Come on in to Coffee Shop 21

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Better half went to the store to stock up for the storm, starter went out of the car. I had just replaced the battery, thinking that was the problem as two cells tested bad and two were weak. We've been having to put the battery on a charger over night for the past couple of days. I though it was the cold weather. Guess not.

Hopefully, it's not too big of a job. I had an 1964 Oldsmobile that was a bear to change the starter. I had a set of headers on the car and made it almost impossible to change starters without "twisting" the engine. Loosened up the engine mounts on one side and lifted that side up.
Bob
Bob, what kind of car is it? If it's an Aurora or Northstar Cadillac, you might as well shoot yourself now. It's under the intake manifold of those cars.
 
WVMM: Hey just wondering.......What brand is you HK416 and what up grades have you done? Due to our groups $200 aeg limit...I'm leaving Echo/JG and A&K and going to G&G Sportline m4 if I got any cash left!

Mine's an Echo 1. It shoots hot and hard right out of box. Highest was 422. It's literally banned at fields in Georgia for being too hot.
 


Mine's an Echo 1. It shoots hot and hard right out of box. Highest was 422. It's literally banned at fields in Georgia for being too hot.

My ECHO MP5 was the same way! With the FPS being it was so high my gun really needed a better Tight bore barrel, after 150' the .25 BB went in orbit:D:D Needless to say the Internals were needing to be replaced and I broke the upper reciever in two places...It would cost me in parts to upgrade the pistons,spring,spring guide,Tapet, metal bushings, Tight Bore Barrel and the dang seletor switch and order a new upper reciever...$160.00:eek: a new G&G MP5 totally hopped up $170.00? I'm going to get the new gun http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ER-GG-CM-M16-CA.htm and add a 130% spring to it when finances allow!:rolleyes: Most fields here are 300-350 FPS CQB and Woodland! our little group don't bane the higher FPS just try to keep the price of your AEG's/Spring rifles under $200, Pistols Spring or Gas under $50, you can carry up to 3 weapons and no more than 500 rounds per man to start the game with, NO HEAD HUNTING and PROTECTIVE FACE MASKS Hard plastic or a full bacula with safty glasses(sp?) with ear protection must be worn at all times!

I'm not sure how your fields are but alot of ours are loaded with Palmetto bushes to hide behind. You need a FPS of 400+ if you want to punch through clear that plant of Gamers!:D;) What roll do u play? I'm usually a Scout/Tracker/or Point Man....or First one to find the clamores and Booby traps!:rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, what kind of car is it? If it's an Aurora or Northstar Cadillac, you might as well shoot yourself now. It's under the intake manifold of those cars.

It's our "drive around town car", a 1993 Mercury Gran Marquis. The HUGE trunk is almost as large a pickup truck bed. The price was right, free for towing. Only has 77000 actual miles. We've replaced almost everything on the car through the years...the "brain", brake lines, tie rod ends, needs ball joints(I think), and I imagine that the alternator will need to be replaced too. Those are "plug and play". It's been a good car with just general maintenance, tires, new battery, and such.

It also is amazing on gas for a car its size. Gets 22mpg in town!!!! I can't complain. My pickup, a 2009 Ford F250 Crew Cab, gets about 10-12mpg in town, I guess the 4wd has its disadvantages. But, with the boats, I need the truck. And the better half's vehicle, a 2007 full size Impala(I think that's what it is), just stays parked most of the time. It's 3 years old and has about, but not quite, 8000 miles.

But, I have to get the Merc towed home and garage cleaned out so's I can get the starter fixed. First, the snow has to go away so I can park everything in the drive way. That may take until..............June the way it looks right now. The snow be DEEP here and it's still coming down.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Things seem a little slow afternoon. Too many people out shoveling or blowing snow, I guess. I hope everyone's lights and heat stay on for the rest of the week.
Here, in the area of Birmingham, Ala, it is still raining. It sure is nice to see the precipitation running down the gutter, instead of a plow truck filling the gutter with slush.
The weather wizards are talking about the "S" word again, but I think they own stock in the local grocery stores.
I'll check back later to see what kind of trouble Chris is causing today.:D
 
Just got back from a few errands this afternoon. Stopped in and had my taxes done, getting a grand back for the feds and a whole $1.00 from NY, at least I dont owe them money this year.

Also, Calling all blood donors any one out there in modelrailroad forum land.



Just a public service message for any one over 17 and 110# go out and donate blood it take like 15 minutes of your time and you get free juice and cookies. You never know who will benefit from your blood could be you. only 3% of the population donates blood so the more the better.


I just gave today and need to go one more time then I'll have donated a gallon of blood.



For those who have donated whats your blood type and rough amount you have given

Type O-
7 pints for me
 
Mikey, I've been working on the igloo. Trying to get nails to stay in the "walls" for the "homey"look. Ain't workin' out.

