My first layout HO scale

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Sorry logan, but it wont be for a while, some winter trees maybe in the next 2 months

Right now I'm working at the red section which is the winter scene.
The white part (autumn) as begun, will have something in the next few months.

View attachment 49195

Why winter?
My wife is a holiday fanatic. When I decided on this hobby, she asked me if it was going to have a Christmas scene, so I couldn't say no. About 15 years ago, we had bought a train set to put under the tree and did it for another 2 years and that was it. When Christmas decorations come out on November first, it takes 4 weeks to set up everything. So the reason I promise her a winter scene with everything that goes with it. Still haven't found Christmas lights to put on a few houses....lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I had a thought. If you have trouble finding canadian railway pieces try the train cellar online it is in mount forest if they won't ship it to you I could pick it up and ship it to you. They do a bunch of painting and custom pieces when the manf doesn't make one of the canadian roads
 
Why winter?
My wife is a holiday fanatic. When I decided on this hobby, she asked me if it was going to have a Christmas scene, so I couldn't say no.


That is about as good an explanation as there ever was. Winter is soooo long here sometimes that my layout is summer only, not even fall foliage allowed!
 
Thanks Bc, I'll check them out

Hey Logan, at least when I look at my winter village, I'll always see that they have more snow then here in Ontario.
Funny thing, I always listen to the 60's on siriusXM radio when in the car and every time they talk about Minnesota, they always pronounce it MineSNOWta.
 
We have that rap, for snow that is, but this year the east coast got 3 times more snow than us. We never had more than 6" on the ground at one time.

A far contrast from last year, when we still had 3' at this time.
 
Looking good. Can't wait to see some ground cover on the layout. Looks like things are moving forward. Waiting for updates.
 
Montana, logan

Here's my first attempt at ground cover.
I'll be adding other colors, bit of garbage, bit of water and rocks...... well it's a start
I still need to paint the road, haven't found the right color yet

View attachment 49362

I've also been working on a guard rail (kit), 36" long and a link fence from scratch.
The link fence is a test, I need 42" of it.

View attachment 49363

View attachment 49364

Still working on my winter village. I added a few rock elevations and I'm now ready for some painting

View attachment 49365

I've been trying out Spiraea Japonica for my winter trees (no leafs). I've grabbed a few from the garden to dry them and remove the dead flowers. For now it will have to do as we just got 3 inches of snow today, so I'll just stay in and continue working on the layout.

That's it for now, later
 


Still been working on my container area
Finish part of the commercial link fence
Made a tree
I personally think it's looking good
Still needs little attention here and there

So enjoy theses 6 pictures
 
Nice video. Good design.

Do you think you would be able to apply the screening at a 45 degree angle instead of straight across to give it that chain link fence look?
 
Nice video. Good design.

Do you think you would be able to apply the screening at a 45 degree angle instead of straight across to give it that chain link fence look?

I guess you could, I needed a 32" piece and couldn't put it at 45 degrees, I probably could of done sections
I still have more fences to do, next time I'll give it a try

Thanks for the feedback
 


Just say they used field fence for that section instead of chain link. Everything is explainable with just a touch of suspension of disbelief.

Been catching up with your posts. Looking very nice.

I noticed that you seem to soldering all of your rail joints. You'll still need to run multiple feeders, especially for a long run.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top