ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Jerome, do you know of any company out there that makes a "radioactive" placard for hazmat cars? I have searched companies that i know of and found nothing. Its for a 53' gondola.
Hey Steve, I have been working on a custom project for APL Logistics (had to make APLL logos) and used Bell Decal paper for the custom decals. These are going on Atlas 53' ribbed sided containers. PITA to apply them over the ribs with the softest small brush I could lay hands on and liberal amounts of Microsol to get them down in the ribs, BUT, the Bell paper is SWEET. I bought the inkjet paper, a sample pack of 10 sheets of white and clear both. It wasn't cheap but not very expensive either, I want to say like $17.00 for a 10 clear sheets and 10 white sheets, all 8.5 x 11". GREAT stuff. i used Testors dullcoat in the rattle can to seal them with two coats after leting them dry for an hour out of the printer. I can't reccommend the Bell paper enough. I've tried most of the others and some were ok, some just sucked. The Microscale paper was allright (laser, haven't tried the inkjet paper yet), but the Bell is my paper of choice for now on. When these display models containers dry, I'll post photos.
Oh ok, I see it now. All of the S2s that I've had used AAR switcher trucks so I've never seen that truck before. (I've only had S2s since Alcos are outside of my modeling era)
Yep. their blunt trucks. Used on Alco switchers from the HH600 through to the S-2. The S-6 originally had blunt trucks too. The South Buffalo got the first one off the production line and it sported blunt trucks for at least a few months.
Later Alco switchers had AAR trucks as they are easier to maintain.
But what project does Jerome have in mind with Alco switchers and Athearn mechanisms?
I'm terribly sorry Jerome, but I have to make another one of those annoying suggestions for your project list. Perhaps your've already seen this particular SW1500.
Yes, I wonder how hard it is to make one's own decals? Well, I think all those annoying people who keep giving you difficult suggestions ought do the project themsleves. So I'm going to put this one on my to do list. I have quite a few other projects though so I don't expect to get around to it until sometime next year.
I came across this photo while looking for a rear cab shot of RSSX 1. It is an ex-Kodak switcher too, though in their more common colour scheme. I've abandoned my South Buffalo rwy. ideas as the blast furnace at Lackawanna was closed some 10 years before the SB rwy. got their first SW1500's.
I might do a freelance steel works instead. So I am looking at various ideas on what to model with the 2 SW1500's I have. I'm thinking my steel works might hire loco's rather than own them. That way I can use the locos at my club also. Relco has some HH660's, so I might do my HH600 as RELX 601. I know Altas did this one but it requires no structural modifications, unlike RELX 603 and 604 (back of cab has been modified on the prototypes). RELX 606 is orange. I could do that instead, I suppose.