ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
Gomez Addams
Staff member
As for the deflated tires, tubes are your friend.
Mail delivery was a little late today. I got two boxes, both containing one disk drive each. The first is an ordinary Apple Disk II 5.25" disk drive. It came with a diskette already in it. Hooked the drive up to my boot boot card (slot 7) and ran a full test on it. Drive speed perfect! Read/write function perfect! Operation is very quiet. I then booted the diskette. It was extremely anal about booting from slot 6 so booted from there. It's a game called 'Infidel', a Zork type text adventure. It seems to work very well.
The other drive is a 5.25" 'Lobo Drives' disk drive. Runs good but it's noisy. Sounds like dry bones being rubbed together. It quieted down a bit during testing. The drive speed was at 198.7, the extreme low side of the speed range. I reset it to 200.4, the nominal setting halfway between the extreme low and extreme high speeds. 200.4 is as close to perfect as it's getting. While not an Apple drive it's what's called 'Apple compatible'. It recognizes DOS 3.3 (mostly what I use) but doesn't recognize ProDOS. I could fix that by replacing the 'Lobo Drives' control board with an 'Apple' control board but then it wouldn't be a 'Lobo Drives' drive anymore. It would be a drive with the 'Lobo Drives' name on it. I didn't check to see if it recognized CP/M but then I won't be using it for running CP/M programs.
Fed/Ex delivered the item I got for my niece. She's gonna flip when she sees it. I'm expecting more stuff tomorrow. A 1-pack of blank disks, a game disk (Mystery House), a tools disk (diagnostics), a DVD for my BIL (Red, Bruce Willis, go figure), a model kit for my nephew (Munster Koach).
My father got me a 'gift' yesterday. A set of print cartridges to be used in his HP J4550 All-in-one. I figured it would be something he'd benefit the most from. Well I tell you what, I'm gonna put some use on those cartridges.
Photobucket techs are goofing around with the settings again.
DSD, Karl & Terry:
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to look into that slime stuff. I know I'll eventually need it. The "gas extender" stuff I added to the tank last night worked. I went out and it started right up. I let it run for about 20", shut it off then let it sit an hour, and restarted it. As of right now, I'm good to go with the snow thrower.
Feeling ambitious, I cleaned a gutter and put out the Christmas lights. Looks good! Nothing extravagant, just multi-colors along the garage and a wreath on the front wall between the living room windows. I used to do the tree in the front yard, but it has grown so much that it is no longer a viable option. In any event, too many times up and down the ladders, now my knee is throbbing.
After dinner, if there is anything left in the tank, the layout beckons.
Joe
Good Cold Afternoon from Coarsegold,
It was not only quite cold last night but very moist too so it tends to penetrate that much more. The back porch thermometer is reading 40* so in the shade outside it should be 30*, lets see what Wunderground Weather [WW] says is going on? They say it's 44.9 °F with a Hum-i-dity of 53% and going for a low tonight of 29 °F. Time to get the fireplace going again I think but then I need to get out and cut some wood, Oh joy, more work to pull me away from working on the layout but it would be good to keep some heat in the house. So now I'll see just how ambishus I am?
Say Jeffrey: With the bad spills you took doing laundry I'd say you should wear a Crash Helmet, Knee pads and elbo pads as prodection. It may seem like I'm joking but it sure would be protection for you.
Well-Known Member
Staff member
Thought this was a very appropriate Xmas decoration
Gomez Addams
Staff member
Thought this was a very appropriate Xmas decoration
I know that's Santa's favorite scale...
Hey, that works too!
*
Today was a little busy for me. As I posted earlier I got two disk drives today. An Apple Disk II and a '
Lobo Drives' 5.25 floppy drive. Both tested good. The Disk II is flawless. The '
Lobo' turned out to have a serious problem. It was destroying the start and catalog tracks of some disks. I tracked the problem back to the drives internal control board. So that board is now in the junk box and an Apple board has been installed in it's place. That also meant changing the drives interface cable. A 20-tab card edge connector wasn't going to work on a board with a 20-pin connector. So now I have a drive with a '
Lobo' chassis and an
Apple control board and the '
Lobo Drives' logo on top. So is that a '
Loble'? or an '
Appblo'? or an '
Appobo'? Whatever it is it now runs DOS 3.3 and ProDOS and would probably run CP/M if I put it on slot 6. It still sounds like dry bones rubbing together. I then spent a couple of hours repairing the destroyed parts of the disks that had been effected. That's where a good bit copy program comes in handy. In most cases only one sector of a track was effected so only that one sector had to be replaced. All of the disks involved were copies. That's why I still have original software with viable backups that are 30+ years old.
