La Mirada, CA Industrial Switching Layout Progress

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Track painted and Ground Throws installed

SL370133.jpg


SL370134.jpg


SL370135.jpg


SL370136.jpg



And this picture, you can see where i knocked over the paint thinner can and well, it ate a hole in my foam base :o So I will have to fill this hole before ballasting that section :rolleyes:

SL370137.jpg
 


Good going with the paint thinner, Josh :P

Had a similar experience with plastic cement a few years back on my N scale layout :P

Mike
 
Good going with the paint thinner, Josh :P

Had a similar experience with plastic cement a few years back on my N scale layout :P

Mike

LOL well yeah, I didnt do it on purpose, and i think it could have been worse if I wasnt so quick to pick the can of Paint Thinner up :eek: I was amazed how fast that hole burned right through the foam. Im also glad that the can was only 1/4 full when it spilled :rolleyes: I was popping the lid off of one of the spray cans, and for some reason it didnt want to budge, so naturally I pulled harder and when it gave out, my hand flew back and knocked the paint thinner over :o
 
LOL well yeah, I didnt do it on purpose, and i think it could have been worse if I wasnt so quick to pick the can of Paint Thinner up :eek: I was amazed how fast that hole burned right through the foam. Im also glad that the can was only 1/4 full when it spilled :rolleyes: I was popping the lid off of one of the spray cans, and for some reason it didnt want to budge, so naturally I pulled harder and when it gave out, my hand flew back and knocked the paint thinner over :o

Hah :p

It would make for a great scene from Thomas though!
 


Been ballasting the mainline and the first track next to the mainline the last few hours. Havnt gotten much done, just doing small sections at a time and taking my time making sure that I fill the ties just enough without over filling them as well as doing inspections to make sure no ballast is on the tops of the ties after the Matte Medium Adhesive. So far ive gotten about 5' of mainline, 3' of the track next to the mainline, and one turnout ballasted with Santa Fe "Winslow Hue" from Arizona Rock & Mineral. The other tracks in the yard will be either light or medium gray blends mixed from Penn Gray & CSX/SP Gray Ballast

Will post some pictures when I get a little more done and its worth snapping some pictures off lol
 
Got some pictures to update on the ballast work that I have been slowly working on the past couple days. I finally got a good enough portion done worth taking pictures for lol. Im about half way ballasted with Module #5 now...

Here are a few pictures:


SL370148.jpg


SL370149.jpg


SL370150.jpg


SL370151.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good, very neat ballast work. I also like that redish color ballast with the concrete ties. Looks cool.
 
Looking good, very neat ballast work. I also like that redish color ballast with the concrete ties. Looks cool.

Thank you Michael!

I think that is why it has been taking so long to ballast, because making sure that no ballast is left on the tie tops before gluing and after gluing is tedious and time consuming lol

I have to say, the Matte Medium adhesive is working very well, and im really pleased with it. It is working way better then white glue/water and is alot easier to apply, it really flows nicely and soaks everything very well, and when dry, its somewhat flexible yet still strong enough not to break loose.

That redish ballast is actual crushed Santa Fe "Winslow Hue" rock, which is why I like it so much because it matches the mainline running through La Mirada so closely :D
 
It's coming along nicely Josh. Whats up with the CSX power? I thought you were a BNSF guy.
 


Thank you Michael!

I think that is why it has been taking so long to ballast, because making sure that no ballast is left on the tie tops before gluing and after gluing is tedious and time consuming lol

I have to say, the Matte Medium adhesive is working very well, and im really pleased with it. It is working way better then white glue/water and is alot easier to apply, it really flows nicely and soaks everything very well, and when dry, its somewhat flexible yet still strong enough not to break loose.

That redish ballast is actual crushed Santa Fe "Winslow Hue" rock, which is why I like it so much because it matches the mainline running through La Mirada so closely :D

Hmm, sounds like I need to get some matt medium and try that. I've been using WS scenic cement and sometimes it breaks up.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top