Model Railroader Mag. $$

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Cover price here in jersey no matter what store I goto, hobby or book store. It can get bad as I'll pick up MR, MRC, Popphoto and maybe another photo mag.
 


OK $1.30 difference, could be because of delivery charges especially if they are using UPS, and they're worse than Canada Post. I suppose they have to recover that cost by some means. Sure would be nice if they explained the difference in price instead of trying to cover it up
Thanks
Willis
 
As a former hobby shop owner I think I might know why magazines are dropped from time to time. They are sold to shops at only a 20% discount to retail, I would imagine that Walmart does get them at the same discount as they use local magizine wholesales to stock their racks. Most of the hobby shop owners I know only stock the magazines as a service as between the small discount they are getting from the publishers and the time taken to return old issues in the short window the publisher give them there is very little profit to pocket.
 
If I had a kid and he wanted to get into Model RR, and I wanted some magazines to read up about it, a Hobby Shop would be the first place I'd look. I wouldn't necessarily look at a Wal-Mart or other Big Box.

Kennedy
 
Ah! Kennedy B'y, in defense of my use of Wal Mart, they happen to be one of the best around here. We have no hobby shops close by, just the big box stores, perhaps that's why we don't have local Hobby Shops :(

Cheers
 
OK $1.30 difference, could be because of delivery charges especially if they are using UPS, and they're worse than Canada Post. I suppose they have to recover that cost by some means. Sure would be nice if they explained the difference in price instead of trying to cover it up
Thanks
Willis


Isn't the difference in price between the Canadian and the United States market due to the old exchange rate between the CDN$ and the US$? The exchange rate, between these two currencies, was unchanged for so long that many thought it was permanent and unfluxuating. Now that the currency market is very volatile, due mostly from a shift from a technology based world market, which favored the use of the US$ to a commodity market, which favors the CDN$, many publishers are struggling to keep up with change.
 
which favored the use of the US$ to a commodity market, which favors the CDN$, many publishers are struggling to keep up with change.
Actually the rates are published daily and are obtainable on the net and from any financial institution. When our dollar dropped a few cents they had no problem computing the difference even though most had a built in buffer. The rates only vary by a couple of cents weekly so acceptance at par seems to be acceptable by most (except financial institutions, but then again they are not used on a daily basis by most)
Doesn't matter, we've had the saying a dollar is a dollar so long that we actually want a dollars worth. MR is not the only ones the vehicle markets had that excuse and traded on it for so long they think they can still do it and now it's costing them IMHO too bad, they made the rules and excuses now they better learn to live with them. A big crunch is coming, food and a place to live will be the main items, those who choose to be difficult now will not be forgotten for some time to come that is if they survive. The printed magazine is not cheap to produce or to transport, however the public expect and demand a fair price or they walk especially if it is an non essential item. When the Cdn $ was worth about 70 to 80 cents US I quit buying both MR and RMC and started to buy a Cdn published Cdn.-Rr-Modeler
As far as the magazines future, Mr Gates of Micro Soft has forecast there will be a major step in internet communications due to new breakthrough micro chip technology, chances are this could be the start to the end of the magazine rack anyway. But I guess we'll have to wait and see for that development of download, save to disc or print what you want.
In Jan of this year there was a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire on the dealers lot for $13,000 it's still unsold and now reduced to $7,000. (in Dec 07, I bought the same 2005 model (close to same mileage) for $4,200 from at much smarter sales lot) So as I've said excuses don't count. The big three Automakers and their dealers are screaming, and customs are making it difficult but people are crossing the border to buy cars, but many cars are coming across anyway. Big Question Why is the base price (excluding tax) of a car built in Canada thousands more in Canada than it costs in the US if a dollar = Dollar or very close to it?
Most of the dealerships here are in the same area, every one of them has rebuilt a new palace to replace their old show rooms, maybe they hoped to pay for this with a price differential, as I type this a new building is being built for the Mazda dealer very close to the Ford palace probably to make use of the service facilities.
There is a tool kit called Time-sert that I want, it costs $400 and change in the US and the dealers wont ship to Canada, the same kit sells for close to $800 in Canada hard to blame that on UPS so guess where I'll buy mine, eBay.
No matter what the excuse I smell Rip Off
Cheers Willis
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top