Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good afternoon folks.

It's 60 and mostly cloudy today. I guess it's suppose to get cold tomorrow with a chance of snow.:eek: Hopefully that's the last time this season for that kind of forecast.

I had my 5 year old nephew over yesterday afternoon to run trains. Ever since I let him play on Christmas he's been obsessed. Knowing I have to darn near destroy the thing to move it, I figured he should come over before that happens. Boy did he expose the short falls of actually running the trains on my layout instead of the roundy round that I usually do. He stretched my ability to run different trains since my block control is only partly wired(I hate wiring). He wanted me to pick up and drop off cars where I didn't provide a run around for facing turnouts. He also exposed the problems I can have backing up passenger trains in the curves. Who knew that running trains with a five year old can point out how lacking in realism your layout is. I guess I should have had him come over while I was testing my layout track plan.:D It was the most I've run my trains in months so it was nice to enjoy it one more time before the move. With all of the remodeling I have to do in the coming months I don't know if reassembling the layout will make the honey do list. Fun was had by all.

We close on the house in three weeks so it's time to start sorting and packing all of our crap.

I hope everyone is doing well. Have a good day.
 
SOOOO what the paint scheme you gonna paint it :confused::cool:
I plan on using my usual gray and black.

DSCN3540.jpg
 


I got my Kadee couplers today. Two packs of 147's and three packs of 119's. Now I can put the right type of coupler on the front of my FP7's. A 148 center shank is too low. The 147 has an underset shank so the coupler head is higher.
 
Good afternoon folks.

It's 60 and mostly cloudy today. I guess it's suppose to get cold tomorrow with a chance of snow.:eek: Hopefully that's the last time this season for that kind of forecast.

I had my 5 year old nephew over yesterday afternoon to run trains. Ever since I let him play on Christmas he's been obsessed. Knowing I have to darn near destroy the thing to move it, I figured he should come over before that happens. Boy did he expose the short falls of actually running the trains on my layout instead of the roundy round that I usually do. He stretched my ability to run different trains since my block control is only partly wired(I hate wiring). He wanted me to pick up and drop off cars where I didn't provide a run around for facing turnouts. He also exposed the problems I can have backing up passenger trains in the curves. Who knew that running trains with a five year old can point out how lacking in realism your layout is. I guess I should have had him come over while I was testing my layout track plan.:D It was the most I've run my trains in months so it was nice to enjoy it one more time before the move. With all of the remodeling I have to do in the coming months I don't know if reassembling the layout will make the honey do list. Fun was had by all.

We close on the house in three weeks so it's time to start sorting and packing all of our crap.

I hope everyone is doing well. Have a good day.

When (or if) you do rebuild your layout, you'd better go DCC as well. And get your nephew over to help with the wiring and setup. Anything electronic these days definitely benefits from the expertise of a 5 year old :p
 
When (or if) you do rebuild your layout, you'd better go DCC as well. And get your nephew over to help with the wiring and setup. Anything electronic these days definitely benefits from the expertise of a 5 year old :p

Don't you know it brother! Heres my youngest, (I don't even think he was 5 yet) handling a DCC throttle by himself at a show! I think they are starting Ipad lessons in the womb these days!
trains_child.jpg
 
Man, I am wiped out! It's been a busy day. My fridge conked out this morning so I had to get a new one. It's a Haier frost-free refrigerator/freezer. Finally got it in place and operating around 6pm. I put my food from the old one in my nieces fridge while this new one gets cold. I had put everything up in the freezer of the old one so it could at least stay cool. It was still cooling a little. I'm gonna let the new one run for at least twelve hours before I put anything in it. I may be crazy but I ain't stupid. The price on it was good. $359. As usual lately my father paid for it. I don't know what he's expecting in return. He helped my nephew get it into the trailer. That was a sight to see. There's not much room in here at the best of times and with the two of them in here it was pretty tight until they pushed it into position. I'm guessing the power outage yesterday zapped the old one. There was a rapid series of spikes just before the power died. Fridge compressors don't like that. It fried one of my surge protectors too.

