Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


It was 28 degrees at 6:00 AM, it's 35 now and is predicted to reach 50 as a high today and the sun is shining! Loving every bit of it. 28 degrees is a normal high this time of year.
 


Finished removing the decorations, enjoying the milder temperatures. It's been colder than average since last October, it's about time we got a break.
 
It was 28 degrees at 6:00 AM, it's 35 now and is predicted to reach 50 as a high today and the sun is shining! Loving every bit of it. 28 degrees is a normal high this time of year.

Actually that just about describes our forecast here Bob, only a matter of a letter.
 
Finished removing the decorations, enjoying the milder temperatures. It's been colder than average since last October, it's about time we got a break.

strange thing is its the opposite here we cann't get it below 80 for an avg high, the girlfriend said its werid cause the last 2 years, its warmer then it usually is . not like it normally is cause i laugh at her for saying it gets cold down here, i admit i find it strange that its just not getting cold.
the tail end of the cold fronts from western canada seem to stall or break apart before , they effect us , i don't know its just weird :confused:
 
It's a nice 60° here if you're willing to put up with 70%-100% chance of rain. Looks like 100% or close to it for the next couple of days. We should be in the 70° range by Thursday. After that the temps start sliding back down.
 
jeffery you must just get hit by the last piece of the cold front before they fall apart cause your not that far north of me
 


ahhh so i guess the fronts cant make the last 400+ miles to me lol:p
Yeah, something like that. One thing I'm not really afraid of here is a flood. I'm on high ground, about thirty-five feet above lake level. The dam over-tops at twelve feet and would likely be gone not long after. Even at twelve foot rise I'd still be high and dry while my father starts watching water flow across his great room floor. That would make thing interesting in his office as most of the plug sockets are in the floor. At that level the two roads out of here would be under more than several feet of water in a number of places. One thing about living next to a lake, there's a crap load of boats!
 
It's been a great day here. If you're a duck that is. The rain came down slow and steady most of the day with some heavy showers and thunderstorms. Rain chance tonight is 100% with heavy rain expected. It'll also be near 60 tonight so I'll have the a/c on if for nothing else to keep the humidity down. Dang humidity here can make 60 feel like 80! No layout work today. Didn't even run a train. I did watch some shows on the idiot box associated with trains though.

Here's one of two drive shafts I made for a Stewart AS16. It's an Athearn hex shaft glued into an Athearn blue box spline shaft socket. They work quite well.

DSCN2923.jpg


Well, time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.
 
One thing about living next to a lake, there's a crap load of boats!

Jeffrey:

That's why you seek out the highest lot. :D. Never worried about flooding until Irene last year, places that had not flooded in 200 years were under water. Sandy, was all about wind, once you got away from the immediate coast. I'm still impressed at the sight of twisted 100+ year old trees in the middle of woods. I'm more impressed (and thankful to the Almighty), that the five old Oaks in the back yard still stand, relatively unscathed.

Behind me is a stream that at best trickles down hill. Back in the day, the Native people called it a mighty river. My fear, is that some day, it might again become a 'Mighty River", and reclaim it's riverbed.

Have a good evening.

Joe
 
Good Evening

mmmmmm...Jeff...you seem to be having a lot of rain falling there....wow!!!

We got a lot of sun here..the whole day was filled with it.......

And, I have a hearing exam to deal with...SWMBO did decree this to me.......geeee...I wonder what I did worgn.....

Lots of work done today..even started on my Powerpoint stuff...started working in some interesting charts we have here....

Are we ready to say we have a Nick Saban dynasty going ???
 
Good morning. It's 60° with 100% humidity and light rain. A flash flood watch is in effect. Weather for the day will be showers and thunderstorms with locally heavy rain possible. The high will be 68°.
cond100.jpg


inmasirla_.gif


There's plenty of rain here. Anybody who wants some is welcome to come get it. Bring your own rain barrel.

