ledzeppelinfan1
Member
Entry #1
In the months leading up to this journal, which I will document the progress of my layout, I spent a vast amount of time researching the art of professional model railroading. In this time, I found my niche; I'm the type with limited space and a limited budget who seeks to get the most out of said space in attempt to trick himself and the viewer into a larger experience. Well after maybe a 100 hours of research and dreaming, the months have turned into mere days as the taxes are done and now its just time to wait.
Then, a snag.
I found out my total tax refund and its slightly less than expected. If it was close to a certain amount, my wife was cool with a 1500 dollar budget, after shipping AND taxes. But its less than that certain amount, and with other responsibilities calling my name, it is only right that I attempt to do everything I had in mind at a cheaper price, even if some comprises must be made.
Sigh...oh well, honestly I'm lucky she is still even remotely cool with it. Probably because she knows shutting me down will cause pouting of epic (and pathetic) proportions. Truly.
Well the comprises are probably as follows:
1. The use of sectional track over flex as it can be found in super cheap lots if you do good research. I feel that I would be pretty good for a beginner with flex track after all my research and COUNTLESS hours of watching how-to' videos. But the fact is its about the money. Period. HOWEVER, I will not comprimise on Peco Turnouts...those are a must. And small quantities of flex will be purchased for spurs with paths not conducive to sectional track without a BUNCH of cutting and patching. So for now its Atlas Code 83 and Peco #5 turnouts.
2. A couple structures were going to be Woodland Scenics Built-Ups that are industrial in nature and expensive as hell. Combined cost of 130 bucksfor two structures!!! Yikes!!!! So replacing those with a much cheaper alternative is now something of interest. And going through the many other structures and replacing them with other smaller and cheaper details is another way to reduce costs in a still effective way.
Layout Plan
The Layout will be a freelance HO Scale 10x5 modeling the late 80's and early 90's. It is a shortline railroad in Missouri (Destination Not Yet Chosen) that sees running of many different rail lines. The table will be built of 1x4's with 4 inches of foam for plenty of room for carving in the terrain. Almost every ground cover, foliage, brush, weeds, etc offered by Woodland Scenics will be featured on the layout. Scenery and reliability is the highest goal.
The layout will be divided into 4 separate scenes. Two longer scenes, approximately 6 feet long, will be accompanied by shorter scenes along the shorter (five foot sections) The goal is to model even the transitional scenes in a way that they fade naturally into one another.
I have an interesting trick I've come up with for portable backdrops I will get into later.
So...periodically I will post questions, ask for advice and give updates. Some times I will post lists for myself...so if you see something that makes no damn sense, nevermind it.
Hopefully all goes well and many follow!!!
Stephen
About Me (For Those Who Care)
I'm a 34 (just turned 34 in January) year old Father of four. I live in Midway, Arkansas and work with the developmentally disabled. I'm an avid guitar player, having played for nearly 20 years at this point. I try to lead a simple quiet life after many stupid stretches in my younger years. Thanks for following.
In the months leading up to this journal, which I will document the progress of my layout, I spent a vast amount of time researching the art of professional model railroading. In this time, I found my niche; I'm the type with limited space and a limited budget who seeks to get the most out of said space in attempt to trick himself and the viewer into a larger experience. Well after maybe a 100 hours of research and dreaming, the months have turned into mere days as the taxes are done and now its just time to wait.
Then, a snag.
I found out my total tax refund and its slightly less than expected. If it was close to a certain amount, my wife was cool with a 1500 dollar budget, after shipping AND taxes. But its less than that certain amount, and with other responsibilities calling my name, it is only right that I attempt to do everything I had in mind at a cheaper price, even if some comprises must be made.
Sigh...oh well, honestly I'm lucky she is still even remotely cool with it. Probably because she knows shutting me down will cause pouting of epic (and pathetic) proportions. Truly.
Well the comprises are probably as follows:
1. The use of sectional track over flex as it can be found in super cheap lots if you do good research. I feel that I would be pretty good for a beginner with flex track after all my research and COUNTLESS hours of watching how-to' videos. But the fact is its about the money. Period. HOWEVER, I will not comprimise on Peco Turnouts...those are a must. And small quantities of flex will be purchased for spurs with paths not conducive to sectional track without a BUNCH of cutting and patching. So for now its Atlas Code 83 and Peco #5 turnouts.
2. A couple structures were going to be Woodland Scenics Built-Ups that are industrial in nature and expensive as hell. Combined cost of 130 bucksfor two structures!!! Yikes!!!! So replacing those with a much cheaper alternative is now something of interest. And going through the many other structures and replacing them with other smaller and cheaper details is another way to reduce costs in a still effective way.
Layout Plan
The Layout will be a freelance HO Scale 10x5 modeling the late 80's and early 90's. It is a shortline railroad in Missouri (Destination Not Yet Chosen) that sees running of many different rail lines. The table will be built of 1x4's with 4 inches of foam for plenty of room for carving in the terrain. Almost every ground cover, foliage, brush, weeds, etc offered by Woodland Scenics will be featured on the layout. Scenery and reliability is the highest goal.
The layout will be divided into 4 separate scenes. Two longer scenes, approximately 6 feet long, will be accompanied by shorter scenes along the shorter (five foot sections) The goal is to model even the transitional scenes in a way that they fade naturally into one another.
I have an interesting trick I've come up with for portable backdrops I will get into later.
So...periodically I will post questions, ask for advice and give updates. Some times I will post lists for myself...so if you see something that makes no damn sense, nevermind it.
Hopefully all goes well and many follow!!!
Stephen
About Me (For Those Who Care)
I'm a 34 (just turned 34 in January) year old Father of four. I live in Midway, Arkansas and work with the developmentally disabled. I'm an avid guitar player, having played for nearly 20 years at this point. I try to lead a simple quiet life after many stupid stretches in my younger years. Thanks for following.
Last edited by a moderator:
