Come on in to Coffee Shop 21

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Saturday everyone.

As Karl mentioned, Maryland is getting buried alive in a blizzard. Looks like we've gotten ~ 2ft of snow so far, but the drifts outside my window are at least 3ft high. I've got a whopping case of "storm fatigue", i.e. I'm burned out from all the prep work I did between Wednesday night and Firday afternoon. First I brought in as much firewood as would fit near my woodstove, then I made sure the generator would start. I can't count the number of "final" trips I made to the grocers and the HW store because somebody would discover yet another important item that we needed but overlooked. I'm applying the Murphys Law logic that a power outage won't happen as long as I'm fully prepared for one.:rolleyes:

Chris - many of the professional grass cutters up here make a ton of money plowing snow during the winter months.

Bob - I'm in the process of de-mothballing a number of my earlier-era loco's. I've decided that I prefer trains with cabeese over those with ditch lights.

Corey - I'm wondering how anybody in my area will host superbowl parties with all this snow covering the roads. Food-delivery businesses are complaining that they'll suffer a huge loss from people canceling their SB parties - it's the equivalent to them of what Christmas is to retailers.

I haven't posted on here much lately because Vicky still needs me to do all of the manual labor around the house, even though she's able to work. I'm grateful for that, since her job doesn't offer paid sick-time or vacation so we get the double-whammy of losing two weeks of her income, as well as having to pay for the medical expenses not covered by insurance. This has pretty much obliterated my MRR budget for the year :mad: - at least for large projects anyway.
 
Heavy rainfall this morning in SoCal, but it's quiet for now.

Super Bowl Sunday will just be the wife and I. I still don't understand why the Super Bowl isn't played on Saturday.
 
Heavy rainfall this morning in SoCal, but it's quiet for now.

Super Bowl Sunday will just be the wife and I. I still don't understand why the Super Bowl isn't played on Saturday.

they should move it because the start time is so late for us east coast guys makes getting up the next morning for work suck. if you had it on sat there would be more people watching and having parties and such. I'm in favor ov the game being played on saterday myself as well
 


Good afternoon folks

We are currently at our high temperature for the day at 24 F.

I just got in from clearing 22 inches of snow from the driveway and walkways. Some areas had only a couple of inches and one drift was at 42 inches high. The snow seems to have finished in our area. It took about 2 hours with the snow blower to clear everything. I just swallowed a handful of Tylenols for hoping to head off the pain that is coming.

I am going to try to lounge around the rest of the day and recover. We may be doing this again on Tuesday as there is another storm coming. We could get another 8 inches. I have no idea where we will put it.

I may go down to the workbench later tonight.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
We had 10" average in the 12-15 places I measured in the yard. The driveway and sidewalk cleaned themselves off after I used the snow-eater yesterday. Maybe 1" on them. There was one drift that actually "moved" from the driveway to the neighbor's yard. Nice of it to do so.

Yep, you on the central east coast took a hit. Good for the ski resorts, though. Oh, no ski resorts? Might be a good investment for the future.

Pittsburgh yard is still digging out. I got tired of listening to the crews say the same thing, "Tree down on line 2, fouling the line near ............" One report said the tree was too big for an engine to move. Big tree if a locomotive can't move it!!!!

There were also cars and engines off the rail in the yard. Must really be a mess. I don't know about the Roanoke yard. I haven't been able to get it on the computer to listen to the reports. When I looked at the RADAR the area was under a dark blue(snow). I heard the winds from offshore would reach 50MPH. That certainly is not good with snow on the ground.

I've been in contact with some HAM operators out East. One is a tranplanted Hoosier that endured the Blizzard of '78. He says it's almost as bad out there as it was here back then. Good luck to those of you out there.

Bob
 
I also just won (2)Kato SD35 chassis yesterday. Paid a bit more for those, but still got 'em on the cheap, $20 for each plus shipping of $5.95 for the pair.
Bob, I don't think Kato ever made SD35's. They made GP35's, and SD40/45's. The SD35's were Atlas/Roco (and China), Concor/Roco (hencho en Mexico), and IHC (made in a sweatshop in outer Kazooville).
 