So the Christmas gifts for the family are starting to come in. So far I have the gifts for my niece and my BIL sitting over here against the wall. My father is enjoying his new shoes. I'm still waiting on the gifts for my nieces husband, my nephew and my sister. My step mother has made it plain that she wants nothing from nobody so that's exactly what she's getting.
Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.
Good Morning! from Tipton IN.
It's Fri 12/6/13
Temperature in TIPTON IN
Good Very Cold morning, It's3:41 Am.
It 32* on the back porch so the outside temp should be 22*, lets see what WW has to say? Per their current temp reading it's 25.6 °F with Humidity of 93% and the high for the day is 43 °F. Burr too cold indeed.
Say Bill: Glad to see you brought out the six pot coffee maker as I think many of us will be needing it.
More later.
Good Mornin gang!
Its lightly raining, temps around 50. Supposed to cool down later
Hot coffee and breakfast pastries on tap for right now, then some paint work to do. then later, pick JR up from school, drop some engines off to a customer, then go to a friends house for a run session tonight!
Ken, are you coming to Mike's?
Now that I didn't have to take SWMBO to and from work, I might get something accomplished today!
L8ter gators
Good morning folks.
It's a balmy -5 degrees right now with wind chills later of 35 below zero!

We must have skipped December and gone right to January.
I have nothing else to add. Just thought I'd share that!
Have a nice day.
Good Morning - Happy Friday!
After two days of strenuous (for me) activity, I am so sore.......Just proves I don't get enough exercise. It's Jersey Dreary again this morning. The temperature peaked at 63° already this morning and has since dropped to 54°, with a light rain. I still have gift shopping to do..........
Have a good one.
joe
Happy Friday yall! No weather report necessary since Karl has provided that already.
Ken, are you coming to Mike's?
Yeah, I'll be there!
. . .
Haven't been posting here much lately because I'm reinstalling all the structures on the steel mill peninsula, while at the same time trying to devise a way to keep all the spurs within arm's reach. I'm sure glad my local friend gave me that box of leftover coke oven kit pieces - I had to use some of those to build a new conveyor, since the one from my previous layout vanished without a trace during the years of storage.
Howdy everybody .
Freezing rain here. Bad stuff. I recall the Kentucky Ice Storm of 2009. It was horrible. Our road was too icy for driving on the hills. Then broken trees fell all over our road. We were stranded 9 days with no power, no land phone, no cell phone, and no county water. We closed off the center of the house and stayed there with the gas fireplace to keep us somewhat warm. We stored refrigerator food in the garage and frozen food on the deck. We ate mostly cheese and crackers. Drank mostly soda pop.
We put our Christmas tree up yesterday . Still deciding on Christmas plans and still might go to AL for some of it.
Happy Model Railroading.
Saw this on facebook this morning,
Jeffrey, is it true??
They do that in Jersey too.
Joe
Nice catch on the tire though! When you get a chance, check out a product called Slime. Had tires on an old mower that kept going flat. Added slime 7 years ago. Son now has tractor, tires are still holding air!
Karl:
Slime looks like an interesting product. I did a search or retailers on the Slime web site, and apparently, Slime is apparently, not sold in New Jersey. There are plenty of locations in NYC, and PA, including all the Auto stores, but nothing in Jersey. Have to take a ride over to Staten Island and check it out. Thanks again for the tip.
Joe
Saw this on facebook this morning,
Jeffrey, is it true??
Pretty much! Some years we're still mowing the grass at Christmas, some years we're wondering if it's going to be a white Christmas and once in a while we're cussing cuz we got a white Christmas. Hail and sleet on a sunny day in July isn't unheard of either.
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)