Flo's Place (a.k.a. Coffee Shop #19)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Hi all, I just talked to Flo and she handed me the keys to this truck and asked to haul this load over here! She said she'd leave some time for everybody to gather their stuff from the old place first.

Until somebody brings a some chairs in here, I guess we'll all have to sit on the floor indian-style...:D
 


Kind of an interesting sort of interior in this place I'd say---:)

Had a good day yesterday, got a lot of stuff done at the seminar and so I did not get home 'till late---:eek:;) Now I'll be doing some trestle building and getting headbutted by 'Spring' in the process:)

Chris The Volare that we had was something along the line of your I CAN'T SEE vehicle. There was a certain "incident" wherein a rear axle slipped out of the sleeve just long enough to cause a bit of consternation on the highway:eek:--we had a few cars with people pointing rather alarmed towards the rear of the car---rear wheel kept going in/out.:eek: We also skid plated the 'thing'--another one of its names---as we used it to go on back roads and alleys---sometimes at speeds it was not good to go on those roads:rolleyes:---

CULTR---:)
 
Prepared for real model railroading space yesterday by clearing up a messy room; only that one of the walls to the model railroad room was leaked. :eek::mad:

Will get someone to fix it, someday....:cool:
 
Morning gang!
Wow Flo, nice new digs! Good thing the movers brought the chairs too. I dont want Jeffrey to be doin haircuts on me!:eek:
Ahhh, new waitresses too? Wow! I'll have whatever she's having!!:D:rolleyes:
 
Hi everyone! Flo, you just need to build a bigger place and quit all this moving around.

New waitress?? WOW! (or is that Chris making some extra $$ ?)

We finally have my Mother (at near 94) agreeing with going to “assisted care living”. We took her over to where Carolyn works and showed her the private room she will have and all the conveniences and care she has access to. The keys to all this are privacy, having her own personal effects, and reasonable independence. It will be perfect for her and most of all provide the medical umbrella she may need at any time.

Well, Bama didn't have to play water polo after all. It stopped raining just as they entered the field...nice, huh!:rolleyes::D

Hi Notch and Steam! Sorry I didn't get to shake your hand yesterday, but had to get on with weekend football (my recliner sure wears me out :D )

Think I will go out to the Depot and see what to mess up. CU all later!
 
Andy: Worse plane ride with children.
I was flying from New Orleans to Birmingham, Alabama when the plane quickly starting lowering altitude and the seatbelt sign came on. The pilot said we were losing pressurization and must return to the N.O. after dumping fuel. A couple of "Smart A**" Navy guys started making a few comments on crashing and then, at the top of their lung capacity, a couple of little kids started screaming, "Mommy! Mommy! I don't want to die." Oh my! That really set everyone on edge, with a few women starting to cry. Me? Well, let's say I started thinking very religiously.;):D
 
Well, I'd better post here so's I can get the email notifications.

Been a dreary day here in the Hoosier state. Looks like it wants to rain. If'n it can hold off for a couple of hours, I'll finish painting the exterior door. That'll keep the better half appeased for a little while at least.

I am planning on putting decals on my PRR F3A today. I bought an F3B by mistake on eBay and had no A unit. Got an undecorated one on the "bay", painted it and now it needs decals. Then a coat of Dullcoat and a touch of weathering and another coat. Then to the shelf until I can get a Sunami with sound for both units.

I am hoping to FINALLY get started on my budget layout this week. Remember the one that has a budget of $250? The weather looks promising.....rain, rain rain. That puts a damper on my "honey-do-it-or-else" projects. And I don't like to go boating in the rain, though I've heard that fish like water and it doesn't matter to them at all. Boating season is getting closer to the Omega and the days seem to be numbered. That's OK when boating reaches the end, the train days are at their Alpha. I may go floating in spite of the weather, at least a couple of times. But, I dread teh 6-hour drive to the boat, And then there's the drive back.

I just spent a small ransom getting some preventive maintenance done on the Carver. I need to see if all is well for next season. I plan on pulling her out of the water in about 6-8 weeks if the temperatures don't dictate I do it sooner. Of course, I'll winterize the boat then.

Well, better start paintin', the better half is beginning to do that pacin' thing.

Bob
 


Hi Flo.....yup, coffee with.....thanks

I found my way in here today.....it wasn't like I was too attached to the old place....

nice view.....and the place looks good too.

there was frost in the notch this morning around sun up.....started the pellet stove to take off the chill......replaced the filters in the furnace.....new batteries in the smoke alarm.....you know, normal fall maintenance. might have to mow the lawn one more time this year.....we'll see.

Pats meet the Jets later today.....i'll pop a beverage and a sandwich.....and watch the Jets loose.

I walked the tracks yesterday near Lake Paran...pretty there....took some shots to add to my Omya collection. Have a look i f you want....

http://picasaweb.google.com/ihccab/NorthBenningtonVermontRailStation#

thanks for the coffee Flo.

....see ya later.....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the Plastruct water tower I'm working on. What's a steam era water tank doing on a diesel era layout? It's the water supply for the fire dept and the diesel maintenance shop. 100,000 gallons can go a long way for fighting fires.

P9200192.jpg
 
Hey Notch nice Jets lose. I don't usually watch pro football but today I did for some unknown reason. The wood shop was calling me to work on the utility room cabinets I have started for both daughters and my wife but my lead butt could not get out of the recliner. Oh well there is always tomorrow or the day after that.
 