We had a bit of sunshine, so I came in to check the RADAR. Looks like we were in the "slot" for a bit. The storm is gonna hit us with its backside in a bit, though. Been snowing all day. Though it looked a lot like "lake effect" when the sun was out. Real fine stuff. Bigger flakes now.

Winds are supposed to start up later. That should be fun.......means DRIFTS!!!!!! And in a flat place like Indiana, that ain't good. It seems that the wind just takes the snow out of the fields and places it on the roads. EEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWW!!!! DRIFT BUSTIN'!!!! I used to have a 1948 Plymouth that was just the horse to ride for that fun stuff!!! Squeeze 8 or 9 my high school chums in it and off we'd go!!!!

Time to get back to buildin' my igloo before the snow stops.

Drew, I'll make a trip to the Red Cross here as soon as I can get dug out. I donate a 3-4 pints a year for the past 15-20 years. I sure keep the vampires fed. Type A-pos, and at least a couple of buckets full. I got a nice pen and pencil set and a lapel pin a few years ago for some plateau.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Had power problems last night during the storm. Power went out several times and kept flickering this morning. I went to see the foot this morning. The wound on the right foot is down to just a pinhole. Regardless, he wants me to wear that confounded vacuum for another week. I'm about ready to muzzle somebody with it. The wound on my left big toe has filled in nicely and the skin is closing up a bit more. Once it's closed up the doc want's to loosen the joint up a bit so it doesn't lock down when I put weight on it. That's a wait and see matter right now. Stopped by Radio Shack and picked up a new toggle switch for the cars fuel pump as the old switch finally burned out. It's rated at 25 amps at 12 volts so it should be more than enough for the job. Why don't I replace the fuel pump relay? Because I can't find the dang thing. It's not where the manual says it should be and I'm not tracking it down through miles of wiring. It's easier to slave it off the battery with a fast blow fuse in line for safety. Stopped at my parent's place to go through my mail and had lunch with them. They were experiencing the same power issues I was having. The power was stable by the time I got back home. Weather guesser is mumbling something about snow on Friday. Where's my gun!
 


So far this year, we've had 37.8 inches of snow for the 20th snowiest year since 1855. And we have been know to get snow as late as April 1st. Should be an interesting year.
 
Well the white stuff is falling. In a surreal moment they drove around our neighborhood announcing on a loud speaker that the township had declared a snow emergency and that all cars have to be off the street by 9 PM. My kids’ school has already announced that they are closed for tomorrow. All this before the first flake fell.

It has been coming down for less than an hour and the driveway already has about a half an inch on it. They are calling for 12 to 18 inches except for this swath that runs from Philadelphia to Wilmington that Drexel Hill sits in the middle of. We are the lucky ones and will get 18 to 24 inches.

This year we have 56 inches thus far. The snowiest winter was 95/96 when we got 65 inches. Most of that was in the January storm that dumped 30.7 inches on us. It looks like 2009/10 will be the snowiest on record for the Delaware Valley. Global warming anyone?

I am about ready to fill up a U-haul truck with the snow and dump in Chris' front yard.:D:cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's our "drive around town car", a 1993 Mercury Gran Marquis. The HUGE trunk is almost as large a pickup truck bed. The price was right, free for towing. Only has 77000 actual miles. We've replaced almost everything on the car through the years...the "brain", brake lines, tie rod ends, needs ball joints(I think), and I imagine that the alternator will need to be replaced too. Those are "plug and play". It's been a good car with just general maintenance, tires, new battery, and such.

It also is amazing on gas for a car its size. Gets 22mpg in town!!!! I can't complain. My pickup, a 2009 Ford F250 Crew Cab, gets about 10-12mpg in town, I guess the 4wd has its disadvantages. But, with the boats, I need the truck. And the better half's vehicle, a 2007 full size Impala(I think that's what it is), just stays parked most of the time. It's 3 years old and has about, but not quite, 8000 miles.

But, I have to get the Merc towed home and garage cleaned out so's I can get the starter fixed. First, the snow has to go away so I can park everything in the drive way. That may take until..............June the way it looks right now. The snow be DEEP here and it's still coming down.

Bob

Well, it should be an easy replacement, then. I replaced one a few years ago...I disconnected the battery, and started removing the starter. I was extremely surprised when I touched ground with the starter wire, and got a huge spark! WTF?!!! I checked. yup, the battery is unhooked. Checked with a test light and had power! It turned out the ORF had a second battery in the trunk to run his wheelchair lift. If nothing else, it's exciting working on other people's cars.:rolleyes:
 
It's a very nasty night in Indiana......

(Click To Enlarge)
th_SnowyNight004.png
 
Flo, How about an extra large cup of Hot Chocolite.

Well the Saints won the Super Bowl on Sunday, now the weather guesser used the S word for Friday. Can somebody check the temp in H*** as it has to be dropping! LOL

We may all have to meet at Chris's this weekend as he may be the only one without snow!