Well enough about that. I got the front couplers on four of my FP7's changed out earlier. The primer gray, Rock Island, BN and ex-PRR each have a Kadee 147 in the pilot and they're spot on according to the height gauge. I have two more in the display rack that need to be done, both UP (one is ex-UP). Well that's all for now.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3230.jpg
 


Good Morning.....I could use a few 50 cup urns...if you have any of those Bill!!:eek:

mmmmm...I did not post the last coupla days...and I have to play catch up ....mmmmmmm:eek:

Dull and dribbly here...we had a few monsoons show up and....my lake is back!!:eek:....yep..our shared backyard lake is now in full swing here...we now have the floating dock out there:eek:....Today is calling for pretty much the same thing...showers and periods of rain..heavy at times:rolleyes:

Not much otherwise to report here....so we be going now...have a good one!!!:):)
 
Good Morning!

It's already 67° this morning, and it's supposed to go to 81°. Wow! The heat was still coming on two days ago, and now............who's complaining.:).

I certainly could use that new coffee maker, as apparently my Keurig has expired.:(:(. I'll deal with that later.

More yard work today.

I also need to determine what decoders I need for some Atlas classics, I found in the storage box.

Have a great day.

Joe
 
Good morning. It's 70° with 88% humidity. It will be cloudy with a high of 82°.

No plans for today other than going to get my groceries out of my nieces fridge/freezer and put them in my new one. The fridge is 33° and the freezer is -5°. Other than that I think I'll just take it easy today.

PIC_0064.jpg
 
Good morning folks.

I guess it's monsoon season here in the upper Midwest. Hopefully the ground is thawed enough that some of it soaks in. The drought conditions continue and the farmers are worried. After an inch or so of rain, we are to transition to freezing rain, then snow. Just north of here is looking at 9 to 12 inches of snow. Boo!! I don't mind the rain, just the freezing rain.

We'll see if any customers are up to getting soaked just so they can buy some men's clothing.:rolleyes:

Have a good day everyone.:)
 
Good Morning!

It's already 67° this morning, and it's supposed to go to 81°. Wow! The heat was still coming on two days ago, and now............who's complaining.:).

I certainly could use that new coffee maker, as apparently my Keurig has expired.:(:(. I'll deal with that later.

More yard work today.

I also need to determine what decoders I need for some Atlas classics, I found in the storage box.

Have a great day.

Joe

Get a Bunn! 10 cups of Donut Shop quality coffee in little over three minutes. Expensive, but well worth it. Should last 6-8 years ;).
 
Well today is our first 80* degree day this year. It's 80* right now at 2:25pm.....and the high they say.....will be 72*......so that's good to know. :p

Going to walk downtown two blocks to the post office and mail my phone bill. Then I might haul my old rc racecar out to the flying field and see if it runs on 33% nitro. Hardly no one flies out there.....so I work on the aging toyota truck and fiddle with RC cars.....and even occasionally fly a plane.
 
I've gotten the coupler swap-out done on all six of my FP7. Each one has a Kadee 147 in the pilot and a Kadee 119 on the rear and they're OK by the height gauge.

I got my food from my nieces fridge this morning and it's now in mine where it belongs. I've been working on getting the temp set properly and I think I've got it. I'll check it in an hour and see.

I think that's about all I'll do for today and just relax the rest of the day.
 
There was no mention of wind and rain in this mornings weather forecast. Now we have both. Isolated showers with winds of up to 35 mph. Out here by the lake there's a near 40 mph wind out on the lake and the white caps are rolling. Think I'll stay inside.
 
There was no mention of wind and rain in this mornings weather forecast. Now we have both. Isolated showers with winds of up to 35 mph. Out here by the lake there's a near 40 mph wind out on the lake and the white caps are rolling. Think I'll stay inside.
doesnt the lake screw up every forecast?? i mean a body of water can change anything from wind to precip right ;)
 


doesnt the lake screw up every forecast?? i mean a body of water can change anything from wind to precip right ;)
Yeah, but Vernon Lake is only 4,600 acres. You wouldn't think it would make a significant impact on the area. But if you come out here on a cool day when there's a wind blowing off the lake you think impact! Whatever the thermometer says take about ten degrees off.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top