Graffiti decals?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


train

New Member
I'm looking to weather a loco like this one. It's a up sd40-2 snoot. I'm just wondering on how I should go about doing the graffiti job on this loco. All recommendations are welcome!
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 319
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 317
Have some kid that is a good Artist to do it w/Magic Markers. I did about 35 boxcars when I had my layout w/grafitti on both sides. Did all of them w/fine point & medium point markers & then used Flat Matte w/a brush to seal them up. You can use all different colors. Get a large set at Walmart for about 10 bucks.
 
You can also buy Graf. decals at your local hobby shop for trains. I made some of my own on Decal paper on my computer, but, you can't print white letters unless you make them on a dark background. The magic markers look a lot better.
 


That graffiti has been painted over. So it shouldn't be too hard to mimic. Just do as mentioned and get some markers and try to put down what looks close to the graffiti then cover it back up with the wrong color yellow. Piece of cake.
 
if your going to take a stab at the graffiti, be sure you get paint markers. regular ink markers will not give you the opacity you would need to replicate graffiti on plastic.
 
If you have an airbrush I did these with a .02mm nozzle. Didn't do these yet but a very thin white wash really gives them a faded look.IMG_20131121_235309.jpgIMG_20131121_235309.jpg1385440342123.jpg1385440342123.jpg1385440342123.jpg
 


I don't think I will be adding graffiti to any of my stuff either. But I will say this... there are some kids out there with some MAJOR talent. I watch some of these trains go by and I am so amazed at what some of these kids can come up with using a rattle can. Some of the stuff I see makes me wish I could meet the individual that sprayed it and shake their hand. I completely understand why some of them do it. Their artwork is seen by thousands of people. I guess some people view it differently. But it is what it is. I for one don't look down on it. But on the other hand, I understand why some people do.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top