Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Rex, the market is in a full-tilt panic right now so getting out sooner rather than later will pay dividends in the long run. Insurance companies like New York Life and Met Life are still in good shape...today. How far and and how deep this credit crisis spreads is still unknown but we haven't reached anywhere near a bottom yet. As you know, I'm not usually much of a gloom and doom guy but I'm getting increasingly nervous that we are headed for a really bad crash, especially with the government continuing to meddle in the market.

Ray, I'd be looking for a new doctor. She could have done a simple skin scraping that showed you had a fungus. Fungus infections thrive on steroids, not to mention the damage the steroids do to your body. I'm glad you got a correct diagnosis but there's really no excuse for her missing such a simple test.

Chris, sinus polyps are actually quite common. She must have one that's located far enough up in her paranasal sinus that it's causing her breathing problems. The surgery is simple and, with proper care, the sinus polyp won't reoccur. Although I obviously can't tell you for sure this isn't cancer, the occurrence is about 1 in every 110,000 cases so the chances are very small. I can understand your being scared with what happened to your father but be optimistic and I think she'll come out just fine.

Alco, looked like a mighty cold day in that yard. I didn't realize that the M-1000's were still in service in 1942 but I just looked them up and they weren't scrapped until 1953. Must have been the longest lived of the early streamliners.

Larry, I had a walnut tree and it never gave me anything but rotten nuts and the branches were constantly breaking off. It finally went over in a Santa Ana windstorm and I was glad to see it getting hauled away.

A very pleasant day here in the Heart of Dixie. We had a low of 64 and a high of 89. It would be just like paradise if it was like this everyday. :) The tropics are still nice and calm, unlike the stock market. :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
09-18-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
 
Good morning.

It's 64 and partly cloudy here in the Sportsman's Paradise. The high today should be around 80 and it will be partly cloudy.

Most of yesterday was taken up with mowing the grass and moving the pieces of the cut-up willow tree. I counted the rings in the trunk and found that it had been there since 1941, about what I figured. As my parents nor myself need the wood we're dumping the pieces in the nearby marsh to rot. The ants have already found them to be of interest.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/18/2008


Wind Chill: 64°F
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 58°F

So Far Today
High: 66°F
Low: 64°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph NNE

Today High: 82 Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010152.jpg
 


Good morning gents!

Boy, the DM&E are really moving some trains around here. The other day I saw one with six locomotives on the front. It was quite the sight to see out my front door.

I sure hope my mutual fund managers are smart about buying right now. Being thirty years old, I could use a little aggressive buying. It almost makes me want to invest more. I have to admit, most of my savings are going into a money market that pays two percent. Knowing that I need to pay cash for my next car, I need to have the money when I need it. My wife's step grand parents have lost two hundred thousand dollars this year. I'm shocked that their agent has their money in anything that risky when they are in their eighties. To be honest with you, I'm disgusted, but it's not my place to interfere. I think he's made them a lot of money over the years.

Thank you to everyone with their responses about soldering. I haven't soldered since I was in middle school, so all comments are welcome. A big thank you to Ray for your paper.

I have a wedding party from hell today, so it won't be a great day. Don't let people fool you when they talk about bridezillas. It's the parents and grand parents that are the biggest pain in the rear! The brides are usually the most laid back of the group.

Have a great day!
 
Good morning folks

The temperature was a crisp 59 F as I headed out to the traffic jams this morning. High today will be 79 F with sun.

I had a busy day yesterday. For work I had to drive 40 miles to take a look at a bridge under construction and determine if the new parapet was causing a problem. We had our Cub Scout Welcome Back Night and Bingo. It was a fun night. We had almost three quarters of our “old” scouts re-up and we had a couple of new scouts. Our Bingo went over great and the boys loved the prizes. Next week will be our big recruitment night with hopefully a good number of new scouts joining.

Tonight will be my son’s first JV practice. We will see how this goes.

No modeling last night. My son and one his friends ran some trains. His friend brought over his new Bachmann Union Pacific SD-40-2 and they were running that.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Morning ALL ! From beautiful and sunny Buffalo ,it's 60 going up to 63 but a Nice day all and all . Eye doctor exam went well . Ray looks like your in for a but of discomfort though . Not much else going on so I'll keep it short and sweet .You all have a nice day !!
 
Ray, I'd be looking for a new doctor. She could have done a simple skin scraping that showed you had a fungus. Fungus infections thrive on steroids, not to mention the damage the steroids do to your body. I'm glad you got a correct diagnosis but there's really no excuse for her missing such a simple test.

That's the first thing she did..... The other dermatitis I have had for years is psoriasis as diagnosed by a skin scraping. Her treatment has gotten that vastly improved. I have been using a combination of Vanos (the steroidal/cortizone cream), Dovonex (vitamin cream), plain old Coal Tar in Aquafor, and Cetaphil cream used all over to lower chance of lesions developing. She also changed the creams to a different regimen for the psoriasis yesterday as I have been on the old stuff for a couple years now. The skin scraping she did yesterday will take take 2 weeks to be cultured for the specific fungus so she can make sure I am on the right treatment. It looks better already this morning. I must not have been clear in my post.......:o

My doctor is considered to be one of the best in Western NYS. She is a Diplomat of the American Board of Dermatology and a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and Society for Pediatric Dermatology. She has an appointment to the faculty of the University of Rochester as a Clinical Instructor in Dermatology and Pediatrics.

