ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hmm, thought I edited my previous post to ask this, odd... Anyway, Jerome, I was wondering on your Southern Platte unit a couple pages back, did you add a new see through screen on the top of the hood, or did it come stock that way? If you replaced it where did you get the part?
Thanks again for the info, this thread has really helped in my detail work
Jason, no that is a stock Athearn plastic grill. it just looks see through because of the gloss-coating and the flash. If you want a see through grill, Athearn's RTR and Atlas sell them. BUT, then you'd have to fabricate the underneath parts of the radiator.
The top grill is test fitted to the rear model. The front model displays the detail underneath the grill.
I have filled off the front radiator grill on one loco and the Detail Associates SW 1200 radiator louvres can be seen in front of that model. You can compare the moulded grill by looking at the front model.
The SW 1200 front grill is a different style to the later EMD switchers. The front grill part shown in the pic in front of the rear model is from Atlas. You can order the Atlas MP 15 DC grills from Atlas parts.
I haven't built much lately with other peoples projects going on, but I have managed to get a few newer switchers for the fleet. First up an Athearn RTR SP SW1500. Decoder installed and the lights work nice.
Next up an Athearn Genesis SOO MP15. Will need a decoder first, runs nice on DC for now.
Remember when I told you last night about the auction I went to and that among other things, I got 2 switchers? Here they are!!
Boss when on a buying spree again. Frank & Ernest arn't quite sure what to make of the new arrivals yet. They do run, suprisingly well considering thier size.
True. Question is though, do you think hey will have enough room for decoders and lighting? Figuring I could shave off the molded details, add a ton more, and have a really bizarre lil critter or 2.