ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Well I got off my shift this morning, came home and started working on taking apart the D9T. I used a Dremel with a grinding wheel, jewelers screw drivers and a small tack hammer. First I split the tractor by taking out the two screws on the bottom then I ground off the flared ends of the rivets and carefully tapped them out. A couple were a little bit stubborn but slowly they came apart. Here is a rough look at how the load will be when done. I will add some weathering, blocking and chains to finish it off soon. While I was working on it my 2 year old grandson decided I also need to work on some of his cars and trucks too.
If you have a Tractor Supply close to you or go on line they have all of the Norscott stuff almost all the time for $12.95 & up. If they don't have them yet, they will right after Thanksgiving for the Christmas Gifting for all.
I know Hobby Lobby did carry Norscot for quite awhile but they have now stopped carrying the line at all. At least in my area they have. I've never seen them in the Tractor Supplies in this area either.
The D11T might be a bit harder I think they are wider and will need to have the tracks loaded separately by themselves. Maybe they will make one in 1/87 scale soon I'd like to try it just for the heck of it.
If you have a Tractor Supply close to you or go on line they have all of the Norscott stuff almost all the time for $12.95 & up. If they don't have them yet, they will right after Thanksgiving for the Christmas Gifting for all.
Certainly worth a try, the place I quoted for them had 3@ $11.99 and got me in another 4 at the new price of $19.99. It still worked out $3-4 dollars each cheaper including international postage than I can get them from at the cheapest importer here (for the 7 total)
I know Hobby Lobby did carry Norscot for quite awhile but they have now stopped carrying the line at all. At least in my area they have. I've never seen them in the Tractor Supplies in this area either.
The D11T might be a bit harder I think they are wider and will need to have the tracks loaded separately by themselves.
I was told by one of my club members to try a John Deere dealer near me for tractor models but it was some time ago (never got round to it)
Yes, there's a youtube vid of a D11 getting loaded onto a road trailer and as you say the tracks hang over the side, but there's also another of some buildings being tranported by rail and they're overhanging the cars by about 3-4 feet on either side. You know what they say, if you look hard enough, you'll find a prototype.
This is my first attempt at a railroad load, was thinking of putting a heavy plant factory on my layout so i thought i'd better start making some loads.
The tracks are from an old 1/35 tank kit, the tarp is foil from a wine bottle on top of blocks of wood.
I have no idea what make the flat car is but it was cheap so good for me
heres my contribution:
a scrap lumber load i made out of popsicle sticks View attachment 33800
a sort of water pump/ turbine thingy i made View attachment 33801
a f-unit load i made. im going to weather it to make it look like it was in a fire since the roof over the cab is melted View attachment 33802
Also, on the topic of crazy loads, I was watching this video from a small short line rail company in my area. They know how to flex their muscle. The video quality is not great, though.
Progressive Rail is one of those short lines that is begging to be modeled. Especially for a shelf layout. They do a lot more then just the specialized stuff shown in the video.
Jerome did you do those or did you find them somewhere?
I see PGR's switchers all the time in Rosemount and Lakeville, but I'd personally love to model their SD38-2 and SD39. They strike a chord with me not just because I live nearby them, but also because PGR #38 was a Great Northern unit. They also have a GP9 hiding somewhere, but I have never seen it.
The blue doesn't really look right though. Maybe it's your lighting.
Steve, my blue is close, that picture is a really bright flash. You know I have to model every switcher out there I had the decals made up by HighBall Graphics. He made a set then released them to everyone. Set #L-234 it covers switchers and hood units. Never seen any Progressive switchers, I wanted to be the first to do them.