future floor wax for water?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Since you posted the same link twice, I think you are probably quite right! :)
Ah - I see you changed the second on as I posted
 
Last edited by a moderator:


cowboy--please update after testing, i am about to try my first water scene and would love to spend $5 instead of $20 for magic water...
 
I tried it over a painted bottom then adding a little paint on top. Thicker (deeper) parts remained cloudy for a Looooooong time. Later they cracked. Sort of looking like broken ice sheets if you want to try that effect. So my advice is don't try too deep!
 
@Jeff: Assuming that you have tried this method? Does the wax pretty much just soak into the scenery on the first couple pours? I poured it into my lake, pretty deep, and the next thing I know it is all gone!!! My lake (small pond actually ;) ) is about 1/16" - 1/8" deep. I am guessing that the advice to paint it on first seals it in there before the big pour? Did I do terrible damage to my pond???
 
If have NOT tried this method, although I was planning to do it. My layout is not quite ready for water.

The instructions to which I linked specify that you should cover the lakebed or riverbed with hydrocal, let it dry overnight, then paint the hydrocal, and let the paint dry overnight. Only then should you pour the Future.

Did you do all of that and still find the floor wax soaked into the scenery? If so, I will have to reconsider my plans to try this method.

Water products will find the smallest hole and leak away into your scenery or even completely through your layout and onto the floor. You must completely seal the bed of your water feature.

If you did that and your "water" still disappeared, I can't explain it!

- Jeff
 


i sealed mine with plaster, and plaster cloth. i painted the river bed, then i poured in the future floor wax. i did it in 1/16 to 1/8 inch layers. dosnt look bad, but i do not have a camera to take pictures.
 
Wright: I did exactly what you did, plaster w/ plaster cloth. Painted w/ acrylic paints... The floor wax soaked into the surrounding scenery, up and out of the pond onto the rest of the layout... it was weird :confused: No water stayed in, not even a little. I can't figure it out it isnt going out the bottom I dont think... I poured three coats now I'm hoping that if I keep pouring eventually it will seal :(
 
Enviro-tex Lite

We have had good results using Enviro-tex lite. It's not as cheap as Future. This creek was 3 or 4 pours. No problem with leaking through small holes. We use a clear ketchup bottle to pour (Easier to direct). The first layer poured was just enough to kind of outline the creek. After each pour we use a small butane torch until the bubbles clear out. Each layer was allowed to dry for a week.
 
well, that wasn't exactly how I'm going to do it. experimenting with it right now!

You asked if anyone got it figured out...... ;)
It is not as easily poured as Envirotex or similar resins.....
That's why I made my water as I did. See also Troels Kirks thread on the RR-line forum about his On30 Coast line RR. His water is very good looking as well.
 
Has anyone tried mod-podge with windshield wash? Ive heard of this being done and even seen pictures of it, looked really good to me.

Im in the same boat as you guys as im almost ready to pour my river and pond area.

Purchased realistic water but im having second thoughts about using it.
 
I've been working with Future in test pours. I'm going to say it's REALLY watery. Be prepared to pour and stop QUICK.
So far really pleased with it, and a little suspicious that Woodland Scenics is buying it in bulk and pouring it into their "realistic water" bottles.

I'm going to experiment soon with adding acrylic paint to color it.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top