Diesel ditch lights

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


When I say golden white, not like the ones on Kato's locomotives, I mean like the ones you buy at Radioshack or something, my friend did that to his BN E8 and they are YELLOW!
 
Boy, I'm glad my cutoff date is 1979, I don't have to worry about ditch lights and freds. I can run cabooses (cabeeses?) and not have a horse (NS) in the place.
 


zgardner, which ditchlight castings did you use? bulbs/wiring? i've thought about picking up the athearn sd70 ditch lights.
 
zgardner, which ditchlight castings did you use? bulbs/wiring? i've thought about picking up the athearn sd70 ditch lights.

Check out my post on the first page. It will tell you everything. I even thought about picking up the Athearn Genesis' SD70 lights. Let me know how much Athearn wants for them.
 
the athearn ones are like $4 for a set of bulbs and the wiring. but im not sure if there are any ditch light housings included.
 
Hi guys, It's my first post and I wanna some advice from people with experience on illuminating ditch lights.

I've just installed Detail West ditch lights on three of my locomotives ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/24071925@N04/3522494838/sizes/o/ ). I drilled them to use smd leds that I bought on ebay, but now I have some doubts, like where should I drill holes (pilot?). I wanna hide the wires as much as possible, to get a better look.

Thanks,
Daniel
 
Some units I have done ditchlights on.

DSC06385.png


SD26DitchlightsP.png


SD26DitchlightsV.png


DSC02094.png


DSC02100.png


DSC02039.png
 


Here is a look at one of mine. All engines on my layout are required to have some form of safety lighting, either strobes or ditch lights. My ditch lights are always on and alternate when the horn is pressed.
th_100_3681.jpg
 
I've seen them, and I don't see any that would fit my application (mounted on pilot under anticlimner)

Also, the pre-drilled items are not in their catalog.
 
Oh, I'm sorry, their catalog is outdated! I had seen some OMI ones here in Brazil and they were predrilled too. Maybe they are useful to you...
 
Nice! They already come with SMD LEDS? If not, you can find them on ebay from elebcz seller. I'll post some pics so you can see how it looks...

Daniel
 
you can get SMDs on ebay or any online store. Osram makes round ones that will fit into ditch light housings.
 


Here is the photo with all lights turned on. I only wrote about ebay to share my experience and to save our time researching the correct smd leds (in my opinion).

3685232519_c432faaaf8.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top