Coffee Shop XXV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's 26° here and sunny. The high will be 49°.

Today I'll be removing the high spots from the drywall compound I put down on the layout a couple of days ago. It should be hard enough for that by now. Got my Christmas shopping done yesterday and only spent $112. I still have rolling stock to get rid of. The list can be found here. In a few days I'll be putting up a new list.
 
Good morning folks

It was 35 F when I left the house this morning. The Temperature climbed to 37 F but by the time I got near the office it was 33 F. There was also a snow squall that creating a traffic nightmare as folks were overacting and slamming on their brakes. Our high is supposed to be 38 F.

It has been a busy few days. My forum time seemed to be very limited these days. Work has been crazy trying to get projects to meet fluctuating deadlines. My son was sick for a few days last week and home from school. My daughter’s club volleyball season has begun and she is practicing two nights a week. Their first tournament is supposed to be in Lancaster, PA over the MLK Day weekend.

The tree is up and decorated. We finished putting out the last of the outside decorations. There are one or two decorations that we are debating if we are going to put them out this year. The cats have some say in whether they come out or not.

My son spent yesterday setting up HO track under the tree. Since it is old EZ-Track of various ages he had some trouble finding enough that worked. He still has a couple of dead spots and a few pieces that cause derailments for no apparent reason. We wanted to go to the Greenberg Show on Sunday but we didn’t make it. He suddenly remembered some homework he had to do that required Mom’s help.

Tonight my son has his last Boy Scout troop meeting for the year. I will be working with several boys to finish their Pathfinding Merit Badges. The badges go away at the end of the year.

Corey, hope everything works out with having a child.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
I'm happy to report my "dirty old man" license is still valid after this weekend at the McWane Center displays.
I spent over 4 hours watching "Thomas the Tank Engine and his Sodor friend, "James" clatter their way around the layout. Actually, I spent most of the time watching the scenery around the layout.
One little red-headed 4 year old fellow named Jack spent quite a bit of time running both trains. Thomas has two passenger cars, so I get the kids to stop at the passenger station and ask the people to depart. I ask the kids to tell me how they speak to the passengers. Jack's first answer was, "Get off!" I told him the polite way was to say, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please depart."
Then, I asked Jack how to get new passengers to board? His mother whispered to him and he said, "All Aboard". I told him the passengers on the back of the terminal could not hear him. This time, everyone could hear him shout," All Aboard."
Due to the number of kids, most could only run the trains for two or three minutes. Jack's 6th visit was about 5:30 and the crowd was leaving the museum. He spent 15 minutes running both trains as I got to tallk to his mother. She has beautiful auburn hair and is a Heisman winner in her AUBURN tee shirt. Like I said, the scenery was great!

I hope everyone gets through this cold weather without any bad problems.
Stay warm and safe!
 


Good morning everyone.

Tom, thanks

It was 23 degrees in my garage and -13 degrees:eek: outside of the garage. My garage door sounded like an old man getting out of his recliner. Lots of groans, cracks, creaks and shaking! It's so cold out that the ice covering all of the roads will not melt with salt. It's ice skating on four tires. Oh well, we've skipped December and moved right into January I guess.

I ran my trains around a little last night. I'm completely stalled in the progress department. The big debate is how to build my roads. I'm thinking drywall compound for the winding, rural highway under the trestle and styrene for the concrete city streets. The trestle section is almost done with scenery so I don't want to get drywall dust all over if I have to sand the road. I suppose I can always use some compressed air to blow the dust off if nothing else. I guess I need to go to Lowes and pick up a bunch of for sale signs and just get busy. We have company at our house Friday and Saturday night and then the big cleaning for Christmas. I just can't get myself to start a big mess until we're done hosting. I guess I'll settle for running in circles. Isn't that what the Christmas season is all about anyway?:D

The boss should be getting back from his appointment so I better look busy! Have a great day everyone.
 
Woodlands scenic make a nice road paste, im not shure thought if you have to sand after it dry. Ive only seen the results.
We finaly cleaned the garage, wich mean we can now start removing stuff in the basement and destroy a wall so I can get my 8x12 layout :)
 
Ok, all you Northern Boys, shut the danged door. We've had enough of your VERY cold air:eek::D. (Guess we will have to put up with it another few days.)

All you "older" gents (50+) that get PSA blood work, I went to the Urologist this morning and he said I shouldn't worry about the small fluctuations in my numbers or the value of the numbers, that everyone's does fluctuate and some have higher numbers than others (as Carey said). It is more of a trend for continual increase or drastic changes that is of more concern. So, for me my numbers and finger wave checked out ok and I will go back in March for another PSA to make sure all is still good. Those of you that don't get this test, should! While not an absolute indicator, it is still another value that your Doc can assess along with the finger wave.;)

:):)I sure feel relieved. Anxiety can sure play hell with you.:):).

Ya'll have a good one.
 
Corey,

If you use the drywall plaster, you can wet sand it with a wet sponge. It does eat the sponges up, but it eliminates the dust.

Rex, It is slightly warmer in Mobile. It was 30 when I left for work at 5:30am. Suppose to get up to the mid-40's, but the sun better get to work if we are going to make that!

If you are over 30, you need to get the prostate checked regularly. Lost a friend in his late 20's, so it can strike early.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Glenn
 
Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I'll try the joint compound. I guess I kind of forgot about wet sanding that stuff. It's been a while since I've had to use it. Oh boy, I think I may be back in the saddle again! :D Every once in a while I get stuck, not knowing what to do next. I have the day off tomorrow so maybe I'll give it a try.
 