Hiya gang!
WE SURVIVED! Yes, the snow is over, (for now)!:D About 28 inches here, and it's all out of the driveway now. Took about 2 hours to clear that depth from the sidewalks & driveway, but hey, its done til tomorrow, High winds tonight might blow it all back. Me staying in the basement! We've already had to move a few. Check the 5 footer in the back yard!!
Janndrift.jpg


boB Sweet deal on the engines,,,,,wish I could score like that!

Ken Breath easy,,,,,it's over
 
GP35's, undecorated, my mistake, I stand corrected. I was so happy to get the Atlas SD35's for $.99 that I had them on the brain. Thanks for the correction. Gettin' old sometimes makes me act like a child at Christmas when I get something like that so cheap. All figity, antsy, and fergetsful. What a deal!!! I'm watching a few more engines the same seller has listed. Not as good of a deal but, worth getting if the price stays down. I'll find some use for them. Strip and re-badge 'em if nothing else. Sure wish I could find some F- and E-units at those prices. Those I can use. But, I won't complain.

I had bid on them a couple of days ago. I figured someone would try to "snipe" them so I entered my high bid at $25 each, just in case. I really can't believe that no one else jumped in. I'll take it. Makes up for the times I've overbid on items.

Does anyone besides me listen to the railroad on the radio( www.railroadradio.net )I can't seem to get the yard in Roanoke, VA. Are they without power? Seems like they would have backup generators for such occasions. Usually they are hoppin'.

I usually listen the the NS yard in Fort Wayne, as I am most familiar with this area, and used to train fan the yard itself. I was listening to the CSX yard in Pittsbugh last night at the height of the storm, up until about 2AM this morning. What a mess they had.

I have tried Roanoke, VA several times today and can't get anything. Maybe who ever is hosting the feed is without power. A distinct possibility.

lraK, is dat a snowball she be hidin' behind her back?

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Just took my daughter down the street two blocks for a sleepover. The streets are nasty. They were plowed but now they are getting an ice crust on top of the slush. A couple of times I could feel the van slipping. Our street which is a snow emergency route has been plowed two lanes wide. The other streets in the neighborhood are barely plowed one lane wide. I can’t believe how many idiots put the snow in the street from their driveways and make the street impassable. We had to back down one street because we could not get through safely due to these idiots.
 
Good Morning--

I gotta bunch of stuff to do today for the seminars and some church fiddlework to do as well---:eek::eek::confused:;);):D

Superbowl on today and all this runnin' 'roun' doin' other peoples stuff---yay:eek::rolleyes:

So. Who's gonna win this one? :D:D:D
 
Going for the Saints myself.


Good morning. It's 36 with some clouds. The high will be in the low 50's and it will be partly cloudy.

I'm feeling the effects this morning of not having my allergy medicine. I'm going to try to get some layout work done today, if nothing else intrudes on my time. Photos show that there are plenty of gray hairs on the layout and they need to be dealt with. What can I expect? I shed like a dang cat! There's also a section of road that needs to be taken up. The railroad crossings it led to have been gone a long time. I'll be glad when I can get under the layout and get the shop-vac that's under there. I'll be able to give the layout a proper cleaning then. Not much of anything else on the agenda today.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/DSCN2319.jpg
 
The rain has stopped in SoCal and the sun is out. Low 60s is the word. More rain ina couple of days.

Staked out a spot in the garage for the layout/diorama. Time to purchase some lumber, but probably not until next weekend. I helped my son put the driver side fender back on the '36. It's nice to see it coming back together.

I'm hoping for an Indy win today. I've always liked Peyton and would like to see his legacy get cemented.
 


Terry- I read his book, he seems like a great guy i bet it was pretty cool to meet him.

Karl- Im a patriots fan, so i guess i can relate :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top