High: 85 Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 80s. West winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. North winds around 5 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010031.jpg
 
Good morning folks

It was 67 F on the way in this morning. The air is so thick and heavy you can almost chew it. High today will be 92 F. If Hanna comes up the coast as predicated my son will be playing his first football game of the season in a tropical storm on Saturday.

No modeling last night. I had to do some last minute Back to School shopping to get items that were not on the lists but are needed now. I also did some Cub Scout stuff as we are getting ready for the beginning of the Scouting Year.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning Jeffrey, Tom, Bill. One of my wife's gas stations was burglarized last night, so I've been up since four! Well, on and off since four. She hasn't slept yet. Sometimes I feel guilty making her continue this job for another year. Oh well, she's a tough girl, and the money is good. We are waiting to get busy at work. This is the time of year that we have to wait for cold weather. Men don't buy suits until it gets cold. Isn't that funny? I'm hoping this year isn't any different. We'll see, people are holding on to the purse strings a little tighter this year.

My layout is moving along nicely. I have all of the backdrop supports mounted. I'm just waiting to cut the hard board to size, mount it, and finish it. I also got six of the seven sections bolted together. It looks much better now that everything is level and there are no gaps.

My wife has been making fun of me again lately. She has been watching how much time and money I have been putting into this. I have been working harder on this job than my real one. She wants to know why there are no trains running yet! I told her that this isn't exactly a circle of track on the living room carpet. She noted that if it were, at least we could watch some trains go! She just doesn't understand!

I hope everyone has a good day. Thursdays are my hell days at work. Let's hope every thing goes well.
 
Jeffery- I don't know how you could NOT be stressed with the weather past, present and on the radar. Try to relax as best as you can.

Jim- I don't know which is worse, listening to the weather crystal ball gazers or listening to the political speeches. However, Vice Presidential hopefull Sarah Palin made a pretty speech for her party last night.

The first politician to promise me a model train layout for every home will certainly get my attention! LOL
Well, back to work and let's see if we can help get some lights and air conditioning back for people in Louisiana!
Mikey
 


Good Morning to all from a cool Coarsegold, Ca.
It was a cool 60* here so the weather is definitely starting to cool down, thank God. I sure don't like the Hot weather except for swimming etc.

Hope everything is going along well for everyone.

Work on the C&S West Shortline seems to have ground to a hault but will hopefully pick up soon.

A good day to everyone.
 
I still don't get it either. Our instructor explained it, but it just confused me more. Weird though.

Isn't it an old card game? You know, Go Ghoti? Supposedly George Bernard Shaw made it up as an example of the complexity of the English Language. There was a push a few decades ago to simplify the spelling of English to make it easier to learn. Huked on fonix wurkt 4 me!

Mornin' everyone!

A gray, cloudy day here in the Finger Lakes with a chance of a couple showers and possible thunder boomer later. My son in Chicago is getting dumped on today though they may get 2 to 4 inches of rain in the next 24 hours as the remains of Gustav have arrived.

Paul my prayers are with you sir hoping your kidney lasts until a new one can be found.

Tom good luck with the Pack! They are lucky to have you.

Jeffrey glad to see you up early this morning. Hope you are feeling better.

Jim check your e-mail.

Mornin' Bill!
 
Josh Thats just weird, it speaks like a southern softie (English southern softie that is) not the baba boys,,,, i'm off before i git lynched
 
Afternoon All ! just another nice day here after a bit of early morning rain . Our local forecaster are saying that Gustav and Hanna are going to miss us all together . I guess sometimes it's good to live in Western New York . Sure hope all you guys along the East Coast don't get to much damage. Jeffrey sure glad that your feeling better . Stress can be trying . We have a Peach Festival at one of our local towns this weekend . Apologies to you Georgia folk but our Peach Shortcakes are pretty dam good. well have to get some things done so Hope I hope you all have a nice rest of the day !!!!!!
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Corey, next time she starts making fun of your layout building, start making fun of one of her purses, No, scratch that idea, but you get what I mean. :)

Mikey, don't want to violate the political rules here but she gave a great speech and she wasn't too hard on the eyes either. :D Actually, it seems like utility restoration is going better than expected in Louisiana. I understand they have 11,000 utility workers from all over the south and midwest down there. What a difference for 2005!

David, sounds like wonderful weather up in the foothills. I just hope those offshore winds don't start kicking up for you. This was always the time California worried about the wind more than those of down here in the hurricane belt.

Ray, got your e-mail, thanks, I'll have a reply off directly.

Paul, you should be far enough north and west to escape most of the rain. Downstate is going to get a good lawn watering though.

Hanna is still plugging along and the media keeps trying to hype her into some big deal. I still don't think she'll make hurricane status and the big problems will come inland when she gangs up with the remnants of Gustav and causes some pretty good flooding.

Ike is still a category 4 although weakening some and will probably be downgraded to a cat 3 because he's coming under some northerly wind shear and a little cooler water. He should be out of the shear environment in the next two days and over warmer water. I'm not convinced he'll get back up to cat 4 but it's not out of the question. I do think he will maintain cat 3 status all the way to the Bahamas and may weaken a bit there because of the cold water upwelling from Hanna. I still think he presents a direct threat to south Florida so I hope everyone there has their hurricane plans in order. It should get in the area about next Wednesday.

Just partly cloudy and hot here, with the remnants of Gustav pulling to the north and pretty much missing us altogether. With Hanna moving north also, we'll be trapped in dry, subsiding air again. It will be just like Vegas without the casinos and strippers. :eek:
 
Hanna is still plugging along and the media keeps trying to hype her into some big deal. I still don't think she'll make hurricane status and the big problems will come inland when she gangs up with the remnants of Gustav and causes some pretty good flooding.
Hanna isn't the one you should be worrying about. Keep an eye on Ike! That sob is a cat three at this time. Check out this 5 day forecast:

ike5dayforecast.gif
 
Hey Chris you wanted to see a tractor picture check out the New Toys of Summer thread in the ANPL Coffee Shop.
 
Last edited:
Isn't it an old card game? You know, Go Ghoti? Supposedly George Bernard Shaw made it up as an example of the complexity of the English Language. There was a push a few decades ago to simplify the spelling of English to make it easier to learn. Huked on fonix wurkt 4 me!
So THATS where go fish came from?
 


I still think he presents a direct threat to south Florida so I hope everyone there has their hurricane plans in order. It should get in the area about next Wednesday.

Jeffrey, I think I said the Hanna is being overblown by the media and Ike is a real threat to South Florida. The 2:00 am update has him headed right toward Miami as a 120 mph cat 3.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top