Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


no way alabama is all about warm hot sweaty , you guys dont get snow !!!!!:eek:

Occasionally we do!:D

HeaviestSnow.png
 
Well if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all. I've been put out of my home -- for today at least. Thanks to all the rain we've had of late a tree fell over onto my electrical service line and arced out the meter base. The offending tree has been removed and has a date with one of my nephews weekend bonfires. But the meter box still must be repaired. The ground cable was yanked and did a good impression of an arc welder before it lost contact. The power company sent a guy out to pull the meter and cut the lines so it can be repaired. Ten years ago I could have done the work myself but getting up on a ladder now is entirely too dangerous! We have an electrician coming out to put a new cable down from the weather head but that won't be until sometime tomorrow. I'll spend the night at my fathers place tonight. At least I'm able to keep my fridge going. I ran a 100 foot heavy extension cord over to my nephews place, with his permission of course.

Tomorrow morning I have to go to DeRidder for a prostate exam. Oh joy! Well I can think of worse ways to waste my time.

At the moment I'm using the computer I keep down here. It's somewhat slower than the one at my home, in fact a lot slower and has a hard time doing several things at once without coming to a near standstill (Ebox board with dual Celeron D processors). Can you say snail? One of the reasons I stopped using it. I just keep it around in case I might need it and to order health stuff for my father. Yeah, he's a vitamin nut! Takes them every day and is healthy as a horse.
 


Snowflake the size of silver dollars are coming down, supposed to be very heavy stuff. I gassed up both generators and made sure they both start and run, then put them back in the garage (just in case). Where I live, it's kind of on the border of whether we are going to get 8" of wet, heavy, tree-and-power line-breaking snow, or 4" of snow, plus freezing rain that could also play havoc with trees and power lines.
It should also be much fun to drive my truck to work tomorrow. Everybody here panics when they hear the word "snow". You can't buy a loaf of bread or gallon of milk anywhere in town tonight.
 
Marylanders aren't much better. At least now, the local [Baltimore] news radio station WBAL doesn't hype it up the way they once did. We'll let the Weather Channel do that. Naming snowstorms? Oh, come on now...!:rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow morning I have to go to DeRidder for a prostate exam. Oh joy! Well I can think of worse ways to waste my time.

Can't be too many. I always think of that old Benny Hill song (you may have seen him on public TV some years ago) "Stick your finger in your ear, and go ting-a-ling-a-loo" (with slurring of appropriate words)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysFrt3V7nvI

Sing it to the examiner, but careful he doesn't laugh too much or it could be painful.
 
Marylanders aren't much better. At least now, the local [Baltimore] news radio station WBAL doesn't hype it up the way they once did. We'll let the Weather Channel do that. Naming snowstorms? Oh, come on now...!:rolleyes:
well the reason they name snowstorms is they are between hurricane & tornado season. so they need to come up with a reason to do the 24/7 coverage & they need to name the coming DANGER !! which brings more viewer= more sponsor dollars ;)
 
Well, due to the rain we got a falling tree did a good job of kicking my anthill over. I should be moved back into it by this time tomorrow provided the electrician shows up as planned and there aren't any problems. Got an appointment in the morning for a prostate exam. I hope to get that wrapped up quickly. I'm staying the night at my fathers place so not too uncomfortable.

Well time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011765.jpg
 


Good morning. It's cloudy an 29, with 2" of heavy snow on the ground. No power or internet interruptions, and the road out front of my house was plowed about 3 am.
 
Good Morning:

30°F, Sunny and Breezy in Howell NJ this morning. No Snow! Hopefully it will stay this way for the entire day. Forecasters calling for a rapid warm-up to near 50°F for the weekend, then rapid cool down next week. Ha! They rarely get this right.

Perhaps I will do something on the layout. The tower project is into the small part stage, so I need my extra eyes :).

Have a great day!
 
Good morning. It's 35° with 100% humidity and patchy frost. It'll be sunny with a high of 58°.
cond007.gif


Well in a little while I'll be on my way to the docs for my prostate exam. The sooner that's over the better. The electrician is supposed to show up sometime today to fix my meter box so I can get my power reconnected, again. Hopefully I won't need a new meter box.

See ya later.

P1012847.jpg
 
Good afternoon. Well I got the prostate exam done so that's out of the way for another year.

Got home to find the electrician had been there. The old boxes all had to be replaced because they were rusted out. $490.00. There goes any money I could have used for the hobby. Getting anything new for it just went from a couple of months to a year or more. Boy, old Murphy must be howling!

Now to the fun of getting a reconnect done. I called the power company to have someone come out to reconnect the power and I'm told I have to have a reconnect permit from 911. WHAT!! That;s a new one on me! The electrician found that to be strange too. So I call 911's permit line to get the number and I have to jump through a crap load of hoops just to get a darn five digit number. Called the power company back and had to jump through all those hoops again! What a bunch of bureaucratic crap. Well hopefully it'll be reconnected today.
 
Cj, You call that snow? I've had thicker cake frosting!;):D

That was 15 minutes after it started.

This morning my wife was driving to work, and a guy was coming up an entrance ramp, hit an icy patch, spun into the guardrail, then spun into her. She wasn't hurt, but the car sustained significant damage on the passenger doors. The car is drivable, and as soon as the police report comes out, it will be going into the shop.
 
That was 15 minutes after it started.

This morning my wife was driving to work, and a guy was coming up an entrance ramp, hit an icy patch, spun into the guardrail, then spun into her. She wasn't hurt, but the car sustained significant damage on the passenger doors. The car is drivable, and as soon as the police report comes out, it will be going into the shop.

ouch! :eek:
Glad the Mrs. is OK, cars can be fixed easily, people no so much!
 
Today was, as I suspected it would be, "fun".
The snow plows ran about 3 am, leaving plenty of time for the slush on the roads to re-freeze. And it did. I made it to work, 22 miles away as the crow flies, in an hour and ten minutes. The only incident was a guy in a 4wd Suburban that thought 25 mph was too slow, and whipped around me to pass, on a curve, where it was pretty slippery. He ended up in the front lawn of a tombstone manufacturer (poetic justice). I just "smiled and waved" as I trundled by. I then spent my morning on the company's farm tractor with plow attached to plow the snow off the drive and parking lot. I didn't wear a hat, and now have a sunburn on my head. My toes also got a little cold (really cold), so I could easily have gotten frostbite and sunburn at the same time.
I got a box from Atlas with some parts I have been needing, so I will go install those after supper.
 


Well I'm back in my own home now. I checked everything out and it's all working. My cable internet wasn't working initially but I learned that was due to a problem up the line. Man, I tell you one thing. It was chilly in here. I set the heater on high and let it rock and roll. It's good to be back on my computer. It's not the fastest but compared to the one I was using at my fathers place it's lightning fast. That other one has dual Celeron D processors on a bargain basement no-name board, This one has dual Pentium E5300's on a good grade MSI board. This one hands down is the better of the two by a long way.

Well it's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

One of my other computers.
P1011853.jpg
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top