She had not before seen the area that I was treating wrong before yesterday and immediately said I had been making it worse. She also reminded me that I should have gotten in to see her earlier and not waited for my regular appointment...... The problem was me! Look for another doctor? No, I don't think so. She has been right on in her diagnosing and treatment of my skin problems. Besides, she is very cute! ;) ;) :D

Mornin' everyone!

Another nice crisp Pre-Fall day here in the Finger Lakes. Currently 61°F with a high of 63°F. Beautiful sunny day but we have a frost advisory for tonight. I doubt that we will get hit here in Geneva, but I will cover the pepper plants and Zucchini late this afternoon just to be safe.

Spent part of the day and evening doing some more scenery work on the hillside near the still. The area is starting to look good, I think.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chris I'm the sinus surgery king, had it twice in the last three years for polyps and so on, the little buggers are growing back again so another bout is on the cards, after the first surgery i was back in for the same treatment within ten months with polyps just as bad !!!

i hope your wifes problems are just like mine and nothing worse, it's not to bad the second time round

Rex It's scaring the crap out of me as well, house sales have almost totally stopped this side of the pond so were up the creek bout a paddle for now
Breaking news the UK financial services authority just banned short selling which is good news, this almost drove one of our biggest banks into liquidation yesterday
short sellers can borrow a security and sell it, expecting that it will decrease in value so that they can buy it back at a lower price and keep the difference. The short seller owes their broker, who usually in turn has borrowed the shares from some other investor who is holding his shares long; the broker itself seldom actually purchases the shares to lend to the short seller.[1] The lender of the shares does not lose the right to sell the shares.
 
Afternoon, everybody.

Corey, sounds like what I wen through a few years agao whan I got married. It will soon be over and the pain will slowly fade. :) Having money in a money market fund when you know you'll need it soon makes sense. all your other money should be invested in agressive funds that emphasize capital growth and dividends. You'll get killed in a market like this but you have plenty of time to recover and you'll still make more money over the next 20 or 30 years begin agressive now. As for your step-grandparents, $200,000 may sound like a lot but, if the broker imanaging something like $2 million, he's actually beating the market. Of the 500 stocks in the S&P 500, only 2 were up yesterday so almost everyone is losing money.

Steve, They have to be careful about controlling short selling. While there has been too much "naked" shorting, where the short seller had no interest in the stock at all, short selling keeps the market moving during times like this. If you can't make money long, you have to go short. Without short selling, the market will grind to a halt in times like this.

Ray, so the truth comes out! :D Anyone with a serious skin condition like yours should always show any change to your doctor and not attempt to self-treat. I take back what I said about your doctor, especially if she's cute. :)

Paul, glad you eye exam went OK and that you are having such nice fall weather up there. Its up to 85 here, which is the first time we've seen it about 80 since Monday. It's been a nice break for us.

Want to know the luckiest homeowner in Gilchrist, Texas? Here's a picture:

ike11.jpg


I'd go out and buy a couple of lottery tickets if I was him.
 


Want to know the luckiest homeowner in Gilchrist, Texas? Here's a picture:
I want to know the name of his carpenter.:D

Forgive my layman explanation:
Well, I meet with my financial advisor and he assured me that I would be all right, regardless of which way AIG went. First: the $billions of funds of AIGA, subsidiary of AIG, is protected from the rest of the corporation for paying debts or anything else. This the law of the National Insurance Commission and also the state's commission. Second: in the unlikely event that AIG had a total collapse, the polices of life, casualty, and fixed annuities would be traded off to other insurance companies such as Medlife, NewYork, etc. and remain the same. Third: If all else fails, the state's insurance commission totally covers all these polices up to $300,000. Some states up to $1 million.

Interestingly, the problems began from the loan insurance that AIG provided for companies in the building industry and then the Chap. 11 of Lehman (sp?) of which they also insured their debt (plus $30 billion?), threw them over the edge. Basically, they insured too much of everything worldwide; things that no one else would touch. Fortunately this is all from an entirely different part of the corporation and shouldn't affect me anytime soon. Analysis are all confident that AIG will recover from this, if handled properly. (what ever that means. Ha-ha!)

Regardless of all this, I will soon make a withdrawal up to the amount not penalized and put it into something else. Some bonds are really paying well.
 
Ray, just think, you'll have no neighbors to bother you for, oh, about the next 30 years. :)

Rex, your financial adviser is basically right for the situation as it existed a week ago. Everything he said is predicated on these other agencies remaining solvent. Since AIG is now in government conservatorship, all the normal rules don't apply. For example, Fannie Mae was also put in a government conservatorship. Under normal bankruptcy rules, a company cannot issue new preferred stock until they redeem any outstanding preferred stock at par value. The government decided to issue new preferred stock at a 10% dividend to raise cash and stopped paying dividends on existing preferred stock, thereby wiping out the value of my preferred stock. The rules are changing fast and I think getting your money out up to the penalty amount and investing it in a stronger company is a wise move.

