Is This Within My Capabilities

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.

Smudge617

Well-Known Member
I've found this on everyone's favourite auction site, I like this, (there aren't many US steamers I do like if I'm honest) but I'm unsure whether I have the skills it seems to require to finish it as this is a major kitbash.

Please read the description and let me know your thoughts.

 
Please read the description and let me know your thoughts.

Your probably the only one that can answer this.

I suppose it boils down too, do you want to take on this project? Is the time and money spent to acquire what's needed worth it to you when finished, or are there other projects you would like to peruse first?

Not knowing much about steam locomotive, I wouldn't even begin to know what this project would entail to complete!
 
Your probably the only one that can answer this.

I suppose it boils down too, do you want to take on this project? Is the time and money spent to acquire what's needed worth it to you when finished, or are there other projects you would like to peruse first?

Not knowing much about steam locomotive, I wouldn't even begin to know what this project would entail to complete!
This is part of the blurb the seller has posted, I've worked on steamers before but simple Hornby or Bachmann ones which are totally different from something like this.

"There are countless man hours of good quality work in this part completed model. The majority of the hard work has been done. Not to mention the many $$$ of parts bought and fitted.
That said is not finished and does need time spending to bring it to completion. It runs ok but does need a touch of fettling in the motion/driveline".
 


Really depends on your skills and the available parts to make this model run great.
I have an old model of a C630 by Ajin. It sounds like a coffee grinder running down the tracks and draws over an amp when running. I've been through that thing several times over the years and just can't get it to run any better. It's a cabinet queen now and the primary reason I don't buy brass locos.
 
Really depends on your skills and the available parts to make this model run great.
I have an old model of a C630 by Ajin. It sounds like a coffee grinder running down the tracks and draws over an amp when running. I've been through that thing several times over the years and just can't get it to run any better. It's a cabinet queen now and the primary reason I don't buy brass locos.
Yes, that is my fear as well, and I can't use it as a shelf queen coz I don't have a shelf big enough for it.
 
I've found this on everyone's favourite auction site, I like this, (there aren't many US steamers I do like if I'm honest) but I'm unsure whether I have the skills it seems to require to finish it as this is a major kitbash.

Please read the description and let me know your thoughts.

If it was something I was interested in, I'd probably go for it. But, that's me. Having seen photos of your modeling on here, I have no doubt in my mind that you could easily see it thru to completion.
 
If I wanted it, and could get it for close to the starting bid, I'd probably try to get it.
"But".
I know Rivarossi engines.
I know American steam.
I know how to quarter the running gear.
I know how to make sure everything is aligned to run as good as it can.
If you can answer "yes" to the above, you would probably be able to get it finished, if it doesn't need any unobtainium parts.
 
Chris, I believe you are very capable to finish off the steam locomotive. I would question if the missing detail parts are included as written in a previous reply. If they are that price is decent. You definitely can paint and weather it. I think you can easily handle gluing some parts.

My question is, can you run it on your layout? It will need broad curves to look good. If you can’t then walk away.
 


I've found this on everyone's favourite auction site, I like this, (there aren't many US steamers I do like if I'm honest) but I'm unsure whether I have the skills it seems to require to finish it as this is a major kitbash.
I'm no expert, but I've seen you do some amazing things. Your diligence can make up for your inexperience and your willingness to ask questions could fill in the blanks.

I can't give you any assurances you can do it. I can say you never know until you try. Beware you might/probably will spend more than the purchase price if you start chasing parts.

If you aren't spending your lunch money, why not give it a try?
 
That is a cool project. Not being specifically a C&O fan, even i can appreciate the work that was put into it. The "flying pumps" and the long Vanderbilt tender definitely give it that Chesapeake and Ohio look and looking at all the brass parts alone, you'd be paying £100 just for the parts. The Elesco water heater kit (that round cylinder up on top-front of the smoke box) together with associated piping goes for more than $20 here in the States if you can find one. It says the locomotive has Sagami motor already installed in place of original Rivarossi coffee grinder, that's already ahead of the game. No clue what does "needs a touch of fettling" mean here, sorry, I don't speak British🤣. Overall looks like an interesting project, and if you decide to go for it, there are numerous books and Internet material on C&O steam, as that is a very liked and popular subject with rail fans. You will probably have fun just doing research on it and will probably appreciate American steam locomotives more while working on it.
 
That is a cool project. Not being specifically a C&O fan, even i can appreciate the work that was put into it. The "flying pumps" and the long Vanderbilt tender definitely give it that Chesapeake and Ohio look and looking at all the brass parts alone, you'd be paying £100 just for the parts. The Elesco water heater kit (that round cylinder up on top-front of the smoke box) together with associated piping goes for more than $20 here in the States if you can find one. It says the locomotive has Sagami motor already installed in place of original Rivarossi coffee grinder, that's already ahead of the game. No clue what does "needs a touch of fettling" mean here, sorry, I don't speak British🤣. Overall looks like an interesting project, and if you decide to go for it, there are numerous books and Internet material on C&O steam, as that is a very liked and popular subject with rail fans. You will probably have fun just doing research on it and will probably appreciate American steam locomotives more while working on it.
Driveline/motor and/or assorted moving parts need work to get it running 100% as it should, (it does run, but not well) so it would need "fettling" to get it running properly. :)
So if I take it on, I may well have to furkle around to find any missing parts.
 
Driveline/motor and/or assorted moving parts need work to get it running 100% as it should, (it does run, but not well) so it would need "fettling" to get it running properly. :)
So if I take it on, I may well have to furkle around to find any missing parts.
Steam seems complicated on the outside because of the valve gear. Easiest to put it on track and try to run it slow. If that doesn't do the trick, take the motor out and push the running gear down the track with your finger, that's the sure way to feel for any binding. And usually you can see "jumping" valve piece which would indicate need for filing with a mini file. Many times you can hear quiet ticking where the walve motion pieces are hitting each other. Hopefully the main driving wheels are quartered correctly, that's the main thing with any steam locomotive. Looking at those wheels on pictures, not only the valve gear is replaced, but the wheels don't look like the standard Rivarossi issued.
 
Steam seems complicated on the outside because of the valve gear. Easiest to put it on track and try to run it slow. If that doesn't do the trick, take the motor out and push the running gear down the track with your finger, that's the sure way to feel for any binding. And usually you can see "jumping" valve piece which would indicate need for filing with a mini file. Many times you can hear quiet ticking where the walve motion pieces are hitting each other. Hopefully the main driving wheels are quartered correctly, that's the main thing with any steam locomotive. Looking at those wheels on pictures, not only the valve gear is replaced, but the wheels don't look like the standard Rivarossi issued.
I think the wheels are Romford, so they're excellent quality, I don't think the original owner skimped on getting good quality items for this kitbash.
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top