It's been a while since I last posted an update, so wanted to do that tonight. Basically, I'm still in wiring mode and will be for a little while longer. About half of the "fixtures" in the layout are wired to the barrier strips, but are not connected. I'll finish running all of the wires before doing that. I'll also need to solder all of the fixtures as well.

Here's a little gem I picked up cheap on eBay. It's a 12v 10a transformer that'll power our layout nicely. I've tested it to be working and have adjusted the voltage to right at 12v. It was only $15 shipped, much less than a lot of the other options I had seen out there.

This is a broad view of our layout during the wiring process. I was concerned about access due to the pool table under the layout and I was right: it has presented some challenges. What I've done is to prop up the train table with a 1x4" which is just enough room to reach under and pull wires. It also allows for enough clearance that I'm not going to drill into the pool table itself as I'm making the holes.

As I pull wires, I'm taping them off as we go. That prevents the wiring from being pulled down through the hole. Once all of the wires are run, I'll begin soldering all of the fixtures and connecting them on the barrier strips.

Here's a view of the underside of our layout. You can see the barrier strips are already wired from the master power block. You can also see the wires that have already been run. I'm labeling them as either a street light or building light so I know which barrier strip they belong to when we get to the connecting phase.
Incidentially, I'm using phone wire to run to the fixtures and 14ga speaker wire to run between barrier strips. It's what I had on hand and seems to be doing a nice job. Guess we'll see exactly how good once things are wired and the switch is turned on.