My first wood Kit Structure, Water Tower

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


PeterA

Member
Here are some pics of my water tower I just finished. I stained the wood by first applying a tea stain to increase the amount of tannin in the wood and let dry. prior to this I had made up a wood aging stain by cutting up steel wool and let it ferment in vinegar for a week. This i brushed this on after the tea stain had dried on the wood pieces before assembly.
The roof is corrugated and was shinny, so first applied a coat of dull coat. Then I weathered it with water color pencils brushing on each coat and let dry over night. Started with a french grey, then raw umber, then burnt sienna, vandyke brown, and copper beach last.

CRW_7236a.jpgCRW_7238a.jpgCRW_7242a.jpg CRW_7233a.jpg
 


That looks really cool. I love the stain and the roof. Are you putting steps up to the door farthest from the tracks?
 
I'm thinking of embedding the back into a little hill and the building a small coaling section next to it. And thanks for the kudos.


Sent from Pete's Pad using Tapatalk
 
For your first build .. That's awesome!
Luv the slight sag in the roof and the tin is as good as I have seen.
 
For your first build .. That's awesome!
Luv the slight sag in the roof and the tin is as good as I have seen.

Yea the sag is not on purpose. It's card stock supporting the galvanized roof. But it does add to the character. I did allot of reading and watching videos on weathering. I think the water color technique I first came across in model railroad hobbyest. Practiced on the roofs of a couple of box cars and then went for it.


Sent from Pete's Pad using Tapatalk
 


The roof is about perfect with the slight sag. It was just some watercolor and paint wash?

lasm
 
The roof is about perfect with the slight sag. It was just some watercolor and paint wash?

lasm

A few tips for the water color is a little goes a long way when doing the layers of color. Also you need to let each layer dry overnight or they'll just blend into one yuck of a mess.

I would soak the pencil then use a small brush to get just a small amount off the end of the pencil and don't get the brush to soaked or it'll run.


Sent from Pete's Pad using Tapatalk
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top