New layout dreaming.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I think the yard layout is better. If you use curved switches for the crossover and yard lead, the tracks will be longer. Before I'd start to build, I'd also look into clearances and grades on the 'narrow' section along the wall. I didn't do that before I made the suggestion. I'd also ask myself, 'do I have the skills to build this,' before I start. Looks good to me.
 
Thanks otiscnj
I still need to look at the areas at each end of the yard. Wrapping it around more makes sense. There are no grades along the top wall. The track has a steady rise along the peninsula. about 0.5% grade.
The steepest grade is at the end of the yard where the tracks loop and go under the yard. The grade there is 2.1% I may be able to bring the tracks behind the yard to reduce this grade (not sure i need to though).

I have built a few layouts before so I can handle the build. I will keep the town areas simple at first and add sidings as I go along.

I was also considering building it as a single main line with sidings and adding the second main down the road.

Steve
 


I agree the track work does look to be pretty straight. I will look into adding more wiggles and curves.
Also I read somewhere that if you have the train disappear from time to time and don't show the whole train at once it appears to be longer.
Thanks for the replies.
Steve
 
Steve,

I think I agree with all the points here. The curvy portion that I had along the 'back' wall, was supposed to be similar to Webber Canyon in Utah, which I-80 parallels. The 'blob' in the center of the room, I had more of Sherman Hill in mind, which I've also been over on I-80, which follows the older routes of the UP in that area.

The way you currently come into your yard, along a curve, it reminds me of Green River, WY, where at one time, traffic was split for different portions of the West Coast. You might want to look at these areas on various satellite images that are available on line. I think 'Trains' magazine also just have a feature on Sherman Hill routes, or did in the last year or two, which you might use as a reference.

I think single track is appropriate if you're going to build a 'climb the hill' type of layout. Has the room got any sort of closet, that might also give you some additional space? I think you'll get something you'll like soon-then its off to the races!

Carl
 
I prefer "A". I like how the layout plan leads you into the room like an exhibit. More "true" in that your eye would be focused on the scenes around you.
 
layout-10-5.jpg


Latest version. Hope to get started on the room soon.
Steve
 
Just one comment for the moment. If you make the yard tracks single ended, instead of double ended, they'll be longer. If I had another comment to make, it might be to include the use of curved switches on the hidden yard, as you will get slightly longer trains in the holding tracks. A third comment, if I may, might be to bring thelead to the bottom industrial area, near the door, off the end othe passing sidding above the tunnel. I might have one or two other ideas regarding more hidden stagging, but this definintely has the UP feel to it.
 
Steve,

I was checking out your ambitious plans and wonder if you are making any progress? I might use some of your ideas here.

lasm
 
I am making progress. The rest of the basement has been finished (family room, bathroom, art stuido, and entry). The walls for the train room are framed up and the lights and electric are in. I am just starting to install the drywall. I will try to get a pic tonight.
Steve
 


I am making progress. The rest of the basement has been finished (family room, bathroom, art stuido, and entry). The walls for the train room are framed up and the lights and electric are in. I am just starting to install the drywall. I will try to get a pic tonight.
Steve

Keep the faith... It's coming. Slowest part of my prior layout was finishing the space - but well worth it vs. having a layout surrounded by unfinished concrete... I'm lucky in that our new place has an already-finished basement, so I can pretty much start benchwork the day we move in.
 
Just an update.
Last Night I was able to put up the last piece of drywall. I had some plumbing issues that did not work out as I had hoped. Now I need to mud and tape the joints and finish the electric. Slow progress but I keep going.
Steve
 
Finished or unfinished, you guys are fortunate to have a dedicated place for your layouts. Choops, your basement is coming along well - your going to end up with a great "train room".
 
Plastering is complete. Starting primer and paint. Then bench work. I think I am going to try spline roadbed for this layout.

Steve
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top