Hi Flo, coffee with....thanks

Hey leghome, it's a sorry day when the Pats loose to the bottom of the barrel....oh well.....I guess New England is gonna have one of those rare bad years....

gotta run, Flo.....thanks for the coffee.

....see ya later.....
 
Hi all,

Summer was officially over at my house yesterday when I closed down the swimming pool. I'd gotten quite used to hearing the whine of the filter pump motor. It just occurred to me, that thing is closed twice as long as it's active - seems kinda wasteful. Oh well, it keeps the wife happy. I was hoping today would be laidback and restful, but ol' Murphy had other ideas: my kitchen sink faucet sprung a leak, so I had to spend a few hours fixing it. At least I accomplished the mission with only one trip to the hardware store!

Bob - for some reason I thought your boat was already out of the water?

Notch - nice Vermont Rail pix you posted. New England sure has a lot of pretty stations, wish they were all still active as they were in the '50s.

Rex - I think those Navy jerks were more to blame for that unpleasant flight than the kids. Seems similar to yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Summer was officially over at my house yesterday when I closed down the swimming pool. I'd gotten quite used to hearing the whine of the filter pump motor. ..

Shucks Ken, you shoulda heard it whining at the last ANPL party we had at your place when you went on vacation. I don't know what was worse. Extracting Chris's trunks from the motor, or the sight of him streaking toward the house!:eek: nekkind! :eek:
I hope the needlenosed pliers we found in the workbench didn't rust up too bad!!:rolleyes::D
 
ken, it was "on the hard" for repairs this past week.

I have three, yes three, other boats also. I have a 1956 Chris-Craft Turtleback that belonged to my Grandfather that I bought a while back after finding it at a marine repair shop in Fort Wayne, Indiana, a 1985 Marathon 2100 Weekender(a small cabin cruiser) that is undergoing repairs, cleaning and updating, and I have the very first boat I ever bought, a 1963 14-foot aluminum Lone Star with a 1957 5.5 Evinrude.

The "other" boat, the one that I am speaking of, is a 1990 32-foot Carver 3201 Aft Cabin. It is the "queen" of my "fleet". It is also the only boat I would trust on BIG water, though I do think the Marathon could handle most of what I would use it for on Lake Huron. But, with only a 35-gallon fuel tank, my jaunts would be limited. The Carver was having one of the transmissions gone through and rebuilt as preventative maintenance. The other one went down this summer, and was rebuilt. If one fails, the other can't be too far behind. It's the first major thing done to them. The boat being almost 20 years old now, it just seemed like it was time.

Hopefully, when the Marathon get finished, it will be totally updated and look new, including a new paint job. The price was right(free) but it had some not so meticulous owners and had fallen into a bit of a mess. But, I've got 'er cleaned up, and the refit is almost done. I need to finish it up for launching next spring. It's been a year and a half on the "hard" and I've probably spent more than it is worth, but it is a well built craft and should fair very well for the Inland Waterway in Northern Michigan. I was hoping to use it as my "travel" boat. Towing it to smaller lakes and reservoirs. But, with the move to the Northlands, I will use it on Burt and Mullet Lakes as well as short trips on Lake Huron.

It has adequate sleeping for 4, a stove, a head(porta-potti), a hand held shower and water heater, a 'fridge, and all of the electronics(including RADAR), planer board masts(for trolling for 'dem ol' walleyes). Should be a good boat if'n I ever get it done. Overnighting on the boat would be a good thing, though I wouldn't spend much more than a couple of days as the potty might develop an odor.

Now , the Carver I have spent weeks aboard. This summer I spent 34 days on board without coming ashore, not even for beer. Just sent the better half to the store to stock up when we were dockside, while I filled up the boat with gas. Took me a while to get my land legs back, though, after leaving the boat. Everything felt like it was "rocking". Even the dogs walked a little "funny" until the ground quit "moving". We actually have the dogs "box trained" while on the boat. They have their own little deal in which to relieve themselves.

Here's some pics of he boats. The Chissy is first, then the Carver, followed by the Marathon.

19-capri-2g-003-9in.jpg


Carver.jpg


P5080080.jpg


One of my other "toys":

3cf3_12.jpg


The picture of the Marathon is an old one, before anything was done. In fact it was the day I brought her home. The trailer still needs updating and paint. Hard to do that with the boat sitting on it. I have new tires and wheels in the garage and the rollers need replacing. Got all of the parts, but I gotta get the boat done and launched before that project gets done. Also adding an electric winch, toolbox, and some other "nifty" updates like lights and such.

Not a train layout but it's my "summer thing".

The Carver also looks a bit different than the picture. I have made some changes, like adding the RADAR arch, added a SATCOM antenna(looks like a 16" diameter upside down bowl, and the TV antenna is no more. I also installed different "bumper hangers".
 
Bob
Where do I sign up to be a "swabby" on next summers cruise??:confused: My sister used to live in Bay City, and had a 19 ft pontoon boat that was a great fishing platform, and also did many cruises up and down the Huron River. We also to short trips by day out into Lake Huron. I really do miss those Michigan summers.....quite mild...especially when you consider what I am used to here in MD.
Now she lives on the coast of NC, and has other 2 boats. A 24 ft Searay and a 28 ft center console, I forget the brand. NC is nice, but I still like the lakes better than the open ocean. Besides, when was the last time a Michigan summer got ruined by a hurricaine??
 


Bob, I see you've kept the forward area of the Carver clear, is that so you can mount a deck gun, in case the US and Canada go to war?:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top