Hello From Australia

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Glad to hear you're spreadin' the lingo Wombat, 'cause it's getting harder to hear it in it's homeland.
 
Hi Wombat, wow cant be to many Wombats in upstate NY, thanks for the welcome and nice to hear you still speak Aussie lol.

Nope not too many at all, reckon I'm bout the only one round here! :)

Glad to hear you're spreadin' the lingo Wombat, 'cause it's getting harder to hear it in it's homeland.

Haven't been back for almost 7 years so things have probably changed a bit. Even back then,trying to find a fair dinkum Aussie was getting harder, especially in Melbourne and Sydney. My last 5 or so years in Oz was in Darwin and all we had up there were tourists and that other mob I can't bring myself to mention !

As for spreadin' the lingo here, kinda like beatin' your head against a brick wall - you just funny looks or the standard ... you lot are backwards comments :) All good fun but :)

Cheers mate,

wombat457
 
Things have changed a lot over here, I think the Aussie slang that Slim Dusty and John Williamson used to sing about is now regarded as being backward, we live in a yuppee society where it is more fashionable to be seen drinking coffee, sitting in a restaurant or riding a racing bike in a large group dressed in lycra and having your legs waxed, driving a European car is all the go these days, Holden and Ford will all be gone by 2017, long gone are the days when we called our mates Cobber or Blue.
 


Things have changed a lot over here, I think the Aussie slang that Slim Dusty and John Williamson used to sing about is now regarded as being backward, we live in a yuppee society where it is more fashionable to be seen drinking coffee, sitting in a restaurant or riding a racing bike in a large group dressed in lycra and having your legs waxed, driving a European car is all the go these days, Holden and Ford will all be gone by 2017, long gone are the days when we called our mates Cobber or Blue.

It's all about perceptions rather than reality. The days when a person was taken for who they were are, I think, gone so it doesn't surprise me to read what you have said; although, it disappoints me that Australians would prefer to live what could be regarded as a European than an Aussie.

The same can be said for here as well, at least in the cities and metropolitan areas. I live in the country, so it isn't as bad. Country people are still country people, but you still do see it to a lesser extent. The younger generation out running with cell phones stuck to their ears, for example. Times are changing, and not for the better.

I cringe every time I see or hear "Dude"

I know what you mean, that and "bro". I'm no ones dude or bro, and never will be.

Fortunately though, there are some who still believe in good old fashioned values. I really do believe that the Model Railway community (along with other such communities) are amongst those people. Take a look at the majority of layouts, for example. Most are replications of by gone era's, hence by gone values and standards. This is one place, and one hobby, that lets us get back to reality, albeit in miniature :)

Cheers guys,

wombat457
 
G'day Dave...From another Aussie....I'm on the east coast of Tasmania in a little former railway town , St Marys....THIS IS THE FORUM...just brilliant..Us Taswegians have used a fair bit of QR stuff over the years , so I feel a kindred spirit there somewhere....I'm building a new layout based on my favourite American company BNSF...intermodal , double stack etc in HO....These fella's and girls will be a source of inspiration and much help..and you'll be able to also send forward your own help and input..Great to see more aussies joining..Cheers Rod..
 
Hi Rod thanks for the welcome Tasmania hey it must be great living in paradise, OK on the BNSF a great railroad that always seems to be modelled well, yes QR certainly sent quite a few locos down your way, since many of the coal tracks are now electrified I guess they had a few spares they wanted to sell.

I am one of those strange people that think well and truly outside the square, after doing some web investigation and discovering the Arches National Park in Utah and the Valley of Fire in Nevada I was taken back by the magnificent scenery and colors, thanks to Google Images I was able to get a few ideas.

I finished up choosing similar type scenery for my layout, included an imaginary heritage railroad with locos from UP & D&RGW to tour the scenics in coaches and gondolas, still lots of work to be done but I am enjoying the theme and fun of doing something a little unusual, totally differnt from my old British layout.
 
