Hey all,
Below you will find my first attempt at designing a layout. It is
HO scale and I plan on using Atlas Code 83 n/s flextrack and radiussed sections from 18-22".
I was thinking about getting a trainset kit at first and then expand the set to what you
see in the layout (or something like it that will work)! The train will be a modest freight set to start. I
would like to add a few different engines later, including a nice small steamer along with some
other cars (log car, ore car, etc...) but essentially just a small set with ~8 pieces. My son loves steam trains!
The era would be modern and based on a small wilderness town based on natural resources.
I think I have done enough research to at least make the first attempt at designing a layout
that I could learn and experiment along the way with.
I have plenty of experience with model making, woodworking and carpentry but this is my first
attempt at the train hobby world. I would go with basic DC for now, but I do have several joins
and switches in the layout. Switching could be manual, but I would like to wire them.
I would be very appreciative if some of you folks could critique my design.
Firstly, does the layout make sense or are there some things that make you cringe! ? ol
I have several junctions in there, a couple of which are on sloped areas...avoid this? possibly ok?
What power is sufficient for a layout like this?
Please recommend a good starter kit that I can expand with to get to this stage in the future.
I think that's enough questions for now, help me get started in the right direction!
Thanks!
Barry
Below you will find my first attempt at designing a layout. It is
HO scale and I plan on using Atlas Code 83 n/s flextrack and radiussed sections from 18-22".
I was thinking about getting a trainset kit at first and then expand the set to what you
see in the layout (or something like it that will work)! The train will be a modest freight set to start. I
would like to add a few different engines later, including a nice small steamer along with some
other cars (log car, ore car, etc...) but essentially just a small set with ~8 pieces. My son loves steam trains!
The era would be modern and based on a small wilderness town based on natural resources.
I think I have done enough research to at least make the first attempt at designing a layout
that I could learn and experiment along the way with.
I have plenty of experience with model making, woodworking and carpentry but this is my first
attempt at the train hobby world. I would go with basic DC for now, but I do have several joins
and switches in the layout. Switching could be manual, but I would like to wire them.
I would be very appreciative if some of you folks could critique my design.
Firstly, does the layout make sense or are there some things that make you cringe! ? ol
I have several junctions in there, a couple of which are on sloped areas...avoid this? possibly ok?
What power is sufficient for a layout like this?
Please recommend a good starter kit that I can expand with to get to this stage in the future.
I think that's enough questions for now, help me get started in the right direction!
Thanks!
Barry
