New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


lehrr

Member
Building a new 11' X 7' around the wall layout.

Try to keep this short, at first I was at a complete loss for a track plan. I currently have a 36" X 80" HCD with a track plan I came up with that I really love, it's two separate mains, one of which is a twice around figure eight with a fold, that can be set up via turnouts as two separate mains, or one long continuous three-times around run. One small yard which I haven't even used yet (had the layout for over 2 years now). I am 39 years old, model railroading since before I can remember, and as much grief as "round and round" gets in the community as being eventually boring, I have never grown tired of just spending an hour watching the trains run around and around. It is my stress therapy. Like listening to the ocean. I do not need complicated yard work to keep me entertained.

Last night I was woken up for work at an ungodly hour, and while on the line / VPN with them, a bit of inspiration struck. I came up with the plan I am attaching now (it's Anyrail and it's well over the 50 piece limit for the free version, so I'm also including a screenshot as well). It is basically a modified version of my existing HCD layout, stretched to 7' (84"), and keeps the grades all at or below 2% (currently I'm at 3%). It allows the two mains to peel off out of the main busy area into the new stretched out and more scenic addition.

Looking for thoughts and ideas, as well as criticism, good or bad. I know it's a busy layout. I like that, and I have what is basically a working prototype of it in operation now. So I am pretty confident I can make the new plan work, as busy as it looks.

Going all Peco Code 55 this time, including all Peco turnouts, crossovers, and even a slip! :) My current layout is all Atlas Code 80 flex and Atlas code 80 crossover with Peco Code 80 turnouts.

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out. Here's what I have now.

Video of current HCD running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVLKCk7GZ8Y

Mediafire Folder with Anyrail plans and a screenshot showing the layout of the room (there's a permanent workbench in there): https://www.mediafire.com/folder/e38c7ozeemzw1/AnyRail

Train_Room.jpg
 
Oh, another important note. The lines in the layout (separating the old HCD section from the part with the river, and the part with the river from the end loop) I intend to keep modular. I have an idea for a removable river, or road, on top of those areas, or an otherwise removable section of scenery, in case I ever have to move this out of here. I want it to be able to be moved with minimal damage to the scenery and track work. I am not intending to travel with it, but in the event I have to move it out of this room, I do not want it to be a loss. :)
 
Thanks for linking to your video, it does a great job of showing your layout as it stands!!

Considering you really like the existing layout, I think it is smart to maintain the basic elements along with the expansion.
 


The only problem I can see is access to the turnouts to the left side of the layout against the wall. If you have a derailment, it's going to be a booger to reach. Turnouts are the most likely place derailment can happen.
 
It's only 36" total width at it's widest point, and another thing worth mentioning is the table height will be around 36" high, I operate from a chair and this also lets my young (3 year old) son watch and control the trains as well. I can easily reach across it to grab a derailment, but thank you for pointing it out in case it could have been an issue. :) I plan to use simple "golden rod" linkages to the further away turnouts (anything that ends up on the far side of the layout), using either toggle switches or ball-point pen clickers to control them. The easy to reach turnouts will remain manual, with either a ground throw, or the good old "hand of the creator" approach :) :)
 
And I have no experience with the code 55 Peco turnouts, but having had my share of ez-track, atlas, life like, etc, turnouts, these Peco Code 80's on my current layout have been 100% flawless. Never required even the slightest bit of adjustment. I can literally run the trains all day long (and accidentally have.... lol, step away for a moment and never make it back....) and they never derail, even over that somewhat complicated section up front on the existing layout. I hope to see the same performance from the code 55 Pecos as well.
 
Logandsawman, if you're bored there are a lot of different videos of that layout up there, mostly just different trains on it. :)
 
I can see a problem in the future when you attempt to blend the terrain between the rails because there so close, I have witnessed this issue first hand. I'm referring to the rails where one is higher than the other. I think this is a common problem with parellel track. Must have been a real bugger making those risers to work smoothly.
 


The risers were not too bad, I marked and cut the incline in 2" foam on a table saw, then notched them every 2" on either side, again with the table saw. This time, I am either going to cookie-cut my luan and raise the track bed that way, or spring for the Woodland Scenics pre-cut 2% grades.... :)

Yeah, that is one drawback of the parallel tracks at different elevations. Plan is to use retaining walls and tunnels where necessary. If it's hidden in a tunnel, who cares how bad it looks, right? :)
 
Lunchtime update, might be getting a bit carried away, at this rate I may need a small second mortgage to afford the track.... :)

Train_Room_2.jpg
 
I would highly recommend the 2% grade risers from WS , I've used them in the past and make life so much easier.
 
You may as well draw a plan to fill the entire room, and complete it in stages. It is looking like you are going in that direction as it is!!!

I would suggest the passenger station along one of your mainlines. Some type of industry would do fine in a spur location.
 
Moved the passenger station to the main line. Shifted around the crossover and turnouts in the right side of the 84" X 36" section a bit to help with space up there. Also leveled out that entire add-on (right hand loop) section so the station would be on level ground, before it was a gentle climb to the right side of the room then a decline back to the main area.

Really appreciate the feedback so far, keep it coming.

Train_Room_3.PNG
 
Still planning. I finally sprung the $60 for the full version of anyrail. I can't leave my PC!!!!! I swear if I could run trains on this thing, I might never build another actual layout... lol I've been "cheating" for years with the 50 track limit, building sections at a time. Let me tell you, it's worth all 6000 pennies people. Seriously, buy it. Right now.

Anyway, trying to come to grips with the $750 total right now on Peco track.... I don't want to build it piecemeal, because I know if I do that, it will never get done. I want a solid plan I am happy with and the materials to execute it. Right now I'm looking at a $1000 hit for roadbed, track, and the benchwork. In the grand scheme of layouts in the world, it's peanuts. To me, it's a ridiculous amount of $$ to spend on choo choos. Thankfully, I have a wife who understands, and a wonderful son who might actually love these dumb trains more than I do... :) which helps the justification routines in my brain complete with a successful state.

Let me share with you all my first posts on this forum, years ago, if I can find them. Stand by.... :)
 


Anyway, trying to come to grips with the $750 total right now on Peco track....

Wow, how much track do you have and I am assuming you are using Peco Code 55 Flex? I just bought a box of Peco Code 80 for around $123. I know the Code is a little more expensive but I think even that was only going to be $160 for a box of 25 3' lengths. The turnouts, also Peco Insulfrog, only cost me $16 per turnout.

Either you have a lot more track than what there appears to be or your paying way too much for your track.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top