ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
This is so encouraging. It amazes me how the whole project transformed to this point. I am starting an after school model train club next week with middle school aged kids and I am hopeful that we can come up with a nice layout like yours. Just seeing on how it first looked, to how it is now is totally out of this world!
I will use this as an inspiration for our club and rest assured, we will share with you guys are own experience just like how the OP shared his with us...
Hi Photoman,
I wish I was that good. I think it just ended up looking like that, the ground cover there is a mixture of woodland scenics green blend and earth blend with a small amount of ballast mixed in. I just used what I had and mixed it together and applied it to the area. I did the same thing in some other areas as well. I think that is one of the best things about this hobby, you can pretty much try anything if it looks ok, if not you can change it. Thanks for looking.
Lasm, thanks for looking, always nice to hear from you. Thanks again for putting out your videos, they are always helpful.
Emptypockets, thanks for the kind words.
Burakol, thanks for looking. I hope your after school program is a success. I started this layout with very little money and not a lot of room. I purchased almost everything from e-bay. I am running DC power because it is cheap to find and the engines are not very expensive. I have recieved a lot of help from the good people on this forum. I don't think you could find a better group of folks who love this hobby. I am glad to hear that you are getting kids envolved with model railroading, so many kids these days want to just play video games or text with friends. Please keep us posted on your progress, post some pics when you have some. Thanks again for the encouragement.
Thanks Louis, hopfully one day I will have a backdrop so we will not have to look at my water heater or my garage walls any more. I know I can probably do something for not much money, I just have to get the ok from the boss to get the items needed. Thanks again for looking.
Don't worry, Scott I have a water heater next to my layout too and I bet more then half of us don't have a back drop. Thank God we have a warm and dry place to play with our trains.
I thought I would play around with the camera today and take a few pics of stuff on the layout. I thought I would put them up. I know the lighting is terrible because the layout is in the garage and the door was open, I still think it is better than having it closed. I might get the hang of it one day (haha).
I really like the pictures, especially the last one! You almost need a guy sitting at the window playing chess by himself! Not really though. This pictures are great!
I've thoroughly enjoyed watching your layout come together. The next time you go out to the garage, stand 10' away from the layout and look at all you've got. I bet when you started, it didn't seem like you would be able to get here. It's easy to focus on one spot where you didn't get grass down and be upset about what you "don't have". By standing back and looking at the whole picture, it's much easier to feel accomplished.
bklynman01,
Thanks for the encouragement, you are right, when you step back and look at the layout, I feel like it is so much more than just some plywood and some track on it. I still want to do some more stuff, I have 2 areas that are up in the air right due to money issues but at least I can run the train around and work on small things or think about other ideas. Thanks for looking
Thanks Louis and Johne230,
I am not much of a cameraman , I thought these came out ok. I think the next time I get inspired, I will try to mess around with some lighting ideas. I thimk it is still fun to mess around and try to see how it would look if you were really in the scene. I hope that does not sound to wierd. Thanks guys.
Hey guys,
I just thought I would put some pics up of some new stuff. I made the move to steam so I needed a coal tower and water tower and a locomotive. The coal tower is a life like kit I purchased from ebay, the water tank is an atlas kit also from ebay and the locomotive is an IHC 2-8-0 consolidation. I know the locomotive is not the detailed in the world but it runs really good. I hope to do some wheathering to it soon and put the southern pacific decals on. I do not have an air brush for the wheathering, so I might have to go with powders, not sure how to do it yet, I do not want to mess it up. Thanks again for looking.