No plans for layout work today. Surely as I get started on it the power will go out. Something strange happened last night. Not long after I signed off a sudden and I must say unexpected surge of energy hit me. Sleep was the farthest thing from my mind. So I worked on the F units for a while then on a GP35 then on an AS16. I have plans to turn the AS16 into a cabless booster unit and I have this crazy idea for a walkway running the length of the top of the chopped roof F unit slug. I'm sure OSHA would have fits over something like that on a real unit. But then they don't control what goes on in my world.

Well I've been running on this high surge of energy for a bit over nine hours now. I'm doubtlessly going to pay for it later, so if you don't hear from me later you'll have a fair idea of what happened.

DSCN2925.jpg
 
Good Morning!

It's 34F and sunny in Howell, NJ this morning, supposedly going up into the 50s.

Funny how one TV weather guy speaks of the January Thaw is an almost annual interlude of mild temperatures between cold snaps, while the guy on the other channel is going into hysterics like this is somehow a crises. Unless you own a ski resort, 50f in January is no crises, it's "Nice"!

Time for the monthly trip to Costco.

Have a super nice day!
 
Morning gang!

Boy, its been a rough week so far. Monday was the worst, my firewood guy was supposed to be here early, but called to say he would be a little late. Ok, cool, at least he called. 10:30 he shows up,We walk the yard to check for soft spots, it seems ok. Next thing you know, his 4x4 dump truck with 2 cords of wood in it is stuck in my side yard! Tried to pull him out with the Deere, no go. Front wheels were 3 feet in the air and the back tires were spinning on the street. (Thank goodness I had a 30 ft tow chain!) Ok, 2nd attempt, this time with my Ranger. Almost had him moving then BAM, something broke.:eek: now the Ranger wont move!!:eek: Tried reverse, thats ok, but all forward gears are gone! 2wd, 4wd Hi or Lo range, all the same! That now is parked til spring, I guess any tax refund will go toward a new tranny!:(

I backed the Ranger into the garage, then he called a buddy to come by with a 4wd, full sized Chevy truck. The finally realized that they could get it unstuck if they unloaded the truck in my side yard , throwing all the pieces off by hand. So while they did that , I had to get out the Cub Crapette, the cart(aired up the tires) then after they left, I moved 2 cords of wood from the side yard to the back yard. 15 loads in the dump cart! Then I had to try to undo some of the yard damage. By the time this was over, I was sore. So sore I just sat in the house yesterday! Today we feel better, gonna try to stack some wood today, temps are shooting up to the 50's today and tomorrow, but rain is coming for Friday, so I want to get it stacked and covered!

Don't wanna get too pooped today, got a run session to attend at a friends house tonight!:D

L8ter!
 
cant believe you didnt figure out the unload the truck before you blew up the ranger tranny, gotta love murphy & his laws ;p
well i was watching the radar & couldnt believe the rain fallling on DR FRANKENDIESEL while he tears into another 1/2 breed loco :p
 


well i was watching the radar & couldnt believe the rain fallling on DR FRANKENDIESEL while he tears into another 1/2 breed loco :p
Yep, and it's still coming down. Looks like more or less solid rain through to Monday! My invitation still stands. Anybody who wants rain water, come one, come all. BYORB (bring your own rain barrel).:D:cool:



It's noon here now. A nice 62° and very wet. No heavy rain yet. The rain gauge reading from yesterday read full. That's seven inches!:eek: I emptied it before signing off last night. I read it again a little while ago. Three inches from last night and this morning.:( That's ten inches so far and more on the way.:mad::confused::confused: One of my neighbors is putting in a big order of lumber. Either he's working on his cabin or he's getting ready to engage in ark building.:D

I got the cab off of the AS16. It was stuck on there pretty good and I was considering cutting it off. However a bit of prying with a small screwdriver popped it loose. The next step will be to cut a piece of card stock to fill the space in the shell formerly occupied by the cab. More on that later maybe.

DSCN2937.jpg
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top