New layout dreaming.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Installed the base board around the room this weekend. All the bench work along the walls is complete. I need to construct the storage shelves below the layout next.

Steve
 


Benchwork and storage along walls is complete. I am going to build the layout in two phases. Phase one being the lower staging and along the walls. and back to the main yard. I am going to try and start cutting some splines for the roadbed tonight. I will document things as I go along in a different thread.
Anyone in the Chicago area wants to stop by just send me a PM
Steve
 
SPLINES-1.jpg
Here are the first splines that I cut. They are only 4 feet long. I was given a large stack of 2X4 foot pieces. I am going to cut the rest tonight I hope. They cut really easy on the table saw. I am going to stack four pieces together so I can cut four strips at once thru the saw. They create a lot of dust so I cut them outside on the table saw. Cold here in Chicago. They bend really nicely with no fear of breaking.
My mains are 145' X 2 = 290'. 290' X 6pieces = 1740' I need 1740' of strips. so I will need 435 4' long pieces to just do the mains (no sidings). It will be worth it.
Steve
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top