Glenn
 
Philip, how much snow have you gotten around Indy? We are having white outs here. Wind is picking up.

Well, the igloo is about ready for habitation. Not me, though, it's too cold. I'm staying inside, with a hot cup of coffee and the gas fireplace flickering.

I tried to get the old Merc towed home today. Didn't happen. I tried six towing companies and they were busy towing people out of ditches and cleaning the roads and intersections from wrinkled cars due to accidents. Maybe tomorrow. One said that they had to send one of their trucks out to "rescue" one of their other wreckers. Seemed it went into a ditch too. Now, wouldn't that be a sight to see.

The city pulls you over and tickets you if you try pulling vehicle with a logging chain or I'd drag it home myself. It's only 11 blocks away. I can get right off of the main thoroughfare and out of traffic's way. And they can impound both vehicles. I surely don't need that to happen. Whatever happened to "the good ol' days"?

So, I guess I'll play with trains, or the dogs, or the better half. Haven't done that in a while. Gotta remember how that goes.......

Anyway, I've got three computers running and listening to railroadradio.net, in Ft. Wayne, Pittsburgh, and South Central Ohio, Can't remember the yard there. Those boys are working hard in this mess. But, if'n you're in an engine cab, you should be pretty warm. It's the signal and rail maintainer's job I wouldn't like.

Definitely not kilt weather, that's for sure. Winds is blowing hard enough and cold enough to frost the ol' sphincter, among other things.

Well, gotta figger out what's on the agenda.

Bob



PS: Well, my night just got occupied. Just gotta call from EM(Emergency Management) Seems that I'm going on duty. I've got the radios fired up and am ready to go. I haven't done this in some time. The radio shack looks like an "electronic geeks dream". There are four computers, four HAM radios, a CB radio(hardly used any more), two scanners, a landline with four lines, my cell phone, an AM and an FM radio, NOAA radio, a TV, a stereo(you don't actually think I listen to all of those radios do you?), a microwave, a small refrigerator, and a BIG coffee pot. All in a 12x14 heated(and cooled) shed.

I might have to melt the ice off of a couple of the antennas, though. SWR was a little high when I checked them. Just dead key the linears for about 20 seconds should do it.

A couple of guys are on there way to keep me company and help with the calls and keep track of what's going on. At least they are train guys. Maybe we can mess with trains. I've got boxes and boxes of cars needing repair, couplers, wheels and such. And my nephew is also on his way. He just lives down the street.

Gotta go, knock at he door. I'll be back on once I get to the shack. --- Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:mad:Snow, is a four letter word.:mad:

My 40 minute ride home took 2 hours tonight. :mad: Road were not that bad, the problem mainly was an inordinate amount of people in cars, combined with 3-4 inches of snow. Cars that should not be allowed out past the 2 inch level. (my new rule)
My other rules for a happy world?
Stuck at work with a car and its snowing? Walk to a motel.
Need to travel in snow, buy a truck. Not a cute little rice burning SUV, a truck.
Can't afford a truck? Be really nice to people with trucks.
Boss has a truck, but you don't? Sleep with him (or her). Maybe then you can afford a truck.
Concerned that the truck use too much fuel, promoting global warming? Buy a truck, if everyone did, maybe we wouldn't have so much flippin snow!

Someone mentioned records? We were about 3 1/2 inches below the 64 inch seasonal record here. I just plowed 5 inches out of my driveway and we are still looking at 18 more hours of precip here. I honestly don't know where I'm going to put it all! We also are due some 50 mph winds tomorrow. I can just picture idiots everywhere, all driving like little Stevie Wonders!:rolleyes:

And yes, I gotta go back in to work at 6 a.m. tomorrow. Oh joy oh bliss!:mad:
 


Well, back on. This shack is COLD!!! Not insulated real well, but there is dirt pushed up around it. Like a bunker, it is. Hopefully the heater will catch up shortly. If not, I'll fire up the kerosene heater from the garage.

I just talked to some folks in Michigan. Seems they are getting some of the white stuff. The RADAR looks like we might get some of the back side of the storm if it doesn't move faster to the east. That could be trouble as it picks up some moisture from the Great Lakes added to the increase in wind. Might be a long busy night. But, then again, it could be a long uneventful one.

The crew is all here. Jim, Don, Pat, and the nephew, Zeb. Angela is in the kitchen whipping up some grub. Looks to be hot ham and cheese sandwiches and some soup she has had in the freezer. She said something about home made pizza and some nachos, too.

I brought out about 30 cars that need repair and another 20 that we can weather. If time is slow, we might get them all done tonight. We are on duty until 8AM in the morning. I don't know why one of the other guys can't pick up the flag sooner. 12 hours is a mighty long shift. Scanners are a little busy, but little else is.

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top