mrconductor55
New Member
Hey guys,
I'm planning a new layout right now, featuring a detailed Proto 2000 SW9, serving a handful of industries in an industrial district in Chicago. The real life line features a steep climb to the BNSF main. I'm thinking of doing the grade in 2-3%. I want to be able to run 15-20 cars up the hill, something that the real line does in real life on busier days. Problem is, a single end cab switcher isn't going to cut it, maybe two, but one, no way. It would sure look cool though.
So I've been thinking about it, then I came across a few articles on it. A hidden drive mechanism, hidden inside of a boxcar. It seems to have been done in N scale, for steamers that can barely pull their own weight. There is even a kit for it. But how about H0 Scale?
http://modeltrains.about.com/od/glossary/g/ghost_car.htm
http://modeltrains.about.com/gi/dyn...0&bts=0&zu=http://www.randgust.com/prod04.htm
This is the only thing I can find on it, I'm sure its been talked about before. With that thing well ballasted, I could pull some unreal loads up that hill. Plus I could drop cars on a grade without them rolling down.
Thoughts?
Comments?
Frank
I'm planning a new layout right now, featuring a detailed Proto 2000 SW9, serving a handful of industries in an industrial district in Chicago. The real life line features a steep climb to the BNSF main. I'm thinking of doing the grade in 2-3%. I want to be able to run 15-20 cars up the hill, something that the real line does in real life on busier days. Problem is, a single end cab switcher isn't going to cut it, maybe two, but one, no way. It would sure look cool though.
So I've been thinking about it, then I came across a few articles on it. A hidden drive mechanism, hidden inside of a boxcar. It seems to have been done in N scale, for steamers that can barely pull their own weight. There is even a kit for it. But how about H0 Scale?
http://modeltrains.about.com/od/glossary/g/ghost_car.htm
http://modeltrains.about.com/gi/dyn...0&bts=0&zu=http://www.randgust.com/prod04.htm
This is the only thing I can find on it, I'm sure its been talked about before. With that thing well ballasted, I could pull some unreal loads up that hill. Plus I could drop cars on a grade without them rolling down.
Thoughts?
Comments?
Frank
