santafewillie
Same Ol' Buzzard
There have been some recent threads and a question in the Coffee Shop regarding ballasting of track. This is how I do HO scale ballasting. I'm not saying that this is the only way, or the best way; but it is what has worked well for me over the years. This should work for N scale as well. I use cork roadbed and Atlas code 100 flex track.
After getting the track in place, I test it for 2-3 months before ballasting. I weather it by using a rattle can of a light earth color and paint everything in 2' swaths. I immediately wipe off the top of the rail with a paper towel, as that reduces the cleaning required later. I also use Woodland Scenics medium gray ballast, light gray for main lines and gray blend for passing sidings in keeping with ATSF practices. I know that medium actually scales out a bit large, but it looks better to me than small. Before ballasting, I paint random ties with various shades of gray and brown paint to represent tie replacement.
The first step is to trim the strip from the shoulder of the roadbed. I always glue the roadbed so this strip is toward the aisle, thus making trimming easier.
I begin with pouring ballast from a small condiment cup (from take-out meals) down the center of the track.
I then use a 3/4" brush to even it out.
I don't mind if I leave a few stray pieces on top of a tie, as my field observation indicates that the real railroad is a bit messy as well.
Then I pour alongside the shoulder.
Again using the paintbrush, I move it into position.
When both sides are finished, I have something that looks like this.
Then I mist it with "wet water", a mixture of 60% water and 40% isopropyl alcohol. I don't always get the proportions exact but it doesn't seem to matter unless you are way off. This should be a thorough soaking.
At this point I dribble on the glue. I use an old Elmer's White Glue bottle with a mixture of 60% water, 40% White Glue and a few drops of Dawn dish detergent. It's important to use the stuff labeled White Glue and not the stuff labeled "School Glue" which is much more diluted.
Again I give it a good soaking. If the glue mixture is puddling up, then you didn't soak it enough with the IPA/water mixture.
Continued in the next post since there is a limit to attachments here.
After getting the track in place, I test it for 2-3 months before ballasting. I weather it by using a rattle can of a light earth color and paint everything in 2' swaths. I immediately wipe off the top of the rail with a paper towel, as that reduces the cleaning required later. I also use Woodland Scenics medium gray ballast, light gray for main lines and gray blend for passing sidings in keeping with ATSF practices. I know that medium actually scales out a bit large, but it looks better to me than small. Before ballasting, I paint random ties with various shades of gray and brown paint to represent tie replacement.
The first step is to trim the strip from the shoulder of the roadbed. I always glue the roadbed so this strip is toward the aisle, thus making trimming easier.
I begin with pouring ballast from a small condiment cup (from take-out meals) down the center of the track.
I then use a 3/4" brush to even it out.
I don't mind if I leave a few stray pieces on top of a tie, as my field observation indicates that the real railroad is a bit messy as well.
Then I pour alongside the shoulder.
Again using the paintbrush, I move it into position.
When both sides are finished, I have something that looks like this.
Then I mist it with "wet water", a mixture of 60% water and 40% isopropyl alcohol. I don't always get the proportions exact but it doesn't seem to matter unless you are way off. This should be a thorough soaking.
At this point I dribble on the glue. I use an old Elmer's White Glue bottle with a mixture of 60% water, 40% White Glue and a few drops of Dawn dish detergent. It's important to use the stuff labeled White Glue and not the stuff labeled "School Glue" which is much more diluted.
Again I give it a good soaking. If the glue mixture is puddling up, then you didn't soak it enough with the IPA/water mixture.
Continued in the next post since there is a limit to attachments here.
Last edited:
