Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I have the C628 back together and just put it through a test run. It runs like a champ and is awaiting the installation of a decoder. I have two perfectly good Digitrax DH123 decoders but I don't have the DHWH 9-pin connectors for them.
 
Here's photo's of the only Train related items that I kept off of the Layout.:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I made a short video today of the test run of the C628 with it's new motor. I pulled out the small 3-pole motor Mehano put in at the factory. I had to cut an opening in the frame to allow the new motor to sit low and level in the chassis. The new motor came from an Athearn SW1000 switcher that was in the closet for a couple of years. It has a 5-pole skew wound armature and runs much smoother than the old motor did. I have a decoder for it but until I get a DHWH 9-pin connector the decoder might as well be on Mars.

Anyhow, here's the C628 TEST RUN.

I didn't do anything else on the layout today.

Time to call it a day. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011884.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Evening Y'all:

NOAA finally brought the Belmar-Farmingdale reporting station back on line. It's been out a couple of weeks now. Current Temp is 48F/9C with 94% humidity, and it is overcast with rain.

I just finished watching a program on Discovery Channel, where engineering types developed conclusive evidence to support their theory that the Hindenberg disaster, was caused by a combination of "St. Elmos Fire", and a hydrogen leak near the tail stabilizer. It is of interest to me as Lakehurst NAS, where the accident occurred is only about 12 miles from where I live.

The tree is up and decorated. Looks good, although the decorations appear sparse compared to previous years, although everything, including my GG1 ornament are on the tree.

I still cannot reconcile that those 6 and 7 year old children were so brutally killed by that young man..................It's just beyond my comprehension.

Seven days from now, both my sons will be home with us for the Christmas Holidays. Last year they both spent Christmas in Afghanistan.

Need to help the better half with the cleaning and preparation. Need to make the train room presentable. Running short of time. Need to................

Better get my butt to bed or it won't happen.

Good Night!
 
Good morning. It's 59° with 98% humidity. It'll be somewhat cloudy with a high of 68°.
pcloudy-1.jpg


Nothing on the schedule today. I may work on some freight cars later. There are a couple of Life-Like 40' boxcars I'm interested in. Santa Fe No. 8565 car #16927, Chessie System No. 8476 car #26621. There's also a 40' single door Conrail boxcar #269976, blue with black doors, manufacturer unknown.

P1011902.jpg
 
good morning its 77* going up to 82* & sunny , was up all night with gurd ,i guess i just cant eat anything i want anymore , getting old sucks :(
 


good morning its 77* going up to 82* & sunny , was up all night with gurd ,i guess i just cant eat anything i want anymore , getting old sucks :(

Z - Have you tried Prevacid or Prilosec? I used to have chronic gerd, now I take a Prilosec tablet every morning and it rarely ever bothers me anymore.
 
53* degrees with intermittent showers.

Headed out the door....up to mansfield to harbor freight tools store. Never been in one of their stores before.....so looking forward to browsing a bit. Like most model builders I love tools! Hoping to pick up a cheap set of needle files for track work.



Mike
 
Well, I've added Kadee #5's to nine cars and one loco. Eight of the cars were body mount conversions. Looks like the fun has to stop though as I'm getting low on couplers, spring plates and screws. Time to put the stuff away until I get more supplies, whenever that is.

So far I've added couplers to an IHC Lehigh Valley C628 loco, Life-Like ICG flat car with containers, Athearn 62' tank car, Life-Like 40' TOY'S R US boxcar, Life-Like 34' covered hopper, Life-Like Chessie 100 ton hopper, Conrail 40' boxcar, Life'Like (Industrial Rail) Chessie 40' boxcar, Life-Like Santa Fe 40' boxcar, Bachmann Burlington 41' Hi-Cube boxcar (1972).
 
Good morning,
It a cold wet day here in Coarsegold at 42* with very Overcast skies and intermittent rain.
The most Oaks on the hillside in back are all dark Brown due to their limbs being wet and trunks too as most have just about lost all their leaves. About the only thing that remains in amongst the branches are clumps of Misseltoe here and there in some of the trees.

Today I need to try and fix my Gevalia Coffee maker that quit and then going to get to building switches for the layout.

Hope your all having a good day.
 
Well, I've added Kadee #5's to nine cars and one loco. Eight of the cars were body mount conversions. Looks like the fun has to stop though as I'm getting low on couplers, spring plates and screws. Time to put the stuff away until I get more supplies, whenever that is.

So far I've added couplers to an IHC Lehigh Valley C628 loco, Life-Like ICG flat car with containers, Athearn 62' tank car, Life-Like 40' TOY'S R US boxcar, Life-Like 34' covered hopper, Life-Like Chessie 100 ton hopper, Conrail 40' boxcar, Life'Like (Industrial Rail) Chessie 40' boxcar, Life-Like Santa Fe 40' boxcar, Bachmann Burlington 41' Hi-Cube boxcar (1972).
You're a highly productive rolling stock restoration mechanic Jeffrey!

Speaking of mechanics........I never made it to harbor freight because my 16 year old toyota tacoma developed a serious vibration at speed three miles north of town. It's either in the front end or driveline somewhere. Turned around and drove slowly.....straight to a trusted reputable local repair shop I've used before. The service manager hopped right in and drove it with me as passenger. After checking it out he had another crew member give me a ride home. They're going to look at it tomorrow and give me an estimate.

This truck has been such a great vehicle ever since new.....now has 145,000 miles. I've re-wrapped the original muffler....twice in the last two years....with a $6 piece of galvanized sheet metal and hose clamps. Have a feeling this repair job will cost a bit more than that. :rolleyes:

Mike
 
I was busy today. I installed draft gear boxes and Kadee #5's on five freight cars (three Life-Like, one Bachmann, one unknown) and installed #5's on an Athearn B&O 34' ribbed side hopper.

For now it's time to select which of these ten cars I'm going to use on the layout and put the others in a box for whatever fate awaits them. There are sixteen others waiting to be worked on still. That box will go in the closet for now. When I get more couplers and screws I'll bring it out again and pick up where I left off.

Tomorrow I think my father and I will be doing some Christmas shopping. The time for that is up to him.

Well it's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011907.jpg
 
Tomorrow I think my father and I will be doing some Christmas shopping. The time for that is up to him.

Well it's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011907.jpg

Jeffrey:

You have had a couple of productive days. Now, the "fun" begins. My last on line shopping parcel arrived this evening, so I am officially "done" for this year.

All that is left is grocery shopping.
 


Good morning gang
45f outside right now, going for a high of 55f with a chance of showers.
A week til Christmas and 55, :rolleyes: I guess no white Christmas again this year!:(
Oh bother!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top