ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Just noticed that in our Wal Mart a sign proclaiming that all magazines are sold at the USA cover price. I also noted they no longer have Model Railroader, Model Rail Craftsman and others no longer on the display. Fine scale Modeler is there and some other craft mags. So I'm thinking the dropped mags have been dropped because of the cover price.
Just curiosity, but what do you pay for your copies of Model Railroader?
Our local Wally World started selling all mags at the US price shown on the cover, then Kalmbach started sending them up here with only the Cdn price on the cover. They list at $7.25 per but WW or "Little China" sells them @ the old US price which I believe is $5.95?
I usually only buy them if there is an article that coincides with something I'm doing at the time.
I get all my "idears" from you fine folk here!
Loblaw's Super Store sells them here also. I noted the cover price at $7.25, and I wondered how they justify the big price differential. Oh! well like in the past I just pass them by, they're not worth the $7.25 plus 13% value added tax to me. Don't look like many if any are being sold, and maybe that is justification in itself for the differential when the stores tear the covers off for credit on unsold mags. Life goes on
I gave up my MR subscription about 10 yrs ago. To costly for my pension and I was not reading it anyway. In fact I subscribe to no magazines of any kind.
Just had a look at the subscription prices, lordy lordy what a conumdrum, I guess it must be $42.95 for in the US, I can maybe understand Can $52.95 cuz of the Canada Post ripoff but what the heck does (/ FOR $62.95) mean, if it's for exchange then they're worse than Canada Post for rip off.
AH! well I'll peruse it at the magazine rack
I'm like Larry, rather buy cars at Wal Mart anyway.
Cheers Willis
I never understood why MR's cover price and scrip rate was so high.
I get Model Airplane News for considerably less ($24/yr) as well as other aviation related magazines for much less than what MR goes for. It's one of the reasons I never subscribed.
I've been receiving MRR & RMC magazine since about 1965 & this year I'm cancelling both when the Subs. runs out. Well, take that back, my Model Railroader doesn't run out till 2009. It's getting way to expensive to receive 3 mags every month. I just signed up for Model RR News for a year. All of the articles in MR'er & RMC are repeats over the years. I think they run out of things to write about & go back to 20 years ago & repeat an article from then.
My Walmart stopped stocking MR'r & Rmc about 2 months ago. I asked yesterday to the magazine dist. at WM why the train mags weren't on the shelves anymore & he said, he didn't know, but all the WM's in his area weren't handling any RR mags anymore. When I was in Books a Million last week, they only had 3 RR mags & not about 7 that they had before. Wonder if the railroad publishers are wanting subscriptions only.
I'll add somthing else here...
When I did subscribe to MR I was more of an armchair modeler, so almost anything or everything was of interest. However the next issue would usually hit the stands about two to three weeks before I recieved it so I would often peruse the counter copy to see what was coming up. Bad idea as alot of the mags that I received later remained unwrapped and given away!
Now I have an LHS that gives % discounts off older mags up until three months at which point they just give them away after removing half the cover. I know what you mean about Can Post Willis, it's half the price to mail something to Mexico as it is to mail the identical package 60 miles away!
I do enjoy reading CRM, even tho I don't model Canadian roads much...
As for Wally World, there are three things I go there for, otherwise I support my local business' as much as possible.
Careful identifying LHS that gives away mags after tearing off cover - technically its theft. The shop is getting a refund of unsold issues b/c they're reporting them as destroyed.
Well well lookie at the MR mag. offer I got in my email, I can subscribe for one issue at only $8 Can a whole 75 cents more than I can get it off the mag. rack Boy oH! boy what a deal for someone it just keeps gettin betterer an betterer all the time. I wonder if someone told them we're a bunch of marks up here
Careful identifying LHS that gives away mags after tearing off cover - technically its theft. The shop is getting a refund of unsold issues b/c they're reporting them as destroyed.
Most publishers issue credit for unsold magazines after 3 months. Tear the header off the cover, and send them back to the publisher. It's pretty standard in the industry.
Thats why I get all my subscriptions to magazines online. My current subscription to MRR was only $28 or thereabouts. Railroad magazines are crazy expensive though. I can get my Road & Track subscription for $16 for 3 years!!!
P.S. The fellows are correct . The covers get torn off and the magazines are suppose to be thrown out not sold or given away . I use to live by a magazine distributor and we as kids use to dig in their garbage and pick up mags. that way !!!!