Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good Evening

Lotsa rain for us today...downpour after downpour after downpour...then came the t'underin'boomers...with even more rain..and this will continue until Thursday the guessers tell us...obviously rubbing their hands together with glee....
 
I've got the temp of the new fridge set at 37 degrees. That's close enough. The freezer is -5. Again, that's close enough. They aren't absolutely perfect but as long as they keep my chimichangas, cheese, sandwich meat and fixings and my Cajun sausage fresh and doesn't freeze my insulin (stored in the crisper) that's all I need. The freezer contains more chimichangas and sandwich meat that's all frozen hard as rocks.

Got all the couplers on the FP7's changed out and I replaced the front coupler retainer pins with screws. I've had instances where pins have fallen out due to vibration or whatever other reason.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

PIC_0053-1.jpg
 


Good Morning:

It's 63° and somewhat sunny in Central New Jersey this morning. Going up to 80° or so today, then it will cool down and rain for the next couple.

The good news is that my Keurig coffee maker reprogrammed itself after sitting un-powered for 12 hours, so I didn't have to replace it, (yet).

I ordered four more Digitrax DN 135 S decoders, to convert some of my long stored Atlas classics to DCC. The N scale decoder works fine in my HO locomotives, and fits well where clearances are tight. Hopefully, I'll have them for the weekend.

Have a great day!

Joe
 
Good morning. It's 71° with 94% humidity. It will be cloudy with a fair chance of rain. Looks like the high will be 82°.
condmc-1.jpg
cond70.jpg


Only plan for today is to work on cleaning up the layout. Looks like it'll be wet outside so I'll be staying inside as much as possible.

DSCN3033.jpg
 
A leftover from the KCS southern division. I won that one on another forum. A few people put quite a bit of work into it and I'm not going to change it.
 
Good morning folks.

Freezing rain to the south, 12 to 15 inches of snow to the north. Us in the middle, possible tenth of an inch of ice covered by 8 to 10 inches of snow!:eek: Booo!!!:D
 
Well I was going to use the new tractor today to move my old fridge out to the road for pickup. When I went down to get it I found that it wouldn't move. Not forward or backward. I looked underneath and found that the drive belt has been burned up. It was running fine the last time I used it and had no drive problems. And it's obvious to me that it's been moved since then, so that means somebody used it and couldn't keep their darn foot off the brake pedal. I've told the other family members many times the brake isn't for stopping under power. It's only for parking and to keep the tractor from rolling while in neutral. Period. Some of them can't get that through their heads. If the responsible party doesn't step forward and pony up the money for a new belt I'll put a kill switch on the ignition system so only I can start it. I'm tired of this 'somebody else will fix it if I break it' crap!
 


It's 79 ands pleasant here. Cloudy but you can't have everything. We got a little sprinkle this morning and there's still a 70% chance of showers.
 
I'll bet all the HVAC repair companies in MD are being flooded with calls today! (hmmmm, wonder if mine is working? I guess I'll find out when I get home...)
 
Well I was going to use the new tractor today to move my old fridge out to the road for pickup. When I went down to get it I found that it wouldn't move. Not forward or backward. I looked underneath and found that the drive belt has been burned up. It was running fine the last time I used it and had no drive problems. And it's obvious to me that it's been moved since then, so that means somebody used it and couldn't keep their darn foot off the brake pedal. I've told the other family members many times the brake isn't for stopping under power. It's only for parking and to keep the tractor from rolling while in neutral. Period. Some of them can't get that through their heads. If the responsible party doesn't step forward and pony up the money for a new belt I'll put a kill switch on the ignition system so only I can start it. I'm tired of this 'somebody else will fix it if I break it' crap!
I don't have that problem for the simple reason I keep the keys in my pocket. If somebody wants to borrow my tractor, they also have to borrow (and bribe) me.
 
I don't have that problem for the simple reason I keep the keys in my pocket. If somebody wants to borrow my tractor, they also have to borrow (and bribe) me.

What do ya do if the tractor doesn't use a key switch! :rolleyes:




Ya keep it in the garage where you can keep an eye on it!!!;)
 
What do ya do if the tractor doesn't use a key switch! :rolleyes:




Ya keep it in the garage where you can keep an eye on it!!!;)
No garage or place to lock it in here.

*

One belt later and the tractor is running again. My nephew and one of his friends used it last so he (nephew) fixed it. There were a couple of anxious minutes after he started it and pulled the drive lever back for reverse. It didn't move. Little wonder. The safety release for the trans-axle was pulled out and locked. I unlocked it and pushed it back in. It moved then. He drove it in a few circles in the back yard then parked it making very sure he didn't touch the brake until it was in neutral. Seems he can still learn some things.

Had dinner with my father this evening. Pinto beans, rice, corn bread. Afterward we watched wheel of fortune then I came back home.

Looks like the weather may get nasty tonight. There's a cold front moving across east Texas and it should be here in an hour or so. The weather guesser is moaning about lows in the low 40's and possibly a 90% chance of rain with heavy rain and gusting winds possible. It could be an interesting night.
 
The weather guesser called for 80° + today, but it topped out at 72° before noon, and has been dropping ever since. East wind off the ocean penetrates far inland this time of year and keeps things cool. 20 miles to our west it was 85°, while it was 64° here. Think the guessers would know this as it happens every spring. Now we are having a thunder storm that was not in the forecast....really! Looks like rain through Friday, and cooler temperatures.

I received a shipping notice, my decoders will be here tomorrow afternoon. While looking in my treasure chest, I found a long forgotten Walthers SW1.
Now, I have to search out all the re-build articles I keep seeing in various forums.

Have a good evening.

Joe
 
... While looking in my treasure chest, I found a long forgotten Walthers SW1.
Now, I have to search out all the re-build articles I keep seeing in various forums. ...
I have one of those myself that was mothballed for ~14 years. I tested it and it still runs. But it needs a decoder installed, and I lack the shop infrastructure to do the required milling.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top