La Mirada, CA Industrial Switching Layout Progress

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I'm jealous of the progress you have made in such short time Josh, I'm still dicking around with planning,I don't even have the bench work together for my layout. :(
 
It's coming along nicely Josh. Whats up with the CSX power? I thought you were a BNSF guy.


Thanks Stephen :D Im chugging right along, just ballasting small sections at a time, its alot easier then sitting down and spending several hours doing it all at once lol


The CSX power was out so that i could photograph it. I think im going to be selling them, and well I know that Kellan is a CSX modeler so I had taken the pictures for him since he had requested them. If he doesnt take them all :D I am thinking of selling them and will be posting them on the forums for sale. There all Athearn RTR & Genesis models and I have 2 CSX YN3 SD50's, 1 CSX "Stealth" SD60, 1 CSX YN3 SD70M w/DCC/SOUND, and 1 CSX YN3 SD70MAC
 


I'm jealous of the progress you have made in such short time Josh, I'm still dicking around with planning,I don't even have the bench work together for my layout. :(

LOL Cory, Dont worry, this has been in the planning stages for a while now. I spent a good couple months planning, and then I just started one day and jumped in. This is the first time ive actually started building one of the plans that I planned out and went with it because its of reasonable size for me at this time. The portable modules are also another plus to this plan, because when i do move out, I can take them with me without having to break a layout down, thats the biggest thing that has been holding me back all this time with my plans I have done in the past
 
I got quite a bit more ballasting done last night and this morning. ill take some pictures after the ballast work from this morning has dried so it doesnt look so goofy with the part that is darker because its still wet lol
 
josh one question, how will you put them all together?? this seems like a good idea but how will each section tie into another?? chime cause i like your idea of the seperate section...
 
josh one question, how will you put them all together?? this seems like a good idea but how will each section tie into another?? chime cause i like your idea of the seperate section...

Each module will have a set of pins that will align with the next. This will align them and allow for a set of carriage bolts to be slid through pre-drilled holes and secured in place with a wing nut on the other end of the bolt, butting the modules up against each other and holding them in place when in operation. I have yet to install the pins or the bolt holes in this module im working on as of yet, but will get to that when I build the next module to make sure I get everything lined up correctly :D
 
Got all the ballasting done for the most part on the module. I also installed some Walthers Track Bumpers at the right end of the module for the end of the yard, here is a quick few pictures

SL370152.jpg


SL370153.jpg


SL370154.jpg
 
I just looked at the pictures and ill throw out there that because the Camera Angle is lower, it may appear that there is ballast on the tops of the ties, there isnt lol. Ill have to take some pictures higher up next time
 


okay and how about the actual track how will it connect?? sorry bout all the questions but just wondering..lol

on the left side of the module you will notice that I did not go all the way to the edge of the module (except for that turnout that hangs off). I will do the same with the module that connects to this module, and will simply drop small sections of connecting track in place when the modules are connecting. I just thought about it a little though, and im not sure how im going to deal with ballast on the connecting pieces, but im sure ill figure something out to hide the fact that there will be connecting tracks so they dont stick out like a sore thumb lol
 
Looking good Josh! Maybe its just my eyes, but does the main have a ''kink'' in the rails about half way down?
 
Looking good Josh! Maybe its just my eyes, but does the main have a ''kink'' in the rails about half way down?

Thanks Kellan! :D

Hmmm it sure does appear to have a kink now doesnt it :confused:

Ill have to look at it closer when I get back home after the weekend. I hadnt noticed anything when ballasting the area, but now that you pointed it out it sure does look like it has a kink, and that spot is where 2 pieces of flex join
 
LOL well the short answer is no :(

I havnt been able to work on the module much in the past week, ive been helping my uncle get my grandparents 2nd house ready for new tenants to move in. So its kept me busy since last Friday morning, working 10-12 hour days since to get it back to presentable.... We still have a couple major things to do yet including installing a new shower in the Master Bathroom (which involves ripping out a wall and moving the studs back so the new shower will fit), building a new BBQ Countertop, and finishing sealing the planters in the backyard that are against the house so they dont seep in the house anymore (baseboards inside were rotted where the planters are on the otherside of the wall, so we know they have been seeping through the foundation). So long story short, there is no progress to post LOL

I am however going to order a few more GP60M's for the layout, so im hoping to order them early next week and have them sometime early the following week :D
 
Small update regarding the GP60M's for the layout

As you may have read, there will be 6 of them serving the layout. i was originally concerned about getting only Athearn RTR GP60M's from the 2009 run, but since ive heard that nothing has really changed in the guts of the GP60M's from the 2003 run to the latest run of them, I feel better about getting some of the older run GP60M's as well. Also, thanks to Andy, he pointed out that i do not have to renumber all of them because La Mirada gets new locomotives every 90 days, and there will never be the same numbers there. So this is what im going to do:

2 GP60M's in the Heritage II paint scheme, roadnumbers 112 and 157
2 GP60M's in the BNSF Warbonnet paint scheme, roadnumbers 139 and ?
2 GP60M's in the Santa Fe Warbonnet paint scheme, roadnumbers 144 & 152

I already have a Santa Fe Warbonnet which is #152 and a BNSF Heritage II which is #112. So I will be ordering 4 more, (1) of #157, (2) of #139; one of them will have to be renumbered as there is not 2 #'s available so there is no way of getting around renumbering one of them, and (1) of #144. This will give me 2 GP60M's in each of the 3 paint schemes BNSF has currently and whatever the numbers that Athearn did on them will be just fine since La Mirada wont have the same #'s from time to time anyhow

Im gunna order the 4 hopefully Tuesday :D
 
That takes some pressure off knowing that the units are basically the same and get changed out four times a year.
 
That takes some pressure off knowing that the units are basically the same and get changed out four times a year.

It sure does lol

And one more update, I just pulled the trigger and placed an order for 3 more GP60M's. This will give me a total of 5 GP60M's, and all I will have to do is find one more BNSF Warbonnet GP60M, maybe I can pick one up on HOYARDSALE or ebay so I wont have to re-number it like i planned to do. Ill look for a while, and if I can find one ill just have to hope that Trainworld still has them lol

These are the 3 that I just ordered and hopefully will ship to me on Tuesday:

http://www.trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=18240
http://www.trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=18254
http://www.trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=18247
 


Well apparently it took Trainworld 2 days to tell me that all 3 of the GP60M's I ordered Sunday evening were not in stock and not available and that my entire order has been canceled. This is pretty frustrating considering that they are listed on their website and appear to be available but they no longer have them available.... So basically I wasted my time i guess? :mad:
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top