Ken, I saw the same story and I think this is one of those homes. You can tell the type of construction by the anchoring to the slab, which also stayed fairly intact. Unfortunately, the house is still a constructive total loss because the foundation is completely undermined. You can't just pick up a house and put new ground under it. The house performed as it was supposed to, however, in that anyone in the house would not have died, as I'm sure countless others did when their homes simply disappeared into Galveston Bay and the swamps behind the peninsula. I expect the death toll to rise sharply once the bodies begin to start floating in. :(

Jeffrey, it's an official Coast Guard photo. Assuming no one at the USCG is playing around with PhotoShop, I'm pretty sure this is legitimate. The damage is consistent with a concrete and steel structure that was primarily the target of storm surge rather than wind. The vast majority of damage in the photo was caused by water, not wind.
 
Good morning.

It's 71 and clear. The high today is expected to be around 80 and it will be mostly cloudy. There's a small chance of isolated showers.

We still have part of the willow to clear out today. It's gonna be a little harder cutting up the lower part of the trunk as it's better than 24" across and the saw is only 20". Moving the pieces will be like Johnny Cash building his 'Hillbilly Cadillac", one piece at a time.

I have the old Atlas GP40 pulling a 16 car train around the layout. That seems to be it's limit.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446 9/19/2008

Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 63°F

So Far Today
High: 71°F
Low: 71°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 8mph NNE

Today High: 85 Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Isolated showers. Highs in the mid 80s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Lows in the mid 60s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010147.jpg
 
Jim if they could regulate very strictly short selling that would be fine but who's going to do that

Regardless of who's doing better than who today,,, it could all change very quickly overnight, just to give you an idea how steep or how vertical the slippery slope is ,,,,, Enjoy the ride folks, it's a once in a lifetime event
longtermchartof90daytreasurybillfin.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks

It was a cool 56 F as I rolled out onto the roadway this bright morning. Our high today will be 71 F.

Yesterday was a long day. My daughter had her last volleyball try-out. She will find out today if she made the team. My son had his first football practice with the JV squad. He seemed much happier during practice and afterwards. I noticed that during practice he was not standing around for long periods of time. Also when he wasn’t doing drills he was talking with his team mates. Overall this group is acting more like a team than the varsity which acts like a group of individuals. I also found that at least two other parents are insisting that their sons get moved off of varsity.

My wife had an outreach last night at the Kent County Library which is south of Dover, DE. For her it is usually a two hour drive one way, last night it took her over three hours to get there due an accident and construction on I-95. Coming home she had no problems.

I had to take off from work early to set-up a new checking account for our Cub Scout pack. Our current soon to be old account is fouled up. Poor record keeping on the part of previous Treasurers including the most recent have made it almost impossible to keep it accurate. The bank the account is at is one of the most inconvenient and rude banks I have ever dealt with. The one branch near our home has lousy hours and is only open late (until 6 PM) on Fridays. Trying to make deposits is a paperwork nightmare. However, since the bank lost the signature cards to the checks anyone can sign the checks and they will honor them. The most recent Treasurer gave me the checkbook in June and then disappeared for the summer. After months of trying to get a hold of him he finally contacted me the other night and wants to get together and turn everything over to me since his son is quitting. I have been working all summer with the District Executive regarding the problem. She recommended that I open a new account and we eventually close the old one. Since we collected registration fees Wednesday night and I did not want to carry around $500.00 for too long I decided to handle the issue yesterday.

This weekend is one of the busy ones. We have the biweekly restocking of the cupboards to do. My son has a fundraiser that helps pay for his school environmental camping trip. It is a car wash in the morning. After he is done his shift we will head to the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum’s Cradle of Birding Festival. It is a fun free event with a lot exhibits and interactive things. We are going to participate with our Cub Scout pack in the Birding for Kids Workshop. After that we plan on taking in some of the other Riverfront Ramble events that are taking place along the Delaware River in Delaware County. The Birding Festival is one part of the ramble. Sunday my son has a football game.

I am not sure any modeling or even looking at trains will get done this weekend.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Mornin' everyone!

It is a cool 59°F outside right now in Geneva. The high will be a sweltering 67°F. Not even Fall yet........ May have to open a window to cool down the house sometime this afternoon. :rolleyes: On the other hand I don't think we got any frost last night. There was a widespread alert for possible frost through out the region.

Went to Rochester to the NRHS meeting last night. Had an interesting program on RR collectibles and a large display of RR Lanterns, their uses, etc.

Tom before long you have all those irritating inherited things from the former leaders taken care of and you can get on with the purpose of Scouting for your Cubs. They are very lucky to have you as their Cubmaster! I had a short meeting with our DE a few days ago. He is aware of the problem with the Troop I was Commissioner for and will be receiving a copy of my letter to the unit through an "independent" source next week. He has promised to have my name kept out of the process as much as possible (at least as the source of the information). He understands my ties to the troop and my concerns for its future. I am afraid the ax will drop before long on some leaders..........

Hope all of you have a great day!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top