Hello From Australia

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


oldtank

Member
Hi There, my name is Dave I live in Queensland Australia, Married, Retired Photographer and keen Railroad enthusiast, I have built several layouts in N, OO and HO Scale, these include British, Japanese, Aussie, American N and now American HO.

I am currently building a small 10ft x 3ft6in layout in a garden shed, the theme is a fictitious heritage railroad situated in scenery similar to that found in parts of Utah, Nevada and New Mexico I have a great love of the magnificent red mountainous landscapes that the US has to offer, thanks to Google images I am able to get the information I need on these stunning locations, I have just started buying locos and rolling stock and chose D&RGW and UP equipmet for the layout, I guess you could say I am a small time operator with a big heart.

I hope to become an active forum member and learn more about American Railroads and Models.

Cheers
Dave.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Dave, welcome to the best MRR forum there is, particularly of course for US, but there are also many on here from all over the world, modelling all sorts of prototypes.

Where are you in Qld, as you can see I'm in Caboolture, I go to both the AMRA club at Zillmere and have recently joined the RMCQ at Brendale. You're now part of the Aussie invasion, you'll find a good number of us here.
 


Welcome to the Forums, Dave. As noted, this is the friendliest site on the web for model railroading. There's a lot of great folks here and we like pictures of any railroad related item. Enjoy your time here and don't be a stranger.
 
Hey from Baltimore, Maryland, USA!

Baltimore is about 35 miles northeast of Washington DC on the Chesapeake Bay not far from the Atlantic ocean.

Welcome to the forum and have fun with your trains!
 
G'day Dave and welcome!
I think Toots is right, we're slowly being assimilated!
(why do I suddenly have a craving for a lamington?)
 
Welcome aboard Dave. I have always wanted to visit Australia. I don't know why. But I always figured it would be a cool place to go.

Here in Indiana we don't have much for scenery, so I too plan to model the Western US, particularly Colorado. I haven't been to Utah, New Mexico, or Arizona. Maybe some day. But I have to tell ya, seeing the area in person, as opposed to Google Maps is a world of difference. It literally takes your breath away. So if you manage to reproduce that on a layout I wanna see so I can copy ;)
 
Welcome aboard Dave. I have always wanted to visit Australia. I don't know why. But I always figured it would be a cool place to go.

Here in Indiana we don't have much for scenery, so I too plan to model the Western US, particularly Colorado. I haven't been to Utah, New Mexico, or Arizona. Maybe some day. But I have to tell ya, seeing the area in person, as opposed to Google Maps is a world of difference. It literally takes your breath away. So if you manage to reproduce that on a layout I wanna see so I can copy ;)


Hi there Kevin and thanks for the reply, I have a feeling it is going to be impossible for me to reproduce the colors of those States, I have a feeling many of the photos taken of those areas were taken on sunset, the same view taken around midday produces a different color plus the fact that like film digital cameras have a tendancy of producing colors different from brand to brand.

I will be happy if I can get the feel for the region I have in mind, sadly I am not in a position to travel to the USA, you would like to visit Australia and I want to visit Cresson Pennsyvania, maybe we can both get our wish someday..
 
Thank you everyone for the replies and the warm welcome it is most appreciated, a big wave to my fellow Aussies, I guess when it comes to trains we can be found everywhere.

Its always very interesting to read replies from other folks that divulge their location, I enjoy geography and get a kick out of reading the place names.

tootnkumin

I live on the South Side at Wellington Point, like the rest of Redlands I guess the red dirt runs in my blood that is why I am hooked on the same colour in the USA.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


The thing I noticed about Colorado when I was there was the colors didn't stay the same. Heck in Garden of the Gods alone I think I saw more types and colors of rock than I have seen in the entire State of Indiana. From light browns to deep dark reds. I don't think you could go wrong anywhere in between. The Royal Gorge is very red. You can look up that on Google and see lots of beautiful pictures. This is my favorite, but I think the color is a little dry...
http://campermama.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/royal-gorge-017.jpg
 
The thing I noticed about Colorado when I was there was the colors didn't stay the same. Heck in Garden of the Gods alone I think I saw more types and colors of rock than I have seen in the entire State of Indiana. From light browns to deep dark reds. I don't think you could go wrong anywhere in between. The Royal Gorge is very red. You can look up that on Google and see lots of beautiful pictures. This is my favorite, but I think the color is a little dry...
http://campermama.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/royal-gorge-017.jpg


Thanks for that Kevin, yes we have the same here in Oz, Ayers Rock (Ularu) changes color throughout the day, thanks for the link to Royal Gorge, I have several railroad DVDs which include a trip through the Gorge, I find the rugged beauty of America absolutely stunning and enjoy the many layouts that I have seen in Video and Magazines, that of course includes Colorado.

Cheers
Dave.
 
Here's a pic I took at the Gold Coast Club last W/end of a rock face on their On30 layout. They used a spray gun, didn't say it was an airbrush so I'm guessing more like an auto paint touch-up gun to blend the colors (you'll have to excuse the lack of a "U" in colors, 'cause when in Rome etc, etc)

GCMRClubandclouds033_zpsb0734837.png
 
Haha toot. I use gage instead of gauge when referring to a tool. If I am referring to the dial of a pressure valve I spell it gauge for some reason. I think we should all use the British version of the words. But I think I should have been born British. Top Gear UK is my favorite show.
 
Classy looking cliffs and colours there Toot, I usually use Acrylics for scenery but have to say the spray job looks great, thanks for the reply.
 
Welcome to the Forums Mate, expat Aussie living in Up State New York (sigh). As has been said already, lots of knowledgeable helpful people here and that layout looks great too!

PS: I still speak Aussie cos I'm not in Rome :)

Cheers,

wombat457
 
Hi Toot, more great pictures of the GC layout, I hope to get down to the exhibition this year so I can see the layout live, thanks for the pictures.
 


Welcome to the Forums Mate, expat Aussie living in Up State New York (sigh). As has been said already, lots of knowledgeable helpful people here and that layout looks great too!

PS: I still speak Aussie cos I'm not in Rome :)

Cheers,

wombat457


Hi Wombat, wow cant be to many Wombats in upstate NY, thanks for the welcome and nice to hear you still speak Aussie lol.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top