Model trains TV show

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


NYC_George

Well-Known Member
I was cannel surfing the other night when I came upon a TV show about real and model trains. I thought it was called high rails or something. The half hour episode was mostly about a company that designs and builds custom layouts. At the end of the show the host said, well that it until next time, so I guess it’s an ongoing series. It was sponsored by Walther’s,Trains and Classic Train magazine and a few others that I can’t remember. Has anyone else ever seen this show? If so how often is it on?

NYC_George
 
I've seen a show like that once a few months back, but they just had 0 scale. Haven't seen again though
 
Last edited by a moderator:


That's the show. I guess every episode has something different because the one I seen the other night was HO.

NYC_George
 
Contact your local PBS station and let them know that you would like it as part of their regular programming. If you have any buddies interested, or a local hobby shop, get them to help you get it aired.

Networks, especially PBS, are funded with public dollars and donations. Maybe, if you got a group together, you could help the station out and even sponsor the show yourselves. Just an idea.

Bob
 
tracks ahead comes on here in NJ at 730pm on sundays I believe. Its not just HO, but also shows live steam and such. Pretty cool show.
 


Tracks Aheard is a long running series, I believe in its 7th season now. Each episode generally covers 3 or 4 subjects, ranging from prototype operations, to railfanning, model train displays both tinplate and scale, plus basement and garden home layouts. Spencer Christian is host of the latest season.

Incidentally, full seasons of the show are avialable on DVD from several outlets for around $35.

NYW&B
 
I havent seen that show for over 10 years now. I still remember when the late Chuck Zaner(sp) was the host. Im not sure if he is known for anything else other then hosting that show before he passed away but for some reason I remember his name. Kalmbach was one of the sponsors back then. Still is from the looks of it. TA is about the only model railroading show I know of other then a quick series a few years ago on DIY network. Which wasnt much to see really.
 
For those of you in Chicago WYCC, channel 20.1 broadcast ,airs it on Monday at 7.30 PM. I remember that every week, Monday at 8!

The one I did catch had a Japanese train that had an all glass front and the engineer above. Think Hiawatha observation meets Boeing 747. They wanted the ultimate dome car. I think they got it!
 
I havent seen that show for over 10 years now. I still remember when the late Chuck Zaner(sp) was the host. Im not sure if he is known for anything else other then hosting that show before he passed away but for some reason I remember his name.

Chuck had the original concept for the show more than a decade ago and was, to my understanding, the moving force behind getting it to be a reality on TV.

NYW&B
 
There's also a train show on RFDTV that has both model and prototypes. I can't remember the name of it offhand and we don't RFDTV here, even though we are out in the sticks. :confused:
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top