ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Why winter?
My wife is a holiday fanatic. When I decided on this hobby, she asked me if it was going to have a Christmas scene, so I couldn't say no. About 15 years ago, we had bought a train set to put under the tree and did it for another 2 years and that was it. When Christmas decorations come out on November first, it takes 4 weeks to set up everything. So the reason I promise her a winter scene with everything that goes with it. Still haven't found Christmas lights to put on a few houses....lol
The village is set in snow. All the houses are set and the roofs painted. The next step before painting, is to make a bit of mounds here and there, work on the road, the stream and the mountain.
I had a thought. If you have trouble finding canadian railway pieces try the train cellar online it is in mount forest if they won't ship it to you I could pick it up and ship it to you. They do a bunch of painting and custom pieces when the manf doesn't make one of the canadian roads
That is about as good an explanation as there ever was. Winter is soooo long here sometimes that my layout is summer only, not even fall foliage allowed!
Hey Logan, at least when I look at my winter village, I'll always see that they have more snow then here in Ontario.
Funny thing, I always listen to the 60's on siriusXM radio when in the car and every time they talk about Minnesota, they always pronounce it MineSNOWta.
Here's my first attempt at ground cover.
I'll be adding other colors, bit of garbage, bit of water and rocks...... well it's a start
I still need to paint the road, haven't found the right color yet
I've been trying out Spiraea Japonica for my winter trees (no leafs). I've grabbed a few from the garden to dry them and remove the dead flowers. For now it will have to do as we just got 3 inches of snow today, so I'll just stay in and continue working on the layout.
Still been working on my container area
Finish part of the commercial link fence
Made a tree
I personally think it's looking good
Still needs little attention here and there
I guess you could, I needed a 32" piece and couldn't put it at 45 degrees, I probably could of done sections
I still have more fences to do, next time I'll give it a try