G'day again Dave....and thanks Toot for those awesome picture I missed before...They're great...I buy most of my online stuff from two different outlets in Bundaberg/Wide Bay in Queensland....Little Caboose and Bonzy 69 Trains...top dealers both for different reasons....I chose to model American because of the great variety in HO , tons of options and the chance to enjoy a diverse range of modelling.. and at the time our own Aussie DCC stuff was super expensive to buy and a fairly limited range , requiring lots of kitbashing for structures especially...Haven't regretted it , but one day I'd like to try and do a BHP Billiton or Pilbara Rail or Rio Tinto layout in the desert...That'd be awesome fun and not involving lots of buildings necessarily...In the meantime I want to have my BNSF intermodal layout well on the way this year...Many of the QR locos are being pensioned off right now , replaced with brand new 3.5 million dollars each EMD U.S. built PL22 locos..Seventeen of them...They're test running them now...as you'd see on You Tube...along with the newer QR locos...TasRail is re inventing itself after years of decline...but a strong link between Tasrail and QR..will remain I believe..Cheers again Rod..
 
Have you got a link to those PL22's, search doesn't seem to locate them. Hope they're better looking than some of the newer offerings, pretty boring and featureless
images6_zpseef0d8df.png


The ones like these are the only ones I like so far.
images4_zps655e65fb.png

imagesMMCOP1NJ_zps29317fc1.png
 
G'day Toot.....Just type in Tasmania TasRail TR locomotives testing South Line and add 10/1/2014 , 12/1/2014 or 25/1/2014 and that'll provide the info to bring them up.
There's a few there actually...also is some former QR locos like your picture , still being used with TasRail colours...they are a nice loco...The new ones will take a bit of getting used to..They've bought 17 of them , and 190 new rolling stock..and spent 220 million dollars on track upgrades..Cheers Rod..
 


A video taken at Fishermans Island (Port of Brisbane) of a coalie headed by a QRN 2300 Class, this one was taken about 2 years ago, turn the volume up.

http://v8.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=dq3w1t&s=8">
 
I like to watch the coal trains when I am waiting for a train at Corparoo station. I find the way the hoppers jump after going across the level crossing to be distrubing.
 
I like to watch the coal trains when I am waiting for a train at Corparoo station. I find the way the hoppers jump after going across the level crossing to be distrubing.

Disconcerting isn't it. There was a joint in the track on the crossing not far from my place that moved up and down as the cars rolled over it, meaning there was a loud bang from the wheels each time. I noticed in those Tassy vids there were 2 of the container flats had a wheel with a flat spot.
 
G'day Toot and Old Tank and all...Hey Toot ...a legend mate...Thanks for the links...both are fabulous..It's awesome...I'ts good to know that some-one does some really decent Aussie stuff...A couple of other manufacturers but a bit limited and pricey to even consider...Louis Bruette , a great contributor to the forum , checked out the videos on the new PL22s...EMD Built....He doesn't mind the 'cab over' style..Tasmania's old X Class from the early 50s and the Y class variant were like this..sort of ..and the first ZA Class ex QR locos in the early 1970s were the first hood front ones we had...They have been pretty darn good but the PL22s will supposedly do the same with two , that the old girls needed 3 or 4 lash ups...given Tassie's severe gradients , just like the South Line you rightly mention...The neweys have another 15 to arrive from the USA yet..and the first two of the 'advance party' TR04 and TR01...in the vids are used for load testing..clearance testing , lash up , MPU stuff with the other Tasrail locos etc..as one video shows..suppose incase they need to tweak the other 15 new locos before they're sent...At 3 million bucks each , you don't want to have to modify too much later.. Cheers again Rod..
 
G'day Toot...OT........Just on the Tasrail vids....forgot to mention....look for one that goes for 7.34...it's listed as New TR locomotives shunting...Will give you a better idea of what TasRail as it re invents itself is hanging a lot on....The new Brighton Rail Hub...that's going to be the main arm of its southern Tasmania operations out of Hobart...
Has a long way to go but the market expectations are ahead of schedule and new contracts are being sold all the time...ABOUT TIME..if ever a state needs an efficient rail service to keep the massive B Double trucks off roads never designed to take them it's us...In that video you'll see a dear old Y Class..in the yard...she's an oldie... Also look out when you get a chance for a vid shot by Lee Dixon , on the North west Coast...featuring a five lash up mostly former QR locos called Three Sisters..I think...Pretty good to watch...Cheers Rod..
 
Great video, Oldtank. Thanks for sharing a glimpse into the world of Aussie railroading. Some very cool locomotives and rolling stock.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top