It sure has been windy here in old Arcadia today. Never got over 50* all day. had some 40mph winds that tried to push my HHR off the road. Right now at 4:50pm it's 40*. We're supposed to be in the low 20's by 4am tomorrow. The coldest it's ever been here since 1971 was 14* in about 1977 the year that it snowed. Lost a lot of Orange tree's in this part of the country in 1976 & 77. I'll give the temp. early & later.
 
It sure has been windy here in old Arcadia today. Never got over 50* all day. had some 40mph winds that tried to push my HHR off the road. Right now at 4:50pm it's 40*. We're supposed to be in the low 20's by 4am tomorrow. The coldest it's ever been here since 1971 was 14* in about 1977 the year that it snowed. Lost a lot of Orange tree's in this part of the country in 1976 & 77. I'll give the temp. early & later.

Larry, Im further north of ya!:eek: Body Parts are going to freeze and drop off tomarrow at work. Today at the park it didn't get over 40*.... I wonder why no one wanted to be there on such a wonderful day!
 
I'm happy to report my "dirty old man" license is still valid after this weekend at the McWane Center displays.
I spent over 4 hours watching "Thomas the Tank Engine and his Sodor friend, "James" clatter their way around the layout. Actually, I spent most of the time watching the scenery around the layout.
One little red-headed 4 year old fellow named Jack spent quite a bit of time running both trains. Thomas has two passenger cars, so I get the kids to stop at the passenger station and ask the people to depart. I ask the kids to tell me how they speak to the passengers. Jack's first answer was, "Get off!" I told him the polite way was to say, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please depart."
Then, I asked Jack how to get new passengers to board? His mother whispered to him and he said, "All Aboard". I told him the passengers on the back of the terminal could not hear him. This time, everyone could hear him shout," All Aboard."
Due to the number of kids, most could only run the trains for two or three minutes. Jack's 6th visit was about 5:30 and the crowd was leaving the museum. He spent 15 minutes running both trains as I got to tallk to his mother. She has beautiful auburn hair and is a Heisman winner in her AUBURN tee shirt. Like I said, the scenery was great!

I hope everyone gets through this cold weather without any bad problems.
Stay warm and safe!

Why you Dirt old Man! I'm telling your wife of your activities at the Train Show, if'n ya don't cough up some cash this way......;):p
 
Well, I spent my day going around the lot thawing door locks on RVs. It got up to 32 today, early in the morning, and the temp has steadily declined since. Oh, and the wind is blowing about 40mph from the North across the open lot where all these trailers are parked. And of course, all the trailer doors are on the North side of the trailers. At 5 O'clock, the service manager walked up to me and asked me why I hadn't gotten any of my work done. I marched his happy little tush outside, and started walking him across the lot, showing him each and every one of the 55 trailers I had to defrost today. His response? "Oh. Well, you better hustle, we've got real work to do.":mad:
It's supposed to get down to 12-15 degrees tonight, still with the strong wind out of the North. Brr...
 
Burrrr... It ain't supposed to be this cold in Dixie! I think it topped out around 30 degrees F.

Since I was off work sick today, I got to work on a full system restore of our 3 year old Vista machine. :rolleyes: What a pain! One of the kids was working on a school project and picked up a computer virus that wiped us out. I fought it, but after several attempts to get things back on track ended up just nuking the dang thing and starting over. Fortunately all our digital image files are backed up on multiple external hard drives... ;) Since I wrote the original restore CDs three years ago, Vista required 101 stinkin updates. That took H-O-U-R-S. :mad: Whoever the punk is that wrote that malicious code needs a trip to the woodshed. What comes around goes around. The time this has cost me is substantial. There is no telling how much time and money this virus has/will cost in total.

All I have to do now is get a few more programs installed. Photoshop and the various plugins are up next.
 
Why you Dirt old Man! I'm telling your wife of your activities at the Train Show, if'n ya don't cough up some cash this way......;):p

Chris- she said I could look as long as I didn't touch or drool on anyone. The second part is the harder part.:D
Besides, I don't think $.07 will buy much silence from you!
 
It's -7F right now. Man is my car going to groan when I start it after sitting outside all day at work. It has a certain kind of whine when it starts in this cold. At least we're prepared for this cold up here. I feel sorry for the folks down south that don't have the clothing or insulation for this cold.
 
It's supposed to get down to 12-15 degrees tonight, still with the strong wind out of the North. Brr...
Wow! Our 26° tonight will look like a heat wave by comparison.


Well I got the high points on the wall joint compound cut down and it looks like angles for the super elevation on the curves is right. Took about ten minutes to vacuum up the mess. Also got the information for my third list of stuff to get rid of together. There's some vehicles in this one. Things like vans, cars, Caterpillar equipment and there's a few freight cars as well. I'll post the link for the list Wednesday.
 


It's -7F right now. Man is my car going to groan when I start it after sitting outside all day at work. It has a certain kind of whine when it starts in this cold. At least we're prepared for this cold up here. I feel sorry for the folks down south that don't have the clothing or insulation for this cold.

Corey, I use to have to make quarterly sales meeting trips to St.Louis every year & it seemed like it was always in the winter time. The 1st time I went was in Dec. & I didn't have the winter clothes I needed to stand outside the terminal waiting for the shuttle to the hotel. I was the only guy out of south Florida that worked for the company. I got to snuggle w/all the young ladies that were in the group w/me. After that 5 day trip I bought enough winter clothes for the next trip. So, I still have all of the jackets w/lined hoods, gloves w/linings, boots w/lining & heavy socks. So, I don't freeze anymore when it's cold. My house has R39 insulation, but, my trainroom is a metal building that's not insulated at all w/lots of gaps around the doors. I have a large gas heater out there, but when it gets down to 20* I have a hard time keeping it warm enough to work.:D:);)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top