ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I've got some house pix that might get some creative juices going here as well---lets see if'n this doesn't pick the ol' curiousity mode here--Some from a small town called Arkona ON. The second from the right is from just outside of the town--heavily weathered but apparently was still being used as storage---
The thing about this thread is that I've seen a lot of houses just thrown on to the layout as if they were last minute things----observe the layout and see whether you can't spruce the places up a tad---check these things out.
L-R: Thamesford ON--a lot of early homes were placed right by the roadways, These two from Woodstock ON are really beaten up looking, as are a few going down the hill in Woodstock ON. Meanwhile this little fellow is being cleaned up a tad---also Woodstock ON
There are a number of these places that catch the eye---
L-R: Verge boards brought out to the front here--Woodstock ON, This house came complete with its own carriage house Woodstock ON, This house had gargoyles keeping an eye on things-Mitchell ON
And to continue the theme of catching the eye---
L-R: Ailsa Craig ON and Hensall ON. These two old victorian homes are based on a bluff overlooking the Goderich saltmines and the Harbour of Goderich ON---
Houses
The first picture is my Howard Zane HO scale original Victorian house. The second is also an HO scale original house by Howard Zane that I have. The third picture is from a house plan company---I bought the blueprints for it in hopes of building an HO scale model of it.
A few more to add to the mess---these particular places are in Oakville ON.
BTW--Autistic savant---those are marvellous finds you came across---


A few more to whet the whistle with----the 2 on the left are from Oakville ON and the 2 on the right are from Woodstock ON--
You should take a drive to Paris and take some pics. Some nice old houses along the CN line out there.
I should go into my town someday & take pictures of the back of all the buildings. This town was built in 1906 & the electric wires look like tangled spaghetti running from the poles to the buildings. Not counting all the rusted fire escapes & boarded metal windows.
Yeah, gotta do that.(someday).
I want that Victorian stone house with the circular drive. What a beauty. Thanks for posting all the pictures, Barry.
You should take a drive to Paris and take some pics. Some nice old houses along the CN line out there.
You mean like these? Actually I have a mittfull of these in the film cases I have from way back--I just got to get them on a scanner and upload the lot--lol!!

Jim:Tnx for the compliment. That house is quite fascinating, sitting where it does---

Actually there are a few of these around that make some of us'uns go---wha--?
Such as---now, the one in the cliff side that is wedged in amongst the trees is interesting to this puppy----

Barry
Any back porch you can fish off of can't be all bad!!

Always a favorite of mine,,,,the house from Psycho!!!

And yes, the upstairs window is lit, and Mother Bates is watching!!!
Barry, I can't see the rest of the support structure for that house, but the one beam I can see looks awfully light for the load it supports.
Karl, what company made that kit? It seems to me it was Alexander? It's been so long ago that I really have no memory of the company's name. The only thing I remember is that trying to keep the whole thing square and true was a real B*tch.

Karl, what company made that kit? It seems to me it was Alexander? It's been so long ago that I really have no memory of the company's name. The only thing I remember is that trying to keep the whole thing square and true was a real B*tch.
Not Alexander (I have one of them too, unbuilt) The company was Polar Lights. They did a lot of retro-tv type models. The starship Enterprise, The Munsters house, the Monkeemobile, Lost in space "Jupiter2" and others. Out of bidness now, but the kits still pop up on Ebay from time to time. It was a very easy build, as the walls have interlocking tabs. Try one, you'le like it!

Thanks for posting the photos Barry, there are some great shots there and inspiration for doing some scratch building.
Dave
The first picture is my Howard Zane HO scale original Victorian house. The second is also an HO scale original house by Howard Zane that I have. The third picture is from a house plan company---I bought the blueprints for it in hopes of building an HO scale model of it.
Where did you get the blueprints from and how much did they cost? I love to get copies of drawings and blueprints when I can just in case I want to build something like it one day.
Dave
Where did you get the blueprints from and how much did they cost? I love to get copies of drawings and blueprints when I can just in case I want to build something like it one day.
Dave
i actually have a copy of some of the Sears and Roebuck catalogues from the 1915-1920 period that had the kit houses from that period---I'll have to scan some of the plans in and see how they will come up here. You could find out in the library whether there are any like them around--there were a whole slew of them at one time. Googlebooks may have some plans like them as well---
Barry, I can't see the rest of the support structure for that house, but the one beam I can see looks awfully light for the load it supports.
I seen the bottom was actually supported by 2 stout I beams sloped into the ground at an angle---we were coming up under the house on the expressway, hence the lousy shot
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)