ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
thats what sucks about bikes , you can be the best rider in the world , with the margin of error soooo small all it takes is sand / potholes or illegal aliens & your dead
I had always wanted to ride and while in AL, you can get a motorcycle license at 14, I waited until I got a full drivers license to get on one by myself. After using a friends Honda 50 for a few days, I busted my butt at 10 miles an hour, but kept riding as often as I could. This continued thru College and Nursing School.
When I graduated and had taken my boards, I got a job in an OR. A level I Trauma Center OR. The very first case I observed on was a 15yo Motorcyclist who was hit by a car going 20mph. When he was thrown off, The car ran over his bike & his front wheel shattered and 5 spokes tore thru his neck. (The car missed him.) We spent over 5 hours trying to rebuild the circulation to his brain so he wouldn't be a vegetable. He unfortunately died on the table. At the time this was going on with the neurosurgeons, the orthopedic surgeons were working on his legs. They stopped working when he was pronounced.
It was at the post case discussion around the coffee pot with the MD's that I first heard these terms, "Murdercycle", "ORTA", (Orthopedic Resident Training Apparatus), and "Buy your son a motorcycle for his last birthday".
Since that case, and many others, I decided that I would never get on another one, nor allow a family member to get on one, and haven't.
Carey
I had a series of bikes when I was younger. A 125 Honda, a 250 Suzuki Enduro, and a Honda 360. Life was simpler then, most houses on our road were 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart, and the bikes, especially the dirt bikes were handy on the farm. That being said, since then the county has been growing by leaps and bounds, to the point that traffic backs up at rush hour on a 4 lane highway that was unnecessary 35 years ago.
I agree, I wouldn't ride one here anymore. I see the cell phones, the makeup artists, the newspaper readers, the folks eating a Big Mac with both hands (what are they steering with?) and the folks just not paying attention.
Why do ya think I keep driving my pickup & my Impala??
There is always some idiot who will ride anyway.
I qualify with a 2003 HONDA VTX-1800 cruiser.
I have approached the riding as being invisible on the road. I prefer riding on secondary roads, but must ride the interstate some. You must watch the
road for cracks and potholes and all traffic in front and behind you.
I am a fair weather rider and super cautious on wet pavement when I got caught by a sudden cloudburst.
But, it is an individual decision only you can make.
I'll say this only once, since I'm an Auburn fan, "ROLL TIDE"!
It's 27F and Sunny this morning. Yesterday's coating of snow is gone, except for my driveway, which never sees the sun. Even a balmy 44F didn't make a dent in the snow coat.
'Skins lost; Ravens won, and Hockey's back. Plan to fit in a couple of road crossings on the layout today. Since the January Thaw will be here toward the end of the week, I may venture out a bit. Lots of little things to catch up on.
It's suppose to be sunny with highs in the upper 30's. Very warm for this time of year.
My Mother and step dad both worked in surgery when I was in high-school. They both told me that I will never have a motorcycle! I argued that people get in car accidents too. They said, "yes, but they don't end up seeing us very often, people in motorcycle accidents do." That ended that discussion.
I ran some trains yesterday and made plans to redo a section. While I planned my attack I weathered a few crossings, a bridge, and a few buildings with powders. I reminded myself that the layout is in fact not done!
Good morning. It's 36° with 100% humidity. It'll be sunny with a high of 55°.
I feel a bit better today but still not up to doing anything on the layout without wrecking something in the process. Seems like a good movie watching day.
Well I'm feeling somewhat better than I did this morning. Seems my eyes are quite dilated though. I took a look outside a little while ago and felt like my eyes were going to get burned out. It's a bright sunny day. Too bad the temperature is only 47. It's a nice day otherwise.
Heck Jeff, sounds like y'all havin' a heat wave. Might break 32 here taday. At least the snow has finally quit. Came down sick over New Year's, went to Doc a Fri. and came a coin toss away from landing in hosp. Have pneumonia in rt. lung, but caught it early. Doing much better since last week. Caught up on a lot of sleep...LOL! Hope everyone's year is starting out better.
Ventured out today, Gas for the car, then Lowes, Target, and Stop'nShop. When I got home, replaced a bad CO detector, a florescent light in the laundry room, and a basement light fixture. Wife can't understand why I feel tired.
After a short rest, I'll begin to dismantle the Xmas tree. No railroadin" today!
I lasted a bit longer today but I'm now starting to feel very tired and a little green around the gills. I was able to run a train for a little while today if for nothing else to wipe any accumulated dust off the track. Looks like rain tomorrow. Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.
Good morning. It's 46° with 99% humidity. Flash flood watch in effect. Cloudy with showers and thunderstorms. The high will be 62°.
Looks like today will be warm and wet. At this momnet I can hear thunder in the distance and with the heavy clouds it looks like dawn instead of 8:30am. I'm feeling better today than I did yesterday which isn't saying much. I still don't have enough control over my equilibrium to do any work that requires me to stand at the layout. I may be able to do some work while sitting though. That thunder is getting louder. Time to wrap this up.
I'll say they did! ND had a good team, but they hadn't faced a team of the caliber of the Crimson Tide all year. The game was really over 6 seconds into the 2nd quarter when Bama went up 21 to 0. ND hadn't allowed a TD, never mind a rushing TD all year in the first quarter. In fact they has allowed only 2 rushing TD's all year! Bama had 1 rushing TD in 1st quarter, a touchdown pass and the rushing TD 6 seconds into the 2nd.
According to ESPN, this was the worst bowl game loss in ND's post season bowl history!
Boy, glad I don't have to do anything outside today. There's heavy rain falling and it's almost dark out there. Anybody who wants fresh rain water, hey you're welcome to it. There's enough pouring off my roof to fill up a rain barrel in a few minutes!