ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I dont have a layout that is up and running yet, so to pass time i often use paint and Railroad paintshop and create fantasy units or fantasy schemes that locomotives never wore. Figured id share some. Not all are totally complete, there are some white spots. Ill add more as i complete them. Ive got probably close to 50 in the works, including a BNSF Heritage unit, my RR's Adirondack and Northern scheme, and an F38, yes an F7 and GP38-2's baby. Heres a couple of my favorites.
1.) KCS GP7 in the "Southern Belle" Scheme. (idea sparked by me and TMLW)
2.) My favorite locomotive in my favorite railroad, an AC4400CW in Delaware and Hudson "Lightning Stripes"
Matt, there's something about the Southern Belle scheme on a GP-7 that just looks too busy. I like the D&H scheme on the AC4400 - lots of space stretch out that lightning stripe.
See Jim, i felt the exact opposite. I liked the Belle unit except for the platform, to much yellow and thought the DH one was to bland. Your right though, i need to make a thicker stripe and letter it. New project!
1.) EMD Model 40 in DH. I need to but the DH shield underneath the cab and change around a few things before im happy.
2.) Updated AC4400CW. Im not happy with this locomotive. I need to add more blue and drop the stripes i think, not to mention do something with the trucks.
3.) Updated GP7. Made the Frame less yellow and added a rear stripe. I made the rear stripe a bit thinner too. It still needs work.
I like the Southern Belle'ish paint job on the GP7. Even the KCS uses the scheme now it was originally in use by the Louisiana & Arkansas Railway. The Southern Belle, Shreveporter and Hustler passenger trains were all L&A trains being operated on the KCS.
That's more what I was thinking for that GP. It's still missing something though..... can"t quite put my finger on it... O well, I'll give it some thought over the weekend. Looks good though!
That's more what I was thinking for that GP. It's still missing something though..... can"t quite put my finger on it... O well, I'll give it some thought over the weekend. Looks good though!
Looks good so far but IMHO:
Black stripe is to tall and missing it's red outline. Move the bottom of the red to the bottom of the window or maybe a little below will make a world of difference. Check these out for reference:
Just finished a P42 in Canadian Pacifics Maroon and Grey Scheme. This locomotive was the easiest so far. The CP lettering is horrible and im not sure if i like the frame, but I think im going to do a few more of these.